It pays not to be honest.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

eralc777

Aug 6, 2005
So i had to leave the country yesterday for the first time in a year. I previously asked for the price i would have to pay in tax to leave. I wasnt really too impressed about paying a few thousand pesos...so was toying with the idea of just saying i had been here 2 weeks and taking my chances. Then a friend told me that the airport was now all computerised and they would scan my passport and know i was lying. So i wrote that i was here for a year and the guy asked me for 3500 pesos!!! The cheek. i was only expecting to pay 2000 anyway. SO i just said i havent got it, simple as. So i think i ended up giving him the 2000 and he took and it and was like, whatever. But it just goes to show that you can lie to get out of paying the tax!!! I wish id of known this before!!

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
This makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

1) You arrived last year-you didn't know they scan passports? They've been doing that for quite a while now. They didn't scan your passport when you arrived a year ago? How is this?

2) You're suggesting it pays to be dishonest yet you couldn't pull off getting around the fee for overstaying.

3) You wound up paying the 2,000 pesos upon leaving...so what is the point of this?

Last edited by a moderator:

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Yes, you tried to cheat the system and came across someone that had the same mindset, your bluff was called :)

I suggest in the future you pay what's owed and report any officer that is looking for a bribe. The airport authorities are getting tougher and that person knows they will loose their job if caught.

Follow up.....

Apologies, I stand corrected after reading bigbirds post below. You came across an officer that was honest and he let you off. You should be posting how refreshing it was to find an honest officer, despite your best attempts to bribe him

Last edited:

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
..... So i wrote that i was here for a year and the guy asked me for 3500 pesos!!! .......

If this post is correct...........

I believe these are still the current charges for overstay of tourist card:

15 Days - 3 Months: $300 Pesos
3 Months - 9 Months: $500 Pesos
9 Months - 1 Year: $2000 Pesos
1 Year - 1.5 Years: $3500 Pesos
1.5 Years - 2 Years: $4500 Pesos
2 Years - 2.5 Years: $6000 Pesos
2.5 Years - 3 Years: $8000 Pesos
3-5 Years: $12000 Pesos
5 Years+: $15000 Pesos

You owe 3500 pesos.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I wasnt really too impressed about paying a few thousand pesos...so was toying with the idea of just saying i had been here 2 weeks and taking my chances. ................. But it just goes to show that you can lie to get out of paying the tax!!! I wish id of known this before!!

I might not have the full picture here because maybe some posts were deleted or edited BUT.........eralc, you've just arrived in UK after a long flight and your priority is to post about how you wished you had bucked the system more than you already did? It matters not how 'impressed' you are about paying a few thousand pesos. The fee is the fee.

You're a teacher aren't you? With children? Now on maternity leave? To say that I find this post disappointing and revealing is an understatement. And even if you thought this way, why post about it? I'm sorry eralc, I try not to judge people but there are times when I'm left (almost!) speechless.

Please re-enter this thread & tell me that somehow I have picked up the wrong end of the stick.

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
The OP's dishonesty is that she lied about not having the money to pay the fee which she probably did. I'm sure many have done this in different settings. To me the more pressing problem is with the airport staff for accepting what was offered. She should have been told to get the rest of the money or you loose your flight for another day.:surprised

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
The OP's dishonesty is that she lied about not having the money to pay the fee which she probably did. I'm sure many have done this in different settings. To me the more pressing problem is with the airport staff for accepting what was offered. She should have been told to get the rest of the money or you loose your flight for another day.:surprised

I tend to agree but isn't that what is so "nice" about Dominicans - certainly would not be the case in the UK where all officials wear their 'jobs worth' hats!

Aug 21, 2007
This post isn't about the OP's experience with exit fees at POP, but it is about the airport tightening procedures in recent months.

I left with my dog in early July. Of the 5 times that I have traveled back and forth with my dog, it was the first time that the POP airport sent me to customs to pick up (and pay for) the required exit paper for my dog. On previous trips I even asked how I go about getting the paper and paying for my dog, and I was told it wasn't necessary!

By the way, I was not permitted into the customs area until I first signed a visitor form, handed over my passport, and wore a "visitor" tag. My bags were scanned upon entering the area (baggage claims and customs.) After paying the fee and getting the required paper for for my dog, I had to return to the information desk to return the visitor tag to get my passport back.

My assumption is that this procedure with the visitor tag is in place because I was entering the airport without a ticket (at that point......from there I went to ticketing.)

By the way, the STI and SD airports always required me to get the customs form for my dog and pay the pet fee.

I am happy to see the POP airport authorities are making an effort to tighten and improve procedures and operate with more integrity and professionalism. It is for the betterment and safety of all.

Lindsey

Last edited:

elton

My thread snapped!
Jul 1, 2008
once you leave and come back does the period start from the time you return again or carry on from the first time you arrived - I think i know what i mean , if anyone else does

eralc777

Aug 6, 2005
Just to clear this up....
I was here 11 months so i should of had to pay 2000 pesos, but the guy wanted 3500. So i paid the 2000 and then looking back i saw that i could of lied and got away with it but didnt.

I never said i didnt pay Lambada. I merely like to save money where i can and i was thinking on my flight back.....go and get on your high horse with some one else please. So because im on maternity leave im not allowed to post anything about money...fine! I love how this group supports freedom of speech and are so quick to judge and condemn people.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
I was here 11 months so i should of had to pay 2000 pesos, but the guy wanted 3500....

So i had to leave the country yesterday for the first time in a year.

This is where the confusion is. If only in the DR 11 months why not just inform the individual you owe 2000 pesos. Any problems have him get his supervisor. Seems simple enough to me.

....I merely like to save money where i can............

You didn't save any money, you paid what you should have.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Ah! 11 months. Forgive me, I thought it was a year. And the reason silly old Lambada thought it was a year?

So i had to leave the country yesterday for the first time in a year.

So i wrote that i was here for a year and the guy asked me for 3500 pesos!!! The cheek.

You are correct - 11 months is RD$2000, a year is RD$3500. High horses and clarity of posts notwithstanding. :cheeky:

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I owe Berzin an apology for questioning his judgement as moderator this morning.....

.......This thread deserves the 2008 single Most Retarded Thread of the year award and should have been left locked!

I really hope for future generations, the OP does NOT teach reading comp. or ethics.

tambo'

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
I was here 11 months so i should of had to pay 2000 pesos, but the guy wanted 3500. So i paid the 2000 and then looking back i saw that i could of lied and got away with it but didnt.

How? This is what I'm not getting unless you are leaving something out.

Throughout this whole process where did an opportunity to get on the plane and not pay this fee present itself?

And since the title of the thread is "It pays not to be honest" I find it puzzling that you would purposely leave this part of the story out.

Last edited:

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
From Tamborista
.......This thread deserves the 2008 single Most Retarded Thread of the year award and should have been left locked!

tambo'

This indeed sums it up pretty clearly......

francerec

Jul 14, 2008
it pays?????

It never pays to be dishonest, unless you think that it is OK to cheat. So next time a friend or a boss or a business cheat you, remember that it is OK. In what kind of a moral cespool you live?

Status
Not open for further replies.