Two box's of matches change?

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I had a laugh today and thought I'd share it with you!

Went shopping in Supermacado Tropical in Puerto Plata. When I payed the girl shrugged her shoulders and said in Spanish no cambio (no change) and gave me two box's of matches...
I told her that I didn't smoke. She said then you will just have to light you're stove with it.

Apparently the change problem is still alive and well in the DR :)

laurajane

Bronze
May 23, 2005
www.thecircusofdreams.com
I would love to have the brass knuckles to try and pay for my weekly shopping with a dozen shopping carts loaded with chicklets!! Surely if they consider it to be as good as money it works both ways right???? ha ha

In my local supermarket they haven't given out change for over a year, I know there is supposed to be a problem with the minting in canada but when i think how much the supermarket makes taking a few pesos from every customer that walks out the door every day also makes me think that they probably don't want to resolve the problem. As we know the cashier doesn't even usually acknowledge the issue, just hands you your reciept and moves on, and god forbid should you question it. One girl actually said to me 'What is the problem, do you need three pesos?" :speechles

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
I have developed a way I can live with that issue and still keep a smile:
I take the chicles and tip the take out boys with them... compensating with some chelitos as necessary. You know... they take it with a smile too... no problem.

... J-D.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Call me strange if you like but I find the idea of a couple of boxes of matches or, indeed, a few Hall's sweets a quaint way of dealing with the small change issue - the coins only weigh heavily in your pocket or bag anyway..

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Call me strange if you like but I find the idea of a couple of boxes of matches or, indeed, a few Hall's sweets a quaint way of dealing with the small change issue - the coins only weigh heavily in your pocket or bag anyway..

No, I'd call you another shopkeeper getting a little extra.

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007

Went shopping in Supermacado Tropical in Puerto Plata. When I payed the girl shrugged her shoulders and said in Spanish no cambio (no change) and gave me two box's of matches...
I told her that I didn't smoke. She said then you will just have to light you're stove with it.

Either use a debit card when this happens or put the Halls in your change purse and give them back as change.

Or if it's 103.25 ......drop the 100 and say adios.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com

I do smoke but even after 16 years I'm not licensed on Dominican matches because I can't get the darn things to light for me.........;) I do a deal with the cashiers - you (personally not the store) keep the change this time but next time you give me any change necessary i.e. we'll do it alternately. I have discovered that people's memories are a lot better than I ever thought...........:). Amazing what an incentive scheme produces.

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
When you shop at the same place, on a constant basis, is when the solution solves itself as far as this problem is concerned.

Ginnie, if you are still smoking, please try ,Zyban Side Effects | Drugs.com This really does work , but not for all.

I used to smoke 3 packs per day ,washed down with a case of beer.........I stopped smoking ,but only the girfriend stops me from the beer!

So how long do you think that will last.......even I'm surprised......longer than most!

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
Thank you but it was a statement of fact, not a plea for help. If I wished to give up I would. I don't wish to. ;)

Same with me as far as Alcohol is concerned.

My Aunt Betty just passed away at 84, smoking 2 packs per day with zero exercise.

She also survived two other rounds of cancer.

She was a nurse that never worked once she was married, however with knowledge, lack of stress, etc. She beat the actuarial tables.

As Spock would say " Live long and prosper....and make sure you know what that one thing is"

Jack Palance

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I wonder if it's a regional thing. I've been given gum or matches on the North Coast and SDQ, but never (yet) in the Cibao or Jarabacoa.