Turning right on red

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Even though I have a Dominican driving licence, I was wondering if anyone could shed some light about what to do at traffic lights.

I'm not sure where the DR adopted it's driving laws, but I know that in certain States of the US, for example, you can turn right at a red traffic light, providing you give way to the left.

Whilst driving in Santiago I have observed drivers who do turn on red and those that wait for them to change. I have also had impatient drivers behind me giving a rendition of their horn if I am in the right lane indicating right at a red light. The reason I would like to know this is that I don't want to give the Santiago AMET another excuse to pull me over for a minor infraction that last cost me 5,000RD$ in bribes! They're everywhere now in Santiago, one on every corner and they're ruthless with Gringos!

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
Play it safe and abide by the rules, RED means STOP, so wait your turn. from what i have seen, driving in Santiago is safer and much better than any part of the island i have visited, why break the rules?
meanwhile in Santo Domingo there is no stop or red...everyone must be color blind and just GO GO GO

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
It is legal to turn right on a red over here. It is also advisable to turn left on red when you can so no one hits you from behind, even though not legal.

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
FYI, i have seen madness on la 27 de Febrero and Maximo Gomez where no one respected the lights and were moving and or turning at will....granted it was rush hour, or who knows what, but i witnessed this as a pedestrian and was afraid to even cross the street! no crossing guard = PANDEMONIUM
i drive everywhere in DR but that day i think i was grateful i was NOT behind the wheel and at that intersection! nuts....

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
It is legal to turn right on a red over here. It is also advisable to turn left on red when you can so no one hits you from behind, even though not legal.

Another way to avoid rearending at traffic lights is to jiggle - be visibly seen to move a few yards back, then a few yards forward then a few yards back, repeat until lights change. I find people keep their distance :). Known as the jeepeta hokey-cokey (or for US citizens the hokey-pokey).

And yes beeza you can turn right on red.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004

Left on red from a one way to a one way is legal.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
...... I have also had impatient drivers behind me giving a rendition of their horn if I am in the right lane indicating right at a red light. ..........

Trust me on this!

You get the same "Rendition of their horns" even if you intend to go straight.
How dare you get in their way on "their" street! ;) lol

They don?t care even if a pedestrian is crossing in front of your car.
All they know and care about is that you are blocking them from moving.

Left on red from a one way to a one way is legal.
You are assuming that the other driver is going the correct way on the one way and that the other one way is going to the "left".

Not that that would stop any native drivers here! ;)

Don
SantiagoDR

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
The Law 241 allows a right turn at all stop light UNLESS OTHERWISE PROHIBITED.
No ifs, ands or buts about it. The idiots that do not turn are holding up traffic.

Of course, just as in the states, this is a privilege NOT a right. So you have to be careful.
You should yield of course.

HB

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
Turning right on red?? I drive thru red lights in Santiago at night. I will slow down at the red, honk my horn and proceed right thru the intersection, hahahaha.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
Yes it is legal, and after 11:00 PM nobody would make me do a complete stop at a red light, I will just slow down, check both sides and go on.

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
AH YES! forgot to mention HONK YOUR HORN at all STOPS [whether stop sign, a street corner, or at a light] to WARN other drivers of your aproach/presence...and or high beam as well to let others know you are coming and or turning....or just DRIVING! LOL

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Yes it is legal, and after 11:00 PM nobody would make me do a complete stop at a red light, I will just slow down, check both sides and go on.

I do on green lights same you do on red. couse I presume the incoming trafic will not stop on red.

JJ.