Post Thanks / Like

Default Postal Services and Customs fees in DR

~
    I may send a laptop and a few books to a friend in Santo Domingo from the US. I will, of course, pay insurance (which is downright cheap while using express mail) just in case there are any incontingencies
    ~
    How safe are Postal Services and Customs in DR?
    ~
    How hard is the "bite" from customs? Is the fee just a percentage of the declared items list?
    ~
    Thanks
    Rómulo

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I find the easiest,safest with no bribe problems is to use Mail Boxes etc. The package (s) arrive at their office in your town, you just go and collect it paying the charges from Miami to here which will include any customs charges. I find that MBE are very happy to give you an estimate of charges. The is no customs duty on under US$200 value.

Post Thanks / Like

AAAAARRRRRGGGHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Don't do that!!!

Find someone to hand carry it.

When it gets here via anything except hand carried, it will be taxed like new. You will not have a say in the matter.

Even if you were to put a 195$ value on the laptop, the customs inspectors would know its worth and "sock it to you"...

So, please, please get someone to hand carry it....

HB

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Hillbilly has been around here on the forums a lot longer than me so I will not argue with his bad experiences but it is still very much worthwhile talking to the MBE, particularly for your friend in the DR to talk to his local MBE office. No I don´t have shares in them just 4/5 good experiences.