Luis Castillo and NFL megabucks

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Have been reading about Luis Castillo, the son of Dominicans who is making it big with the Chargers in National Football League. From what I read on the Chargers site, he is quite a remarkable person, very community oriented. His biography, mentions his mom, the entrepreneur...

"Luis’ mother is his inspiration. She was raised in a small village in the Dominican that had no running water or electricity and few educational opportunities. Today, she runs a multimillion-dollar company in New York that imports hair-care products from her homeland. Someday, Luis hopes that he too can emulate his mom’s success in the business world. In 2007, he returned to his alma mater and enrolled in the NFL’s Business Management and Entrepreneurial Program at the Kellogg School of Management at Northwestern University in Evanston, Illinois."

For those who didn't catch it in today's (23 July 2008) news:
US$43 million for Luis Castillo
Twenty-four year old Luis Castillo has signed a five-year extension of his contract with the National Football League's San Diego Chargers, making him a NFL Superstar. Castillo will receive more than $19 million over the first two years of the contract and possibly more than $43 million over the lifetime of the deal.
Castillo was born in Brooklyn, New York to a Dominican mother, herself a New York success story for her Dominican hair product import business. Castillo has kept close touch with his Dominican family and hosts a youth football clinic on his trips to the DR.
The San Diego Union-Tribune reports that this makes Castillo the first of the Chargers' high-profile players to sign a long-term extension since the team began its recent push to lock up a number of star players whose contracts are due to expire in the next few years. Castillo's contract was due to expire after the 2009 season but now runs through 2014.
Chargers.com - Team ? Roster ? #93 Luis Castillo | DE
SignOnSanDiego.com > San Diego Chargers -- San Diego home to Castillo's castle

gringosabroso

Oct 16, 2004
Father? Dominican?

I regret to see that the press reports of Luis' windfall contain no mention whatsoecer of his father? Or, . . . is this 1 of those questions that diplomacy dictates should not be asked. Food for thought?

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007
Father

I regret to see that the press reports of Luis' windfall contain no mention whatsoecer of his father? Or, . . . is this 1 of those questions that diplomacy dictates should not be asked. Food for thought?

His father was Greek, but was never a part of his life. From what I've read he met his father later in life, but they never developed a strong bond. He considers himself Dominican American because he was completely raised by his mother, within Dominican culture.

Unfortunately she was a single mom, but did a good job with her son. Much credit to her.

Mr. Lu

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Someone should e mail his webmaster to correct the name of his country!

Luis Castillo - Welcome

"Luis’ mother is his inspiration. She was raised in a small village in the Dominican that had no running water or electricity and few educational opportunities."

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007
Cool site. I like how he has the island in the background of the logo and the flags everywhere. Nice touch. I've met the guy. Seemed nice enough. Though there were many cameras around and I never was able to converse with him for all that long. All the lambones were flying around so you could tell he was bothered by that. Still, as far as outward appearances go he was a nice guy...

Mr. Lu