Slingbox

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Anybody use a slingbox back in their home country to get television broadcasts there on your computer here in the DR? I wanna get some specific football games, and don't have my TV or cable/satellite set up yet (and they may not carry NFL games anyway).

Any input would be appreciated...

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
hey cobraboy! i have a laptop [i am currently using to write this post] with a slingbox on it and it works great! in fact i have taken it with me abroad [Ecuador] and it worked just fine. however, the only way it will not work really depends on the internet connection and how fast it is. i had best streaming/viewing when i was in a high speed wifi and or direct connection [i.e. cable modem], however, sometims it would slow down tremendously....not sure what that was due to, internet traffic? at certain times during the day....in any case, it worked just fine for me and i was able to watch a few basketball games i otherwise would not be able to watch abroad. its a great piece of technology!

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
hey cobraboy! i have a laptop [i am currently using to write this post] with a slingbox on it and it works great! in fact i have taken it with me abroad [Ecuador] and it worked just fine. however, the only way it will not work really depends on the internet connection and how fast it is. i had best streaming/viewing when i was in a high speed wifi and or direct connection [i.e. cable modem], however, sometims it would slow down tremendously....not sure what that was due to, internet traffic? at certain times during the day....in any case, it worked just fine for me and i was able to watch a few basketball games i otherwise would not be able to watch abroad. its a great piece of technology!
Where is the base unit?

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
my sllingbox is in my house! in my basement, always connected, always on, i can watch it from anywhere as long as the connection isnt broken....that and or no one else is watching tv on that box!

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
you basically need to have a cable box/direct tv/dish whatever your cable provider may be, the slingbox rests on top of that box directly connected reading the signal, and that is fed via IP to a remote computer. better make sure that no one is on that cable box because if someone changes the channel there then you will see that same channel change on your remote viewer [computer], and vice versa! LOL
in other words i can tell who is watching what on my tv in the basement! LOL :)

lasalsa

Apr 9, 2008
It all depends on the DSL speed. I used to sling from my cousin's house in Atlanta when I was living in India for 2 years. Internet in India wasn't that great but it worked.

For SPORTS, I use sopcast.com. You practically tap into people that are broadcasting live feeds of games onto the internet. Mainly from China and Europe. Just dload the application to your computer and Voila! I was able to watch ALL the NBA finals games here in Argentina via my PC with just about a 10 second delay.

No more 5.95 a month to pay for an extra COMCAST decoder in my cousin's house.

Ben

Feb 2, 2004
We connected a Slingbox to the DVR at home in the USA. When we're in the DR we take full control of the DVR from a laptop. This allows us to watch live or recorded shows, and to schedule other shows for recording. Quality has been better than expected. I'm a fan.

Ben