possible move to punta cana!

charmaine

Mar 5, 2008
hello there, i am currently residing on the north coast - puerto plata with my family! We have been considering on moving to the East coust - punta cana for a few weeks now! As we have never been to the East coast before after doing night after night of research about punta cana and reading endless reviews.Yet still We have a few set back which are holding us from leaving POP, i was hoping that 1 of u guys could help me out. Firstly renting, Iam looking for a 2 bedroom,1 bathroom, fully furnished apartment or villa. It doesn't need 24 hour electricity nor cable TV not even a pool just a standard bog basic place on the cheep, preferably electricity included.Secondly, travelling from puerto plata. What would be the easiest way to travel down there as i have no transport myself and i do not know of anyone regularly traveling to and frow on top of that i also have a cat (i dont think caribe tours would appriecated a cat wondering around on the coach:cheeky:) and finally i never mention what area we are looking to move to. Hopefully we would like to go to Bavaro. We have herd alot about the place and know a few people who live thier and they recommend it! so any experiences, reviews & suggestions openly welcome.
many thanks

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
You could contact poster laurajane about Bavaro - if I remember correctly that is where she lives. You could also look up a recent post by Windeguy who I believe posted that animals were not permitted on either Metro or Caribe.

charmaine

Mar 5, 2008
thank you for your reply! i knew that aniamal on the coach would not be a possibilty ::cheeky: lol but we have now come to a conclusion that it will be cheeper to hire a car, because of all our belongings! were would be the cheepest place to hire 5 seater car for 1 week what price am i looking at many thanks again

laurajane

Bronze
May 23, 2005
www.thecircusofdreams.com
Hi,
Thanks for the intro Lambada. A two bed apartment in Bavaro will cost you at least $500 a month, As for a house or villa I would guess from $700 depending of course if you would like to be in a gated community. If you would like to live near Bavaro and also still want to be in the heart of things and not surrounded by tourists, I would recommend Higuey where i live. It isnt for the faint hearted but i have a very large three bedroom, two bath house and we pay $500, It is not in a gated community but it really depends on your preferences. There are many supermarkets and other ammenities whereas Bavaro is very nice but if you do not have transport can be very isolating and shopping for the basic's is difficult to find and very expensive.
It is an hours drive from Bavaro, An hour from La Romana. So we find we have the convenience and the culture that Bavaro lacks. There is some apartment s that are actually very nice in higuey that have 24hr power and security (The only one of it's kind) and they are $ 400.
If i can be of any more help, Presuming i have been just now ha ha please feel free to contact me.

Laura :)

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Thanks for the intro Lambada.

Good oh, I can retire gracefully now that charmaine is in the hands of someone who knows about her proposed destination..............charmaine has to be another Brit btw (saw she called cigarettes fags in another thread which must have had the US folks confused as to what exactly it was she bought in the supermarket :) ) so you are welcoming one of your own, laurajane.

laurajane

Bronze
May 23, 2005
Oh goodie another brit! Yes i confused an American friend the other day saying "Bog roll" (classy i know) and "Nappies". Just hope i can help, There are so many places for rent in Bavaro no doubt it would likely confuse even the locals as where is the best place to reside. Higuey is for sure the best place if someone is on a budget as their money will go a lot further and Bavaro is not a place to live if you want to immerse yourself in the culture and like i mentioned before, If you don't have transport it would be a nightmare place to live!

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
totally agree,
no own transportation you should forget about bavaro/punta cana.
maybe i missed a point, but i hope you did not really mean you never been to bavaro but you pack all your belongings/dog/what so ever and come over here to live here??
check out the area first, if your friends who recommended bavaro so strongly they should've been able to provide all the above requested info and much more themselves.
don't get me wrong, i live myself in bavaro since over 13 years, i run my business here and i do not have plans to leave for what ever reason, i just feel fine over here, but a big moove should be planned and checked out first very carefully.
yesterday i saw at Steve's bar at the plaza bavaro the promotion of a new appartment house nearby(looks really nice from the outside, not been inside) just 1 mile in front of the plaza, middle of bavaro, for just 12.000.- pesos per month for 2 rooms, bathroom, balcony, furnited and electricity included(no AC, just Ven's of course). aside of that promotion i would completely agree to the above post that you are looking for $500.- per month and up, cable and electricity always on a extra bill, of course no ocean front or beach access, and like always over here you need your own car, don't even think about a Pasola or Motorbike.
good luck
Mike

laurajane

Bronze
May 23, 2005
I believe the OP is currently visiting Bavaro for a couple of days to check things out. I would like to live in Bavaro myself but Higuey is so convenient if a little mad, I would feel safer living there but i dont drive and i think i would feel isolated. Hopefully the OP will find something she likes, but i have recommended she take a trip to Higuey just to compare the pro's and con's of both areas.