Hi, i'm new here - need data etc

Dave Clarke

Jul 24, 2008
www.ukweatherworld.co.uk
Hi everyone, room for 1 small one? ;)

I'm one of the site owners of ukweatherworld and currently, my gf is holidaying in the Samana region. I've found some NOAA sat images, but that's about it. Does anyone have any links to precip radar, sferic charts, live wind charts etc?

Any help would be appreciated because i've suddenly found myself with 2 weeks on my hands, and being a complete weather nutcase I chose this :)

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I am wondering if there are Sankiemometers for the Samana Peninsula.

All I can tell you is that is one of the rainiest places in the DR, but it never rains for long.
also, it has great winds for sailing.

Beyond that, it is one of God's most beautiful spots on this earth...

Perhaps the ONAMET (Oficina Nacional de Meteorolog?a) (maybe Onamet - Oficina Nacional de Meteorolog?a - Rep?blica Dominicana) can give you better info on the weather.

Ask Chris on this site, she know a lot about weather, too...

Me? I just live here...

HB

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
I keep the page DR1 - Hurricanes at DR1 that has links to sites that over the years we have found to be helpful in following local weather. Your site is included as it is very helpful when hurricanes are approaching.

Weather is always a popular topic in DR1, especially when a storm is in our neighborhood.

Are you in Samana yourself with your gf or just keeping track of what is happening in our area?

Send me an email at dolores@dr1.com

Dave Clarke

Jul 24, 2008
www.ukweatherworld.co.uk
Hi Hillbilly and Dolores, thanks for your replies. No, i'm not in Samana unfortuntaley, i'm in London and it's pretty hot here too! Do hurricanes affect the NE part of the island, I always thought they sort of skimmed the southern areas?

I checked out the DO met office's site, but it seemed sketchy at best with minimal data.

Yes, UKweatherworld is great for hurricane info, the guys on there are 24/7 on the case :)

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
The information on which coasts have been affected by the hurricanes is in the DR1 Hurricane page, mentioned above -- DR1 - Hurricanes

Note that Jeanne in 2004 hit Samana, damaging much property. You can do a search of the Weather & Beyond forum for back coverage on that storm.

Jeanne. (Category 1). 17 September 2004. East coast, Samana on the Northeast and North Coast (as tropical storm).
Georges. (Category 3). 22 September 1998. La Romana to Santo Domingo on the southern coast.
Hortense. (Category 3). 10 September 1996. East coast from Punta Cana to Samana. 130 kph.
Gilbert. (Category 3). 11 September 1988. Barahona on the southwestern coast, with winds of 200 kph.
Emely. (Category 4). 22 September 1987. Bani on the southwestern coast, winds of 220 kph.

David. (Category 4-5). 31 August 1979. Santo Domingo on the southcentral coast to the southwest.
Beulah. (Category 4). 10-11 September 1967. Barahona on the western coast with winds of 225 kms per hour.
Ines. (Category 4). 29 September 1966. Barahona on the western coast, winds of 240 kph.
Edith. (Category 2). 26-27 September 1963. La Romana on the southeastern coast, winds of 160 kph.
Katie. (Category 1). 16 October 1955. Barahona on the western coast, winds of 125 kph.
San Zenon. (Category 4-5). 3 September 1930. Santo Domingo on the southcentral coast.

Dave Clarke

Jul 24, 2008
www.ukweatherworld.co.uk
I found a radar plot for the eastern half of the island :D

doppler150-a.gif