Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cars in the dr

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cars in the dr

I would like to bring a car to the DR from the US. Does anyone know what is involved and how much duty and taxes are charged when it gets there?
    I am a resident.
    Thanks

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

This is a very bad idea. Use the search function to find out why, or just take my word for it. You will be sorry if you do it.

On Vacation!
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by golferaml View Post
    I would like to bring a car to the DR from the US. Does anyone know what is involved and how much duty and taxes are charged when it gets there?
    I am a resident.
    Thanks

If you need info - you may PM me. I can share some of ten years car exporter`s experience.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

We did it and uless you ship it in your one time tax exempt container, I would not do it.

Bob K

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JDJones View Post
    Ah yes, post # 1.

Quick and dirty, duty will be from 70-100% of the vehicles value, as determined by Customs, not what you say it is.

The process is a hugh pain in the butt.
    And, the value of the vehicle will not be determined by Customs until after the vehicle has arrived in the DR.

I had a vehicle shipped last summer and didn't find the process to be that difficult, with the exception of the above.

On Vacation!
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jackquontee View Post
    And, the value of the vehicle will not be determined by Customs until after the vehicle has arrived in the DR.

I had a vehicle shipped last summer and didn't find the process to be that difficult, with the exception of the above.

Any car`s value for customs purposes is known in advance and is specified in a special table. One enters year, make and model and gets the amount of customs payment. I used to have the link to this calculating table that I used often while exporting cars to DR, but after hard disk crash I have to find it again. Any Dominican consulate has it. Just ask a knowleagable person, not a secretary from front desk. Or a customs broker. They all have the link.

It is very easy. To know amount of payment on any car takes you only five minutes.

Importing cars to DR is easy. Just to do the homework. Be prepared for all steps.

Cars with salvage title are not allowed to DR since 2004.

Cars over five years old - a substantial penalty that makes seven year old car more expensive at the end of the day than a four year old one.

Good luck! You are thinking about a very good business. People will buy from you good cars fresh form NA market.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Ak74

I wouldn't dispute your claims. My point is that this is the DR, and things aren't always what they seem. What is printed on paper is not necessarily what you might be dealing with in actuality. In other words, you will be informed of the actual value once you arrive, irrespective of what you may have seen on paper, and that will be what the taxes are based on. I saw a whole lot of cars sitting in Sans Souci after people found out what the car was actually valued at.

On Vacation!
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jackquontee View Post
    I wouldn't dispute your claims. My point is that this is the DR, and things aren't always what they seem. What is printed on paper is not necessarily what you might be dealing with in actuality. In other words, you will be informed of the actual value once you arrive, irrespective of what you may have seen on paper, and that will be what the taxes are based on. I saw a whole lot of cars sitting in Sans Souci after people found out what the car was actually valued at.
    I am aware of many cases like this too.
    People did not do their homework.

Importing cars is much easier than many other things in DR.
    I know it firstr hand.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

Do I understand that it IS possible to import a vehicle over 5 years old?

I am planning to retire to the DR in 5 years, and want to take a Jeep with me. (I understand it is a pain, but want my Jeep) I currently have a 2004 Jeep Wrangler, and was under the impression I woul have to get a new one in the next couple of years so that it would be in the appropriate year range. I'd way rather take the one I have now even if importing it cost considerably more as I already have it set up pretty much like I want it.

Thanx

HDCarl

On Vacation!
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HDCarl View Post
    Hi,

Do I understand that it IS possible to import a vehicle over 5 years old?

I am planning to retire to the DR in 5 years, and want to take a Jeep with me. (I understand it is a pain, but want my Jeep) I currently have a 2004 Jeep Wrangler, and was under the impression I woul have to get a new one in the next couple of years so that it would be in the appropriate year range. I'd way rather take the one I have now even if importing it cost considerably more as I already have it set up pretty much like I want it.

Thanx

HDCarl
    Yes, it is possible. But in this case you expose yourself to abuse by customs officials and abogados. Also if you want to bring a car with salvage Title.

People whom I know and who ordered cars from USA normally have to make two-four trips to the port and should expect $300-$600 US "unexpected" costs - bribes, tips,etc.
    Those who ordered (intentionally) salvage cars or cars older than five years had to make up to six-eight trips to the port and to pay $2000- $3000 to get "allowed" something that officialy is not allowed.

This is DR, that I love about this country. As long as you cause no damage to other people you can get what is normally is not allowed. For a little donation.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast