From Paraiso Cano hondo to SD

drmaniac

Jun 26, 2008
Hi guys!
I will be in samana city next August and from there I will go and spend few days in the capital SD. I know that the two cities are well connected by first class buses (caribe/metro), but I would like to stop by at Paraiso Cano Hondo for an entire day and one night (it should be a marvellous place). The easy way to do that is taking the ferry to sabana de la mar and from there getting a taxi to Paraiso. But I was wondering: are there buses from sabana to SD??? On the Paraiso website there ia a route passing troug Hato Mayor and San Pedro...any info on that??? How long does it take the journey from there?
THNX

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
It is about a 2-1/2 hour trip. Paraiso Cano Hondo is lovely. Be sure to take time to sit outside, overlooking the cliff, where you can watch the birds skydive at high speeds. At Paraiso Cano Hondo they will explain to you where to catch the bus that goes from Sabana de la Mar to Santo Domingo.

drmaniac

Jun 26, 2008
Thnx. So you highly reccomend to stop by at Paraiso? have you been there? do you think it is easy to find a double room for one night on the 15th of August without reservation? There is no booking service on their website (neither price listing). I tried to contact them by e-mail but no answer so far...

ben jammin

Aug 3, 2007
amtrakker posted not long ago that the rate was 1600 dom peso per night. use search tool with paraiso cano hotel and look up their post it seems very informative as i would like to visit there myself this winter... good luck and enjoy your time there:squareeye

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Hotel Paraiso Cano Hondo - Dominican Republic

I would contact them, as they are a small hotel. Cano Hondo is worth a visit, have been there and it is a special place. It is a different kind of tourism, one that brings peace to the spirit. My recommendation would be to go during the week as during the weekend it can get loud with the local crowds, but not too bad. Saturday, 16 August is a weekend, so I would contact them at the above link to make sure you have a place to stay.

Marilyn

Bronze
May 7, 2002
I went to Paraiso Ca?o Hondo about 5 years ago, and unless things have changed much it is a lovely place, and it is like being in paradise. I went on a one day trip with my kids' school and decided to stay overnight at the hotel; we took a room which was so huge I slept there with my mother and three children, it is very ecological, with ceiling fans and hot water. In the morning I thought there was a storm due to the noise outside and when I looked out the window it was the noise made by the natural waterfalls from the river that surrounds the hotel, which also form natural pools where you can take a refreshing splash during the day. All in all, i highly recommend Paraiso Ca?o Hondo for those interested in ecological tourism. There are also trails along the river where groups can go hiking up the hill for a refreshing morning or afternoon exercise.

PD: Food is to die for, starting with a typical Dominican breakfast of mangu con huevos, cafe con leche, juice and toast.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
MISPLACED THREAD- Moderators take note

Hi guys!
I will be in samana city next August and from there I will go and spend few days in the capital SD. I know that the two cities are well connected by first class buses (caribe/metro), but I would like to stop by at Paraiso Cano Hondo for an entire day and one night (it should be a marvellous place). The easy way to do that is taking the ferry to sabana de la mar and from there getting a taxi to Paraiso. But I was wondering: are there buses from sabana to SD??? On the Paraiso website there ia a route passing troug Hato Mayor and San Pedro...any info on that??? How long does it take the journey from there?
THNX

This thread in SW when it should be in NE-- talking about a hotel Paraiso Hondo - not the town.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
On the Paraiso website there ia a route passing troug Hato Mayor and San Pedro...any info on that??? How long does it take the journey from there?
THNX

The route from Sabana del Mar - Hato Major - San Pedro - SD with good weather and reasonable road conditions will take about 3.5 - 4.5 hours. The road system from Sabana del Mar to Hato Major is of questionable condition as it is unimproved in some streches, lined with road hazards such as potholes or washouts from surrounding streams that narrow the travel lane to barely passable. The section of road from Hato Major to San Pedro is paved with some sections potholed. The road system from San Pedro to SD is a paved multi-laned highway.

The buses from Sabana del Mar to SD are the minibus type with a capacity of 20-24 passengers. There is minimal storage capacity for baggage.

Enjoy your stay and regards,
PJT