Cars in the dr

golferaml

Jan 16, 2007
I would like to bring a car to the DR from the US. Does anyone know what is involved and how much duty and taxes are charged when it gets there?
I am a resident.
Thanks

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
This is a very bad idea. Use the search function to find out why, or just take my word for it. You will be sorry if you do it.

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
I would like to bring a car to the DR from the US. Does anyone know what is involved and how much duty and taxes are charged when it gets there?
I am a resident.
Thanks

If you need info - you may PM me. I can share some of ten years car exporter`s experience.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
We did it and uless you ship it in your one time tax exempt container, I would not do it.

Bob K

jackquontee

May 20, 2005
Ah yes, post # 1.

Quick and dirty, duty will be from 70-100% of the vehicles value, as determined by Customs, not what you say it is.

The process is a hugh pain in the butt.

And, the value of the vehicle will not be determined by Customs until after the vehicle has arrived in the DR.

I had a vehicle shipped last summer and didn't find the process to be that difficult, with the exception of the above.

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
And, the value of the vehicle will not be determined by Customs until after the vehicle has arrived in the DR.

I had a vehicle shipped last summer and didn't find the process to be that difficult, with the exception of the above.

Any car`s value for customs purposes is known in advance and is specified in a special table. One enters year, make and model and gets the amount of customs payment. I used to have the link to this calculating table that I used often while exporting cars to DR, but after hard disk crash I have to find it again. Any Dominican consulate has it. Just ask a knowleagable person, not a secretary from front desk. Or a customs broker. They all have the link.

It is very easy. To know amount of payment on any car takes you only five minutes.

Importing cars to DR is easy. Just to do the homework. Be prepared for all steps.

Cars with salvage title are not allowed to DR since 2004.

Cars over five years old - a substantial penalty that makes seven year old car more expensive at the end of the day than a four year old one.

Good luck! You are thinking about a very good business. People will buy from you good cars fresh form NA market.

jackquontee

May 20, 2005
Ak74

I wouldn't dispute your claims. My point is that this is the DR, and things aren't always what they seem. What is printed on paper is not necessarily what you might be dealing with in actuality. In other words, you will be informed of the actual value once you arrive, irrespective of what you may have seen on paper, and that will be what the taxes are based on. I saw a whole lot of cars sitting in Sans Souci after people found out what the car was actually valued at.

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
I wouldn't dispute your claims. My point is that this is the DR, and things aren't always what they seem. What is printed on paper is not necessarily what you might be dealing with in actuality. In other words, you will be informed of the actual value once you arrive, irrespective of what you may have seen on paper, and that will be what the taxes are based on. I saw a whole lot of cars sitting in Sans Souci after people found out what the car was actually valued at.

I am aware of many cases like this too.
People did not do their homework.

Importing cars is much easier than many other things in DR.
I know it firstr hand.

HDCarl

Aug 3, 2002
Hi,

Do I understand that it IS possible to import a vehicle over 5 years old?

I am planning to retire to the DR in 5 years, and want to take a Jeep with me. (I understand it is a pain, but want my Jeep) I currently have a 2004 Jeep Wrangler, and was under the impression I woul have to get a new one in the next couple of years so that it would be in the appropriate year range. I'd way rather take the one I have now even if importing it cost considerably more as I already have it set up pretty much like I want it.

Thanx

HDCarl

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
Hi,

Do I understand that it IS possible to import a vehicle over 5 years old?

I am planning to retire to the DR in 5 years, and want to take a Jeep with me. (I understand it is a pain, but want my Jeep) I currently have a 2004 Jeep Wrangler, and was under the impression I woul have to get a new one in the next couple of years so that it would be in the appropriate year range. I'd way rather take the one I have now even if importing it cost considerably more as I already have it set up pretty much like I want it.

Thanx

HDCarl

Yes, it is possible. But in this case you expose yourself to abuse by customs officials and abogados. Also if you want to bring a car with salvage Title.

People whom I know and who ordered cars from USA normally have to make two-four trips to the port and should expect $300-$600 US "unexpected" costs - bribes, tips,etc.
Those who ordered (intentionally) salvage cars or cars older than five years had to make up to six-eight trips to the port and to pay $2000- $3000 to get "allowed" something that officialy is not allowed.

This is DR, that I love about this country. As long as you cause no damage to other people you can get what is normally is not allowed. For a little donation.

HDCarl

Aug 3, 2002
ok,

So, say I want to bring in my 9 year old Jeep, which I have owned since new, it has a lot of extra stuff on it, big tires, winch, etc.

What kind of money would I likely be looking at to get it into the DR? Looking for a very rough guess, are we talking US $20,000? more/less? A lot more/less?

I will most likely do the Residerncia, so can it come in in my container of personal stuff?

Thanks, I appreciate any input.

HDCarl

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
ok,

So, say I want to bring in my 9 year old Jeep, which I have owned since new, it has a lot of extra stuff on it, big tires, winch, etc.

What kind of money would I likely be looking at to get it into the DR? Looking for a very rough guess, are we talking US $20,000? more/less? A lot more/less?

I will most likely do the Residerncia, so can it come in in my container of personal stuff?

HDCarl

Talk to Dominican Consulate in your region and ask to speak to the person who deals with importing cars to DR.

And talk also to a shipping company that ships cars to DR. Tell them that you are interested in shipping. They will give you shipping quote (about $1200 per vehicle) and will get you in contact with a customs brocker in la capital. He will calculate for you all your costs. Add another $500- $750.

After Consulate and brocker you`ll have two figures. Real one will be in between roughly.

In NY a good shipper is located on Bruckner Blvd, at Third Ave Bridge, across from McDonalds. Or you may call my shipper Sotby 718-837-1888. They prefer full containers (3-4 cars) but sometimes consolidate.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
ok,

HDCarl
According to previous posts on the matter of importing a car that is older than the permitted limit, (5 years) you would pay the taxes due on an equivalent 5 year old vehicle, plus an additional percentage, as a form of penalty.
For instance, let's say that the import tax for a 2003 Jeep were $10k US, you might pay $15K for your '99.
As for bringing in a vehicle under the exemptions offered during provisional residency, the jury is still out on that one, as to the value of doing so.
As Jackwontee alluded to, a price could be quoted to you pre-shipping, and a much different one after it arrives here.
Sometimes the import taxes requested/demanded could amount to more than the value of the vehicle.

jackquontee

May 20, 2005
HDCarl

Just to give you a rough idea of cost, last summer I shipped a 2005 Jeep Rubicon. Without going into my paperwork and compiling details, I paid roughly (in dollars) 1,500 for shipping, 7,000 for the various taxes, and 3,000 for first time registration. Yes, you read that correctly, 3,000 dollars for first-time registration! The Jeep was valued at 24,000. I also shipped using DR residency.

BTW, I understand what you mean about wanting "your" Jeep. I was adamant about having mine.

Beergirl

May 3, 2008
Darn... I was thinking of doing the one time exemption thing on my 2002 pathfinder, but at $11,500; that's just painful!

jackquontee

May 20, 2005
Beergirl

Remember that it was what I paid on my vehicle, a 2005 with only 9,000 miles on it, valued at $24,000.00. I realize it seems excessive but, had I purchased that same vehicle here in the DR used, it would cost approximately US $40,000.00.

Beergirl

May 3, 2008
jackquontee

True, that was my line of thinking as well; my car used would cost me about what I paid for it new. Still, I was hoping for a little more relief from the moving exemption... I was hoping for about $3-4000 in taxes and a lot less than $3000 (more like $300) for the first time registration!

Lapurr

Bronze
Jan 25, 2008
boys and their toys...you guys really get attached!!
Can you buy in Puerto Rico,and Ferry to DR? would the prices be a little more regulated there?