Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Two box's of matches change?

I had a laugh today and thought I'd share it with you!

Went shopping in Supermacado Tropical in Puerto Plata. When I payed the girl shrugged her shoulders and said in Spanish no cambio (no change) and gave me two box's of matches...
    I told her that I didn't smoke. She said then you will just have to light you're stove with it.

Apparently the change problem is still alive and well in the DR

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Apparently the bad attitude problem and service without a smile is still alive and well also ha ha!!

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

That's when you need to grab a Presidente and tell them that you don't have change either!

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I would love to have the brass knuckles to try and pay for my weekly shopping with a dozen shopping carts loaded with chicklets!! Surely if they consider it to be as good as money it works both ways right???? ha ha

In my local supermarket they haven't given out change for over a year, I know there is supposed to be a problem with the minting in canada but when i think how much the supermarket makes taking a few pesos from every customer that walks out the door every day also makes me think that they probably don't want to resolve the problem. As we know the cashier doesn't even usually acknowledge the issue, just hands you your reciept and moves on, and god forbid should you question it. One girl actually said to me 'What is the problem, do you need three pesos?"

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

I have developed a way I can live with that issue and still keep a smile:
    I take the chicles and tip the take out boys with them... compensating with some chelitos as necessary. You know... they take it with a smile too... no problem.

... J-D.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hipocrito Mejia View Post
    That's when you need to grab a Presidente and tell them that you don't have change either!
    Ganando seismil pesos mensuales no digo yo estar encarao!!!!!!

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Call me strange if you like but I find the idea of a couple of boxes of matches or, indeed, a few Hall's sweets a quaint way of dealing with the small change issue - the coins only weigh heavily in your pocket or bag anyway..

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by whirleybird View Post
    Call me strange if you like but I find the idea of a couple of boxes of matches or, indeed, a few Hall's sweets a quaint way of dealing with the small change issue - the coins only weigh heavily in your pocket or bag anyway..
    No, I'd call you another shopkeeper getting a little extra.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gringo View Post

Went shopping in Supermacado Tropical in Puerto Plata. When I payed the girl shrugged her shoulders and said in Spanish no cambio (no change) and gave me two box's of matches...
    I told her that I didn't smoke. She said then you will just have to light you're stove with it.

Either use a debit card when this happens or put the Halls in your change purse and give them back as change.

Or if it's 103.25 ......drop the 100 and say adios.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gringo View Post

I do smoke but even after 16 years I'm not licensed on Dominican matches because I can't get the darn things to light for me......... I do a deal with the cashiers - you (personally not the store) keep the change this time but next time you give me any change necessary i.e. we'll do it alternately. I have discovered that people's memories are a lot better than I ever thought............ Amazing what an incentive scheme produces.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast