car rental

D

Dan Welker

We are planning to visit DR for two weeks in December and had planned to rent a 4WD vehicle. However, after reading alarming warnings in several travel guides about road conditions, police corruption, treatment of foreign drivers, etc. I'm wondering if this is unwise. Would it be better to travel by bus?

Would like to spend a few days in Santo Domingo and then 4-5 days each in two other locations from which local tours could be obtained. Interested in more than just nice beaches. Would like to see some of the parks and more interesting towns. Any recommendations as to best places to use as bases and best tours to take, sites to see?

When travelling across country by bus, should tickets be purchased in advance (are there reservations)?

For mid-December travel are reservations at hotels (smaller, mid-price hotels)necessary?

S

Sarah

Based on two personal bad experiences with rental cars in the DR (several flat tires, not that there weren't several nice Dominican gentleman available to help me...) I would advise taking a taxi or bus wherever you need to go in the DR. They're always available and the drivers are friendly and quite aware of the road conditions and much better equipped to handle any situation that might arise. Caribe Tours is the bus company I use most often. The cost is cheep (for example, 65RD from Santo Domingo to Barahona - that's $4US), the busses are very clean, comfortable and often seem brand new. You'll get to watch a movie and probably freeze, as the AC always works a bit TOO well. I believe that reservations can be made 24 hours in advance. Check the Yellow Pages for their number as well as other options. Regarding taxis: I think they're a bit expensive, so agree on a price in advance of each trip. Good luck. Have a great trip!

P

Papa Juan

Metro and Cariibbe have good modern a/c busses and fares are not expensive --- BUT --- If you really want to get to those special places that are NOT on regular bus lines, rent a car. A caution though; it is less expensive if you book your car rental in the states or canada; like National. you will save money and also have your reservation secured. Most main highways have good roads; and you control your time and your picks on where to go.
Have a great trip.