Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Metro fares: Here and there

I was just reading in today's New York Times that the MTA is faces with a little $900 million "gap" that needs to be filled in...budget-wise that is.
    With that in mind, I keep remembering that the "announced" fare for the Sto Dgo Metro will be RD$25, or in "real" money about 72. The fare in NYC today is $2.00 but there are Metrocards and other cards and plans that let you ride for a little less. However, NYC is planning to increase their income by 8%, which could mean a fare increase in consecutive years for only the second time in the 100 year history of the subway system (the first time was 19981-1982, I think).

So, with costs that have to be higher than NYC--especially energy costs and maintenance costs--how can dear Leonel and his flunkies charge just 72? The answer is, of course, that they can't, and the end result will be a huge subsidy applied to the system and paid for by us, the taxpayers, the middle class and the poor. Isn't it funny that the "middle class" is the one that gets squeezed all the time, so fitting, don't you think??

Anyway, just keep this in mind....I am sure things will get interesting.

HB

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
    how can dear Leonel and his flunkies charge just 72? The answer is, of course, that they can't
    Don't worry, the Leonel defenders and apologists will soon be here to explain this new math to us mere mortals.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

They expect (probably) that millions people going to use the Metro.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by goodvin View Post
    They expect (probably) that millions people going to use the Metro.
    Since HB is comparing it to the NYC subway system; keep in mind that the population of NYC is approximately 4 times that of SD, so ridership volume is not how they will make the difference.

Like I posted above; the math will be interesting. One quarter of available users at 36% of the price doesn't cut it, even if operational costs are lower, which is probably the reasoning that they'll use.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

We await Mr PICHARDO with his crystal ball.........

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

LOL Dr1's swami.....yes let's wait and see!

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by A.Hidalgo View Post
    We await Mr PICHARDO with his crystal ball.........
    Let's be fair! There are others with the government issued, purple calculators.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
    I was just reading in today's New York Times that the MTA is faces with a little $900 million "gap" that needs to be filled in...budget-wise that is.
    With that in mind, I keep remembering that the "announced" fare for the Sto Dgo Metro will be RD$25, or in "real" money about 72. The fare in NYC today is $2.00 but there are Metrocards and other cards and plans that let you ride for a little less. However, NYC is planning to increase their income by 8%, which could mean a fare increase in consecutive years for only the second time in the 100 year history of the subway system (the first time was 19981-1982, I think).

So, with costs that have to be higher than NYC--especially energy costs and maintenance costs--how can dear Leonel and his flunkies charge just 72? The answer is, of course, that they can't, and the end result will be a huge subsidy applied to the system and paid for by us, the taxpayers, the middle class and the poor. Isn't it funny that the "middle class" is the one that gets squeezed all the time, so fitting, don't you think??

Anyway, just keep this in mind....I am sure things will get interesting.

HB

If the government charge more than $25 pesos, regular people won't be able to use it, not to mention poor people who uses Carros de Conchos.

You can't compare the NYC Subway system (the largerst or one of the largerst in the world) with the simple one in the DR, plus New Yorkers CAN afford the raise.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ezequiel View Post
    If the government charge more than $25 pesos, regular people won't be able to use it, not to mention poor people who uses Carros de Conchos.

You can't compare the NYC Subway system (the largerst or one of the largerst in the world) with the simple one in the DR, plus New Yorkers CAN afford the raise.
    How do you know New Yorkers can afford the fare increase? There are poor people in NYC also.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast