Warning : Strike in Las Terrenas, July 29th

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
There is a total strike planned for next Tuesday, July 29th, in Las Terrenas. Rumor is that most roads will be blocked.

It is strangely a mix of protests from truck drivers who can't use the Sanchez-Las Terrenas road (I hope they'll be banned forever from that road...) and from the FDLT (Frente de Defensores de as Terrenas), righteously complaining about the total disaster of the streets in the village of Las Terrenas...

Anyway, try to avoid Las Terrenas that day, and if you live here (like me), stay at home...

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
I try to avoid LT most of the time...live in SD and el limon,and used to live in LT several years ago when it was a small fishing village,....now a tourist trap....and never ending road construction,or destruction...and dirt...
bob

Squat

Jan 1, 2002
The "huelga" is canceled.... Seems like the government (Obras Publicas) made some new promesses to our dear Jos? Alexis (el sindico)...

Squat

Jan 1, 2002
Rumor is that Felucho Jimenez (minister of tourism) tries hard to make Las Terrenas look bad, as he has big tourism investments else where... Rumors...Rumors...

Anyway, if you guys have been driving uptown this morning, roadworks have resumed...

Juniper

Apr 15, 2004
Anyway, if you guys have been driving uptown this morning, roadworks have resumed...

You mean the mess and the nightmare has resumed.:tired:

Squat

Jan 1, 2002
well, the (amazingly dumb) plan is to fix everything within 30 days (filling those manholes with caliche), have the streets asphalted. Then, in about 3 months time, Inapa shall break everything again, and dig to put in their pipes for the new acuaducto.
By the way, it is well known that Inapa never fixes asphalt after digging...

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
with all this drama going on, am i to believe that my drive to Las Terrenas would be a nightmare? I am planning on coming on the new carretera up to Samana and up to Las Terrenas. what am i to expect to run into? :eek:

Squat

Jan 1, 2002
with all this drama going on, am i to believe that my drive to Las Terrenas would be a nightmare? I am planning on coming on the new carretera up to Samana and up to Las Terrenas. what am i to expect to run into? :eek:
well, it should be ok... the problem is that the streets of the village are in very bad conditions, after being destroyed by the government 2 years ago... This is why we are fed up with the situation. But it shouldn't be that bad for a visitor...

Squat

Jan 1, 2002
i hope not, i hope my trip isnt delayed or detoured because of rioting...my first time visiting Samana and i have high hopes!
No rioting whatsoever... Just some potholes in the roads ;)
(maybe a bit of rioting would have been good...)