Pre-paid cell card and Dominican SIM - help needed

DRgirlatheart

Sep 20, 2003
Hi!

I will be arriving at Punta Cana airport this Saturday afternoon, and would like to get a Dominican SIM and a prepaid card so I can use my phone (it is unlocked, so it should work) while I am there. I have heard that there are Orange and Claro kiosks in the airport and that I should be able to take care of this when I arrive, but I honestly can't say I remember seeing them when I have been there before (probably because I wasn't necessarily looking for them - lol). Can anyone confirm this? If there are kiosks, can you give me an idea of where they are so that I don't waste a lot of time? We are being picked up by a shuttle, so I am not sure how much extra time we will have between arrival at the airport and departure for the hotel. If I can't do this at the airport, where is the best place to go? I will be staying in the Higuey area.

Also, does anyone have any recommendations as to what would work best in my situation? I am mainly just looking for something that I can use to call home if I need to and say "can you call me back?" or for family at home to call me during the day when I will probably not be in the room. Inexpensive text messaging would also be a benefit.

Thanks so much.

DR girl at heart

ggparts

Mar 20, 2003
Where are you leaving from?

I have a phone whith Claro sim that may be still active.
I will be happy to lend it to you.
I am in Ottawa though.
ggparts

DRgirlatheart

Sep 20, 2003
Thank you!

I really appreciate the offer, but am in Toronto. Since I am leaving Saturday, the chances of the SIM arriving in time would be pretty slight. I could pay for Expresspost, but would that be saving that much money from buying one down there?

How much does the sim cost? If it would be a significant savings, I would certainly be open to the Expresspost option.

Let me know what you think. And thanks again, regardless of whether it works out or not. :)

DR girl at heart

ggparts

Mar 20, 2003
Yep no problemo

I think the whole phone with sim and 100$ pesos credit was about 900$ pesos?
My "unlocked " phone was giving me a problem so I opted for the whole package new in the box a small Motorola phone.
So couriers will likely not be worth it. The only problem you may come across is that the cell phone offices at the airport may not sell sims or phones, this was the case at the POP airport. I had to stop at a store to do the business but I was on the way to Merto Bus station anyway so was not a big deal. Maybe someone else can comment on this.
Good luck and enjoy your vist.
ggparts