Forest fires

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
question to those of you currently residing in the DR:

The Environment Ministry says that it's getting word out about this being high risk season for wildfires and asking people to report any that they may see. I'm wondering if you folks are actually seeing public service ads (PSAs) to that effect on the TV or in the print media, or audio PSAs on the radio?

If so, what are they like? Just a simple message, or do they use a special character or catch phrase? [I'm thinking like the old Smokey Bear PSAs in the US intoning in that deep baritone "Only You can Prevent Forest Fires".

I'm prepping a Green Team blog entry on forest fires in the DR, and this is the last component missing I need to complete the entry.

Thanks in advance for your help.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
I personally haven't seen or heard anything. Also, dry season was at the beginning of the year and with the bit of rain we've been getting lately, I personally don't think forest fires are currently that much of a threat...

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Kate, the Environment Ministry and forest service says that there are two wildlife seasons a year. The worst one is in Feb-April, as you said, but the second (July-Aug) starts now. (I recall a very nasty one in this period near Pico Duarte about 2 yrs ago). Below is a graphic they provide showing the month-to-month tracking of fires over a 15-yr period:
environment_DRfiresbymo95-05.jpg

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
The Environment Ministry says that it's getting word out about this being high risk season for wildfires and asking people to report any that they may see. I'm wondering if you folks are actually seeing public service ads (PSAs) to that effect on the TV or in the print media, or audio PSAs on the radio?

Did it actually say this - about getting word out? I ask because on Environment's own website the news piece dated 14 July seems more geared to getting word IN (see last para here).
Medio Ambiente en l?nea - Inicia segunda temporada de incendios forestales

I read the national papers online & the online versions never have the paid space advisories or ads but there has been nothing in the print version of our local Puerto Plata paper, El Faro.

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
By "word in," you mean getting people to report any they see, yeah, they seem focused on that. But if most of the DR does not use the internet or read a paper, how are you going to get people to report fires or know who to report it to if not through some sort of mention on TV and radio, or posters?

In some Ministry assessments of what they've done and what they need to do, they've mentioned the need for public education, awareness and vigilance, but from what I can tell, not doing a very job job of it so far. But I'm trying to double-check if, since I don't see Dominican TV or hear Dominican radio on a daily basis like you folks, maybe I'm jumping to a wrong conclusion.

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
They did share an old poster that frankly does not strike me as very effective, which is one of the points of the draft blog entry I"m going to make unless I find that (1) they have other PSAs out; (2) the PSAs are good enough to actually serve their intended purpose.

environment_DRfirePSA.jpg

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Being raised on Smokey the Bear I guess I have a special regard for the subject (that and "Don't be a Litter Bug!")
Forest fires here are generally started by the slash and burn farmers. With the success of Plan Sierra, we have seen an increase in the forest cover and a reduction inthe population of the sierras.
One of the reasons that we need tropical storms is to reduce the possibilities of fires--it's raining today so that's good....

As far as public service announcements?? Nah, just government propaganda dedicated to telling us how good and great Leonel and his henchmen are...

HB

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Yeah, I remember well Smokey's baritone -- made quite an impression on me as a kid.

Then there's Woodsey Owl "Give a hoot -- don't pollute!" Not as impressive as Smokey but lots of kids got the message nonetheless.

I wanted to include an old Smokey poster in the blog post, but the US Forest Service just denied me permission. :( Says Smokey's image (which they have trademark on) should not be used outside the US. I explained that many of the blog readers may not know Smokey and this miss the point about classic PSAs, but they won't budge...

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Forest fires here are generally started by the slash and burn farmers. With the success of Plan Sierra, we have seen an increase in the forest cover and a reduction in the population of the sierras.
One of the reasons that we need tropical storms is to reduce the possibilities of fires--it's raining today so that's good....

Yeah, the Ministry says that stats show 85% of all wildfires in DR were result of slash-and-burn gone wrong....

So it's preventable. Just needs some effort at public education and awareness and vigilance -- far more than a post on a website (Ministry) most Dominicans will not see or in a newspaper most Dominicans will not read. Bet if done right, even short PSA bursts on radio and TV would help alot...