How to Seek Dual Citizenship if Child of Dominican Parent

NikkeS

Jul 24, 2008
Does anyone know exactly the process that I would need to follow? I've been searching online and through this forum, but everyone who seems to be seeking dual citizenship happens to have married a Dominican - and I'm guessing the process/what is needed might be a little bit different. And I must be typing in the wrong key words in the search engines (both in English and Spanish), because I am not getting lucky at all! :ermm:

So here are the facts/my questions:

My mother is the parent who is the Dominican citizen (she was born and raised there, came to US when she was 13). I've lived with her all my life.

My father isn't Dominican. But he hasn't been in the picture since I was about 3 years old. But would that complicate things?

What papers do I need, and where do I need to file them? Do I need to go to the Dominican Consulate? (I'm in California, I think the nearest one is upstate...there aren't many Dominicans in Southern California). I am going back home to NY soon, so I could go through the Dominican Consulate there. Or do I need to go back to DR? Any and all information that you could give me about the process would be appreciated. I'm sorry if this has been posted before...I looked through all 7 pages of this forum, and I couldn't find it.

lol, and sorry for writing so much!

NikkeS

Jul 24, 2008
Thank you very much, that part of the site did not come up in my search engine searches. I do have one question though, it refers to "Dominican Parents". Both my parents need to be Dominican citizens, or only just one?