Advice or warnings??

J

julian

I'm taking a trip to DR in mid October. Renting a car and plan to tour what I can of the county for about 10 days, stopping whereever late afternoon or early night finds me each day. I'm an active senior male travelling alone. Anyone have any advice or warnings of places/things etc that I should avoid or any recommendations for this little venture? (other than the normal "be careful") Many thanks!

S

Susanne

Make sure your car rental company provides you with sufficient insurance. Lots of them don't. Also: People generally drive like crazy. If you are not used to driving in a developing country, be VERY careful. Don't overtake unless you are absolutely certain that the road is clear. Don't trust anyone waving you ahead when you can't see anything for yourself.

And don't drive at night. Lots of cars, cows (!), mopeds etc. don't use lights. Make certain that your horn is working ;-)

If you get into any traffic accident, be prepared for pretrial detention. It is normal in the DR, as far as I have been told. And they don't really care if your plane leaves tomorrow.

Otherwise: No problem. Enjoy yourself. Great country.

Regards,
Susanne

J

Julian Anderson

Susanne - Natasha

My thanks to both of you for your time, effort and good advice! I appreciate you both.