Mich. cities say hundreds of manhole covers stolen

Status
Not open for further replies.

DR_DEFENDER

Jan 8, 2002
FLINT, Mich. - Officials in Flint, Mich., say they've had to replace hundreds of manhole covers and grates that were probably stolen and sold for scrap.

ADVERTISEMENT

The Flint Journal reported Monday that nearly 400 cast iron covers and grates have been taken from streets in the past year. A cover can fetch $20 from a scrap yard but can cost the city more than $200 to replace.

Officials in neighboring Burton say they've lost about 200 covers and grates during the same period. Utilities supervisor Mike Holzer says it leaves behind holes up to 35 feet deep.

Genesee County officials say they've been able to reduce thefts of county-owned covers by outfitting them with a bolt that is turned by a wrench only they have.

I just found this interesting since it has been happening in the DR as well....I guess things are not just bad in the DR, huh?

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
This has been happening throughout Latin America and the Caribbean. The copper wiring stolen from CAASD water pumps in Ozama last year, telecom cables in Jamaica and Brazil, traffic signals in Argentina and manhole covers in Chile. All stolen and sold for scrap because metals prices are so high, with some people tracking this stuff saying much of it is getting exported to Asia. Several countries (such as Chile) are responding by wisking through legislatures bills for laws that would make scrap metal dealers fully document all purchases and exports, report all suspicious scrap offers, and face heavy sanctions if found to have stolen scrap. Authorities in Brazili have been coping with it primarily through sting operations against scrap dealers (one such op in Southern Brazil 2.5 metric tons of stolen wire from Brasil Telecom!) and other enforcement measures.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
Sorry guys, but this thread is not DR-related in the least.

I'm sure you'll agree that the happenings in Flint, Michigan and Santo Domingo have absolutely nothing to do with each other.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.