Ni?era (Santiago)

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
This may be another thing that I am going about in an American sort of way but please bear with me.
So, how do I go about finding a babysitter?
Do I place an ad?
Ask everyone I know until someone is referred to me?
Take to the streets with a bullhorn?
Also, can you do background checks in the Dominican Republic?
I do not think that I would need anything such as a nanny cam because my children are old enough to tell me what is going on , and in fact are very fiesty.
What is the going rate (PAY) for Ni?eras? I would need someone only when I am in the US for 5 days at a time. But they would need to stay at my home for those 5 days.
They will be needed once a month...maybe twice at times.
Help me figure out how I should go about this...all of your advice and experience greatly appreciated.
Thanks!!!
SHALENA

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
This may be another thing that I am going about in an American sort of way but please bear with me.
Do I place an ad?
I do not think that I would need anything such as a nanny cam because my children are old enough to tell me what is going on , and in fact are very fiesty.
What is the going rate (PAY) for Ni?eras? I would need someone only when I am in the US for 5 days at a time. But they would need to stay at my home for those 5 days.
Help me figure out how I should go about this...all of your advice and experience greatly appreciated.
Thanks!!!
SHALENA

Judging by this post, i can assure you, you will have a hard time adjusting to this country. Like robert says: leave your american mindset at the airport.
AZB

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Judging by this post, i can assure you, you will have a hard time adjusting to this country. Like robert says: leave your american mindset at the airport.
AZB

Judging by my attitude, I can assure YOU, that I will not have a problem adjusting to the DR.

I asked a few questions...if you do not know the answer then why are you posting?

The FIRST thing that I stated was that I knew that I was asking some American type questions.....

We ALL know that you are the expert on everything about Santiago and everyone else fails in comparison to you. Thank you...

NEXT..........
SHALENA

sylindr

Nov 29, 2007
american style questions

Well firstly that you ask if there are such things as background checks makes your questions VERY american. I don't know if you will find someone, BUT I would not be leaving the country for 5 days at a time until I had seen this person as a full time nanny for an extended period of time.

You could come home and have her entire family living with you! Or God only knows what other things!!

I think once you have been there for 6 months or so you will look back at this question and laugh at how absurd it sounds. I am not doing this to attack you but trying to help you understand that you really need to be here for an extended period before you can make a lot of these kinds of arrangements.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Ok, I will make it even easier.
First of all, please try to get rid of this gringo mentality and behavior. This way you will avoid 1/2 of your headaches. when you move to santiago, I will recommend a maid who will clean your house and will help you get a nanny to watch your kids. Now don't get your hopes high, she will not be a rocket scientist. You would have to have lots of patience for maids and nannies. They will do stupid things, break and often do things to annoy you. So make things simple for them so they won't get confused. I hope you speak some spanish.
Now when you are ready to move to santiago, simply send me a PM and I will guide you through. Its all easier than you think.
AZB

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Shalena

I'm sure you can easily find someone in the range of RD1500 a week to cook and clean and watch after the kids. As far as taking them to a doctor's appt., that maybe a little more involved.

RGVgal

Bronze
May 26, 2008
I would think you may have a hard time finding someone for just 5 days a month. You may need to hire someone full time.

lalla

Bronze
Mar 10, 2003
Do I place an ad?
Thanks!!!
SHALENA

Shalena,
dont listen to AZB, he's still upset about meters in santiago....and he's allergic to kids (and chopos and tigeres- but not if they are breaking the meters for him)..... anyhow

Dont worry about sounding too "american" in your questioning, its sometimes difficult to let your guard down on these things when that is unfortunately the way we have been conditioned.

With that said, in DR for the most part, its word of mouth and someone will recommend an aunt, a cousin, a neighbor etc. Just ask around, talk to the people in this forum about it that live in DR and have been there for some time, a lot of them have. Robert, AZB, etc, these guys live and work and breath DR, so side-bar them!

As for a background check, yeap you can get one....via the aunt the friend or the neighbor that recommended the person, you will find the DR women are nurturing for the most part and genuinely care for children.
And of course, you will be able to judge for yourself, just have the person come around a few times before you travel, get to know them etc.
AND beleive me, your neighbors will tell you the CHISME if something is going on while you are gone...DR people have that "noticiero univision" knack about them LOL

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
Do I place an ad?
Thanks!!!
SHALENA

Shalena why don't you ask your friends in the DR to find you a girl from the Countryside (Campo) to live with you, you will have to feed her, and buy her clothes (don't worry, NO Gap, Banana Republic or BeBe) fleat market clothers, and send her to school (public of course). She will clean your house and take care your kids :bunny:

That's what my mother used to do, they are usually pretty good and grateful, especially if you bring her gift from the STATES (not expensive gift).

lalla

Bronze
Mar 10, 2003
I would think you may have a hard time finding someone for just 5 days a month. You may need to hire someone full time.

Hmmm, not necesarily.

My inlaws have different people for different things and they are not always around full time. The only full time people are the cook and the maid and everyone else is sorta on call.

