Calling the States from Sosua

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
I know this has been asked/answered before, but my specific questions are:

1) Does anyone know what it costs when I use either of my prepaid calling cellphones - I have Claro and Viva (Centennial).

2) Does anyone know what the rate would be if I used a call center?

3) Skype doesn't seem to work well for me; is there any other service that works consistently well? I'm going to be needing an hour's time on a radio show and don't want to have delays, echos, drop outs, etc.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Ro

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
Unless something has changed, the rate to call the states on Claro is the same as calling across the street in the DR. Call center will be a little cheaper.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
The cost to call from your cell phones are the same as the cost of a local call in the DR. Should be about 6 or 7 rd per minute.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I recall seeing .05/min calls to the US @ the call center next to the Rx on Dr. Rosen adjacent to Helados Bon.

tambo'

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
Thanks for your quick replies. For convenience, I think I'll use my own cell - I had heard that it was the same as a local call - amazing.

And I know just whee that call center is Tambo - I'll check it out.

Regards
Ro

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I meant $RD5/min!
You might get a break on an hour from a call center, since they pay next to nothing, and are using VOIP.

Try the guy to the left of North Coast Divers, he is very nice and speaks English.

tambo'

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
I can't seem to get a straight answer out of either of my cell phone providers:

How much does a local cost call per minute? Anyone know? I do know with my Viva phone when incoming calls are more than 10 minutes long I get a credit for a nominal amount of pesos.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I can't seem to get a straight answer out of either of my cell phone providers:

How much does a local cost call per minute? Anyone know? I do know with my Viva phone when incoming calls are more than 10 minutes long I get a credit for a nominal amount of pesos.

Very simple to find out. On Viva you dial star 75 to find out how many pesos you have. Just do this and then make a one minute or less call and call #75 again and you will know what they charge. Also on Viva, if you talk for about 10 seconds or less you will pay Zero.

For Claro you dial star 22.

One more thing about Viva. They are full of it when they say you have a credit. They give out ice in the winter.

Last edited: