Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Niñera (Santiago)

This may be another thing that I am going about in an American sort of way but please bear with me.
    So, how do I go about finding a babysitter?
    Do I place an ad?
    Ask everyone I know until someone is referred to me?
    Take to the streets with a bullhorn?
    Also, can you do background checks in the Dominican Republic?
    I do not think that I would need anything such as a nanny cam because my children are old enough to tell me what is going on , and in fact are very fiesty.
    What is the going rate (PAY) for Niñeras? I would need someone only when I am in the US for 5 days at a time. But they would need to stay at my home for those 5 days.
    They will be needed once a month...maybe twice at times.
    Help me figure out how I should go about this...all of your advice and experience greatly appreciated.
    Thanks!!!
    SHALENA

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SKing View Post
    This may be another thing that I am going about in an American sort of way but please bear with me.
    Do I place an ad?
    I do not think that I would need anything such as a nanny cam because my children are old enough to tell me what is going on , and in fact are very fiesty.
    What is the going rate (PAY) for Niñeras? I would need someone only when I am in the US for 5 days at a time. But they would need to stay at my home for those 5 days.
    Help me figure out how I should go about this...all of your advice and experience greatly appreciated.
    Thanks!!!
    SHALENA
    Judging by this post, i can assure you, you will have a hard time adjusting to this country. Like robert says: leave your american mindset at the airport.
    AZB

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AZB View Post
    Judging by this post, i can assure you, you will have a hard time adjusting to this country. Like robert says: leave your american mindset at the airport.
    AZB
    Judging by my attitude, I can assure YOU, that I will not have a problem adjusting to the DR.

I asked a few questions...if you do not know the answer then why are you posting?

The FIRST thing that I stated was that I knew that I was asking some American type questions.....

We ALL know that you are the expert on everything about Santiago and everyone else fails in comparison to you. Thank you...

NEXT..........
    SHALENA

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default american style questions

Well firstly that you ask if there are such things as background checks makes your questions VERY american. I don't know if you will find someone, BUT I would not be leaving the country for 5 days at a time until I had seen this person as a full time nanny for an extended period of time.

You could come home and have her entire family living with you! Or God only knows what other things!!

I think once you have been there for 6 months or so you will look back at this question and laugh at how absurd it sounds. I am not doing this to attack you but trying to help you understand that you really need to be here for an extended period before you can make a lot of these kinds of arrangements.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok, I will make it even easier.
    First of all, please try to get rid of this gringo mentality and behavior. This way you will avoid 1/2 of your headaches. when you move to santiago, I will recommend a maid who will clean your house and will help you get a nanny to watch your kids. Now don't get your hopes high, she will not be a rocket scientist. You would have to have lots of patience for maids and nannies. They will do stupid things, break and often do things to annoy you. So make things simple for them so they won't get confused. I hope you speak some spanish.
    Now when you are ready to move to santiago, simply send me a PM and I will guide you through. Its all easier than you think.
    AZB

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Shalena

I'm sure you can easily find someone in the range of RD1500 a week to cook and clean and watch after the kids. As far as taking them to a doctor's appt., that maybe a little more involved.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I would think you may have a hard time finding someone for just 5 days a month. You may need to hire someone full time.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RGVgal View Post
    I would think you may have a hard time finding someone for just 5 days a month. You may need to hire someone full time.

that would be my thought also.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Do I place an ad?
    Thanks!!!
    SHALENA
    Shalena,
    dont listen to AZB, he's still upset about meters in santiago....and he's allergic to kids (and chopos and tigeres- but not if they are breaking the meters for him)..... anyhow

Dont worry about sounding too "american" in your questioning, its sometimes difficult to let your guard down on these things when that is unfortunately the way we have been conditioned.

With that said, in DR for the most part, its word of mouth and someone will recommend an aunt, a cousin, a neighbor etc. Just ask around, talk to the people in this forum about it that live in DR and have been there for some time, a lot of them have. Robert, AZB, etc, these guys live and work and breath DR, so side-bar them!

As for a background check, yeap you can get one....via the aunt the friend or the neighbor that recommended the person, you will find the DR women are nurturing for the most part and genuinely care for children.
    And of course, you will be able to judge for yourself, just have the person come around a few times before you travel, get to know them etc.
    AND beleive me, your neighbors will tell you the CHISME if something is going on while you are gone...DR people have that "noticiero univision" knack about them LOL

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Do I place an ad?
    Thanks!!!
    SHALENA
    Shalena why don't you ask your friends in the DR to find you a girl from the Countryside (Campo) to live with you, you will have to feed her, and buy her clothes (don't worry, NO Gap, Banana Republic or BeBe) fleat market clothers, and send her to school (public of course). She will clean your house and take care your kids

That's what my mother used to do, they are usually pretty good and grateful, especially if you bring her gift from the STATES (not expensive gift).

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast