Bringing a PC to the DR??

Cdncpl

Oct 31, 2007
I am wondering if anyone has any info on the implications of bringing a full size PC to the DR...I remember reading somewhere that they can be heavily taxed or even confiscated...anyone have experience with this that they could share...I will be arriving air only with a return ticket...
Many thanks

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Most likely, customs will let it through without your having to pay a duty if you say it's for your home.

Good luck,

DRob:glasses:

peteclaffey

Apr 30, 2006
They are also dropping sharply in price (if you refer to desktop) here in the D.R, maybe save space in for other things ?

Cdncpl

Oct 31, 2007
Bringing Desktop PC

Thanks guys... Do you think they will ask for addresses or cedula to prove I am living there....And any Idea how much duty they would charge if I did indeed have to pay?
Thanks Again....

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
No idea how much they'd charge you, and you don't need a cedula to have a home/rental property in DR.

Chances are pretty good you'll be just fine.

Good luck,

DRob

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
Thanks guys... Do you think they will ask for addresses or cedula to prove I am living there....And any Idea how much duty they would charge if I did indeed have to pay?
Thanks Again....

Have three-four 5$ bills and give to each Dominican who greets you at the screener upon exit from aeropuerto.

I love this country! For five bucks anything is allowed as long as it is not mean intended and does not hurt other people. The so called "developping third world" is the last true human society still in existence.

oriole100

Bronze
Oct 9, 2005
Laptops go thru without any problem. PC's are harder and they have to be in a box because they won't fit in a suitcase. If you have a cedula tell them if's for home and you won't have any problem. If you come between Nov . and Jan. Christmas season, it's more lax. For home or gift for friend. Paying them off works most times, sometimes not. They are starting to rotate the inspectors. Don't know what good it does. We brought big screen laptops with large hard drive. Work as goood as PC with less trouble. Just a suggestion.

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
Laptops go thru without any problem. PC's are harder and they have to be in a box because they won't fit in a suitcase. If you have a cedula tell them if's for home and you won't have any problem. If you come between Nov . and Jan. Christmas season, it's more lax. For home or gift for friend. Paying them off works most times, sometimes not. They are starting to rotate the inspectors. Don't know what good it does. We brought big screen laptops with large hard drive. Work as goood as PC with less trouble. Just a suggestion.

Without box it fits even in carry-on!

Recently I brought in by a person`s order a latest DELL PC and 17`` flat screen in one CARRY-ON bag.

Vawner

Feb 7, 2007
Recently brought in a Dell

I can speak from recent experience at STI...
On July 3, 2008 I brought a Dell PowerEdge server (in original box) for use in my apartment in Santiago. I assumed I would be charged some import tax and so I was prepared with copies of the invoice and packing list to show what I had paid, in the hope of avoiding being overcharged.
Well, no one said one word or asked for a penny (or peso), to my relief.
I had brought in the monitor and printer on previous trips, also in original boxes. Only with the printer was I told I had to take it to one of the offices to pay taxes. However, since I could show that it was relatively ancient (over 4 years old) I was told there would be no tax. So, I was able to bring in a full-sized machine, along with a 20-inch flat panel monitor and a laser printer, with $0 tax.

RafaelPabon

Nov 11, 2007
Been there Done that

When I came in last June, I had my PC packed in a Plastic Rubbermaid Container. Customs opened it, checked the contents, I said for personal use, not business, and they closed it up and waved me thru. This was in Punta Cana, so dont know if it is different here, but I had no issue whatsoever, and from the time I stepped out of the plane until my front tires hit the highway, it was less than 30 minutes. Very painless.

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
When I came in last June, I had my PC packed in a Plastic Rubbermaid Container. Customs opened it, checked the contents, I said for personal use, not business, and they closed it up and waved me thru. This was in Punta Cana, so dont know if it is different here, but I had no issue whatsoever, and from the time I stepped out of the plane until my front tires hit the highway, it was less than 30 minutes. Very painless.

Get used of having everything opened and inspected, regardless of how it arrives here.

Packages and all mail will be opened, even if you live here.

Love letters with checks might arrive however!

It's a contriband issue so don't send any.

Last edited:

sylindr

Nov 29, 2007
I have found that if I arrive on a flight from Canada I never get checked, but when I arrive on Continental I always get checked. I hve brought two computers in my luggage but always on the Canadian Flights so ahve never been checked

californian

Aug 19, 2008
bad power

especially if you have an inversol (power inverter with car batteries for backup power), but either way really... If you care about your computer, get a UPS. You can pick one up from se compsa for about 2000 pesos (I'm used to over $100 in USA). Make sure you get one that conditions power.
If you want an overview of why you need one you can read:
Step By Step 9 - Power Conditioning
But in the end, its basically cause the power is not very clean here.
Ignore me at your own risk