From DR1 news today - the war against drugs.

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
I always get intensly depressed when I read about the war on drugs. It costs us and others throughout the world millions to no avail. Yet the answer is so simple, that is probably why no politician can speak of it. Spend money . as much as it takes, to educate the children in school. After that sales of drugs should only be through special outlets like cigarettes and salt are in many countries. If the sub intelligent people want to kill themselves after that, let them, the world is better off without them. We wouldn?t have drug barons, cartels, smuggling and all the other paraphanalia. The police would have much less to enforce. Probably I?m setting the cat among the pigeons but its about time someone did and we had some proper debate.

aross

Nov 15, 2007
What happened to strict enforcement

When I spent a lot of time here in the late 80's and early 90's, my recollection is that the country was very strict relative to drugs. I recall there was a no-tolerance policy and those that were caught with any sort of drugs, were thrown in jail for a long time, no questions asked. It would seem to me that somehow over the years this policy was abandoned or there might not be the major problem we have today.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Many of those charged with enforcing the laws became involved. Simple economics and survival, unfortunately. The 'policy' is still zero tolerance. The reality is somewhat different.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
Keep in mind that the drug problem in the DR is not a comsumption one, but a distribution problem. Here there isn't any drug comsumption culture as big as the states, (in the barrios there is more comsumption), but when it comes to earns a few or a lot of pesos or dollars doing something along the lines of distribution there is no vacilation to go forward. There are still a few Quirino's here and there uncatched.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
There are still a few Quirino's here and there uncatched.

Not only are they uncatched but some are actually employed to a) enforce the law b) prosecute those who offend c) pass judicial sentences on those who offend and on & on................:ermm: And the bosses of the 'Quirino's' who remain at large might just on the surface appear to be the pillars of society.

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
Keep in mind that the drug problem in the DR is not a comsumption one, but a distribution problem.
That was true in the 1990's, it is not true anymore... There's a lot of crack consumed in the barrios... It all started in the early 2000's when Colombians started to pay Dominican authorities in drugs instead of cash, as it used to be done. The Dominican authorities are the one who promoted the crack use in the barrios, thus metamorphosing illiterate alcoholics into illiterate crack addicts...

There are still a few Quirino's here and there uncatched.
More than a few... Drug trade is a much bigger business than tourism & zona franca together...