So she can have a lady she trusts, come around every so often to babysit etc and then be the 5 day person too.

lalla

Bronze
Mar 10, 2003
Shalena why don't you ask your friends in the DR to find you a girl from the Countryside (Campo) to live with you, you will have to feed her, and buy her clothes (don't worry, NO Gap, Banana Republic or BeBe) fleat market clothers, and send her to school (public of course). She will clean your house and take care your kids :bunny:

That's what my mother used to do, they are usually pretty good and grateful, especially if you bring her gift from the STATES (not expensive gift).

Damn, your asking her to ADOPT a babysitter???

or better yet, find her husbands next lover? LMFAO!!!

seriously, I know some people have done that, but ITS NOT NECESARY in DR. And that also doesnt work for everyone.

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
Shalena,
dont listen to AZB, he's still upset about meters in santiago....and he's allergic to kids (and chopos and tigeres- but not if they are breaking the meters for him)..... anyhow

Dont worry about sounding too "american" in your questioning, its sometimes difficult to let your guard down on these things when that is unfortunately the way we have been conditioned.

With that said, in DR for the most part, its word of mouth and someone will recommend an aunt, a cousin, a neighbor etc. Just ask around, talk to the people in this forum about it that live in DR and have been there for some time, a lot of them have. Robert, AZB, etc, these guys live and work and breath DR, so side-bar them!

As for a background check, yeap you can get one....via the aunt the friend or the neighbor that recommended the person, you will find the DR women are nurturing for the most part and genuinely care for children.
And of course, you will be able to judge for yourself, just have the person come around a few times before you travel, get to know them etc.
AND beleive me, your neighbors will tell you the CHISME if something is going on while you are gone...DR people have that "noticiero univision" knack about them LOL

Like Lalla said the best background check in the DR is the "Chisme" of the neighbor, they are going to tell even how many time she blinks, Believe they are very good :bunny: Some people don't even sleep at night to be able to "llegar el Chisme completo".

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
If one of your children is male, consider timing your away times with college holidays & employing a bright young student with whom you can discuss your requirement that the male child be disciplined on those rare occasions it might be needed. I say this because of the tendency I observe in muchachas to control the girls whilst letting the boys get away with behaviour you would not tolerate (which brings an added issue for you when you return and expect him to be as you have raised him to be).

Either way, only go on the recommendation of a trusted friend. There are plenty of unemployed women in Santiago who would jump at the chance of some part-time employment I'm sure. You might even find a teacher who is unemployed who would be prepared to work for you.

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
Damn, your asking her to ADOPT a babysitter???

or better yet, find her husbands next lover? LMFAO!!!

seriously, I know some people have done that, but ITS NOT NECESARY in DR. And that also doesnt work for everyone.

It was just an opinion, i don't think the OP has a husband either.

My whole family had done that.

I gave her that suggestion because she will leave the country for period of 5 days and her kids will stay in the DR, it's better if she has somebody permanent, somebody whose won't give the "I'm sick excuse" i can't go today, especially when kids are involve.

RGVgal

Bronze
May 26, 2008
Hmmm, not necesarily.

My inlaws have different people for different things and they are not always around full time. The only full time people are the cook and the maid and everyone else is sorta on call.

So she can have a lady she trusts, come around every so often to babysit etc and then be the 5 day person too.

For something as important as this, I wouldn't chance it with a part-timer. I think the kids would feel more comfortable staying with someone that they interact with on a daily basis. I think it would be weird for them to spend all their time with their mom and then for 5 days stay with what would basically be a stranger.

Also, if the person is full time she will be able to observe her daily routine with the kids and show her how she wants things done.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Sorry, I do not know how to paste multiple quotes so I will do this one by one...bear with me..
SHALENA

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Ok, I will make it even easier.
First of all, please try to get rid of this gringo mentality and behavior. This way you will avoid 1/2 of your headaches. when you move to santiago, I will recommend a maid who will clean your house and will help you get a nanny to watch your kids. Now don't get your hopes high, she will not be a rocket scientist. You would have to have lots of patience for maids and nannies. They will do stupid things, break and often do things to annoy you. So make things simple for them so they won't get confused. I hope you speak some spanish.
Now when you are ready to move to santiago, simply send me a PM and I will guide you through. Its all easier than you think.
AZB

I am definitely trying to get rid of the gringo mentality, but it will take some time...
I will also definitely PM you... although I don't agree with everything that you say...you know Santiago, and I need someone like you on my side!:squareeye
SHALENA

lalla

Bronze
Mar 10, 2003
For something as important as this, I wouldn't chance it with a part-timer. I think the kids would feel more comfortable staying with someone that they interact with on a daily basis. I think it would be weird for them to spend all their time with their mom and then for 5 days stay with what would basically be a stranger.

Also, if the person is full time she will be able to observe her daily routine with the kids and show her how she wants things done.

How old are the kids?

It is very important, you are right. But if she hires someone to help around the house, this same person can watch the kids when shes gone. SO not necesarily a full time babysitter, until she had to go away. But still the same person, so stability etc.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007

I was going to offer to pay Full-time even though the person would only work 5days (or some months twice: 10 days)
I don't know if that would be a mistake on my part or not???
What do you guys think?
SHALENA