Huelga , July 22nd

ridiela

Jan 22, 2007
I have heard that there is a "Huelga" (strike) in Las Terrenas since tonight.

The reason is that Tourism Authorities want to close S?nchez's Road to trucks (even small ones).

I heard that they closed this road today and that tomorrow they will close also El Lim?n's access.

Does anybody know if this is true?

Thanks,
Jos?.

Juniper

Apr 15, 2004
Jose, which road do you mean? The one over the mountain?

And who is closing the road to El Limon? The people on strike or tourism?

ridiela

Jan 22, 2007
Sorry for the bad information, but my english is not very good.

The road closed is the one of the hills, from Las Terrenas to S?nchez.

The other road is the one that goes from Las Terrenas to El Lim?n, the idea is to isolate Las Terrenas so anybody can go in.

The person that told me this, said to me that truck drivers are the ones who are closing it, because tourism authorities want to forbid them to use the road of the hills from Las Terrenas to S?nchez.

As I said before, I don't know if all this is true, I would like to hear something from somebody who is around the area.

Jos?.

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
Well, I certainly approve of the closing of the mountain road (Sanchez-Las Terrenas) to the trucks... It is very dangerous to have trucks (big Presidente/Coca-Cola trucks) driving from Sanchez to Las Terrenas by the mountain road... Many people died for that, and many people will keep on dying. As a matter of fact, the law already prohibits big trucks to use that road, but it is a municipal law, and those who know the Las Terrenas Sindico can only understand how this will never be enforced...

The Terreneros should instead do a good huelga about the terrible street conditions in the village !

Let the truck drivers go to H##ll !!!

Juniper

Apr 15, 2004
Way to go Squat, my sentiments exactly.

It is indeed supposed to be against the law for trucks to use that road. In addition to the danger they cause (to others and to themselves), they also destroy the road with their heavy vehicles.

Juniper

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Over for Now

Strike by truckers blocking the access in and out of Las Terrenas was over about 7 or 8 p.m. I hear. Started around noon. Delayed at least one flight out of El Catey to Lisbon. No violence, police in attendance, Ministry of Tourism called as well as local sindico and others on had to reduce the tensions. Tomorrow is another day and no promises from either side I hear.
Tourists were ****ed trying to get in and out.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Well, I certainly approve of the closing of the mountain road (Sanchez-Las Terrenas) to the trucks... It is very dangerous to have trucks (big Presidente/Coca-Cola trucks) driving from Sanchez to Las Terrenas by the mountain road... Many people died for that, and many people will keep on dying. As a matter of fact, the law already prohibits big trucks to use that road, but it is a municipal law, and those who know the Las Terrenas Sindico can only understand how this will never be enforced...

The Terreneros should instead do a good huelga about the terrible street conditions in the village !

Let the truck drivers go to H##ll !!!
Except for truckers going to h-e-double hockey sticks, I fully agree. That road should NOT allow trucks. It's difficult enough to build and maintain it for safety of cars and motos. The big truck just tear it to shreds.

There is nothing like entering a blind inside curve only to find an overloaded cement truck eating up half your lane.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Those trucks driver must be crazy delivering so heavy loads through this montain road , the worth is when you have to follow them and no way to pass.
They have two rules:
1- to cross this road with the seat belt off.
2- to keep the doors open just in case they need to jump out off the truck.

JJ.

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
The truckers and other transport unions are the only ones with enough power and organization to organize strikes. All strikes are only for the benefit of these pigs, they think all roads belong to them and don't care about anyone but themselves.

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
I was there yesterday. Could get in and through the narrow backroad. Not paved and not for the fainthearted. I drove a Kia Picanto, many people did get stuck. For a while the road was closed because they cut down a tree beside it. It was removed in the afternoon.

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
You did not answer the question.

Habia una huelga or not ?

P.

There was a real huelga on Wednesday... Nothing on Thursday, as I drove to Sanchez early morning... But rumor is that those damn truckers want to do another huelga soon...

To me, the only thing to do is informing the Terreneros about the fact that this truckers lobby is a bunch of crooks, but I don't have high hopes...

I'll just stay home...

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
You did not answer the question.

Habia una huelga or not ?

P.

There was a Huelga. Both main access roads were blocked (mountainroad from Sanchez and coastal road towards Limon). I was able to move in and out through a local dirt-road. No heavy traffic was moving, just moto's, jeepeta's and normal cars. To my knowledge that was the only road still open and it was heavily guarded by local police and army.