Vonage with OneMax/Viva

ustelephone

Mar 31, 2004
www.ecoislandadventures.com
I posted this before.. but I have to imagine somebody out there is using a Vonage box and one of these wireless providers. I'm flying in Thursday and need to be online and on the phone right away. I need to know if I should start ordering a DSL or if buying one of these at the store is the way to go.

Also, does anyone know what these companies require other than cash? Will I need a Dominican Cosigner?

Many thanks,

Ustelephone

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
I posted this before.. but I have to imagine somebody out there is using a Vonage box and one of these wireless providers. I'm flying in Thursday and need to be online and on the phone right away. I need to know if I should start ordering a DSL or if buying one of these at the store is the way to go.

Also, does anyone know what these companies require other than cash? Will I need a Dominican Cosigner?

Many thanks,

Ustelephone

If you want vonage you need to call Vonage and order it from your own country. Bring the router with you. Vonage will try to mail you a router or you can just buy one at best buy.

Keep in mind that anyone can order Vonage while you are living in the DR but you will need a U.S. or Canada mailing address ( I use a mail forwarding service , my address reads apt 800 instead of box 800 ).
and you will also need a credit card for payment

As far as DSL goes, it depends on your provider as far as conditions to get new service.

I did not need a cosigner.

goodvin

Jul 23, 2007
santodocam - he was asking about Vonage. Try to contact him.
About OneMax/Viva - they are different providers with different equipments WiMax/EVDO and different coverage areas. And they are expensive - you have to buy their equipment.
So, if there where you are going to stay there is a DSL use it - it will be better, cheaper and RELIABLE.

Grizz

Jul 16, 2008
Adding to the original question (sorry no advise, I'm a rooky at this) : My family uses vonage here in Canada and the US... so if I have the equipment, I should be able to use it like they do here??? I am moving to DR in less than 3 weeks and was thinking about this the other day. At the moment I am on skype... will that be good enough for the first couple of months???

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
Internet

Adding to the original question (sorry no advise, I'm a rooky at this) : My family uses vonage here in Canada and the US... so if I have the equipment, I should be able to use it like they do here??? I am moving to DR in less than 3 weeks and was thinking about this the other day. At the moment I am on skype... will that be good enough for the first couple of months???

Yes , but you still need DSL first, and that is your first hurdle.

goodvin

Jul 23, 2007
First of all, where are you going to stay in DR?
Another possibility (if you need the internet connection right away) - is to share WiFi with some one, but in that case you need WiFi router (I do this way for "back up" - I have wifi from the nearest hotel).
But your own DSL - is the best solution.

elrohopastor

May 2, 2008
we use both skype and vonage here with relatively little problems. the skype actually seems to be more reliable and ues less bandwidth than vonage. we have dsl through codetel.

goodvin

Jul 23, 2007
that is best way to communicate from DR and "skype to skype" conversation is encrypted.