Disposable cell phones? They've arrived!

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I was sitting tonight having a cold Presidente in Sam's Bar in Puerto Plata.
In walks a guy selling prepaid cell phones $RD 300.00 Pesos, get this Including a 100 Peso phone card and all the phones were activated with Codetel or Vaio or whatever they go by now... The phone is a Alctel, 200 Pesos for an activated phone, Go figure :)

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Yes its for real, I took five and he was cleaned out in ten minutes from the other patrons. I ordered six more for Monday. Ill pass them out to my client's who come down and they can toss them or give it away when they go home.
I don't expect much for two hundred Pesos (six bucks) but I guess its all coming out of China anyway!

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
you can get them all day long in SD for 295 pesos with sometimes 300 peso card installed...all up and down Duarte...and have been available for quite some time.both codatel claro or orange...
bob
bob

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
thanks for the info bob! wow i wonder if orange makes them if the calls between orange to orange are free? what a great idea! makes sense for my trips here to the island! then i can just give them away to anyone on my departure!

rio2003

Bronze
Aug 16, 2006
Verizon - 400 pesos

Not quite as cheap - but my friend has bought me a Verizon in POP for 400 pesos with 200 pesos credit. Fantastic value and perfect for my upcoming trip..... oh :speechles I might have mentioned that a few thousand times already.....

:laugh:

rio2003

Bronze
Aug 16, 2006
Cheap phone update.....

My friend rang me last night from POP to here in the UK using my new 200 peso phone (using my free credit!) and WOW - clear as a bell, as if she was in the room next to me. No breaks in the signal, straight through first time and a call that lasted an hour without any problems whatsover. Well done Verizon and 200 peso phones!
:cheeky:

Rio

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
wow with verizon and a 200 peso phone!?!?! thats great! any idea if i can purchase one at the airport SDQ when i land? maybe a kiosk? it would be great! i can make calls the second i land! :)

rio2003

Bronze
Aug 16, 2006
wow with verizon and a 200 peso phone!?!?! thats great! any idea if i can purchase one at the airport SDQ when i land? maybe a kiosk? it would be great! i can make calls the second i land! :)

No idea, I expect someone will update you on that.
Over the years I have bought phones there for up to 6000 pesos and this is as good if not better!
I've got my own Dominican phone number......... woo-hoo!!!
Rio

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
unbelievable....i hope they sell them at the airport because that is FIRST on my to do list! plus refilling them is simple right? just buy the cards and add the minutes....LOL i love it :)

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
Can you tell me where to get these on the North Coast like in Sosua?

And is there a difference between what you call a disposable phone and the phone I have which is a cell and I put prepaid minutes in?

Thanks
Ro

rio2003

Bronze
Aug 16, 2006
Can you tell me where to get these on the North Coast like in Sosua?

And is there a difference between what you call a disposable phone and the phone I have which is a cell and I put prepaid minutes in?

Thanks
Ro

Hi Ro,

No that's all they are - we are calling them disposable because they are being sold at a "throw-away" price. They are just normal pay as you go phones, but dirt cheap. Belkis bought mine in a little shop by the pulga in POP but they seem to be all over at the moment (a bit like your bites!).....
Someone may have a Sosua update for you.....

:cheeky:
Rio

Last edited:

rio2003

Bronze
Aug 16, 2006
rio, what model phone do you have [the disposable one] and you said Verizon is your carrier? i am interested in this data :)

I will find out for you - I don't even know myself!! I am still here in the UK and have given Belkis a list of things to do and buy ready for my trip in August. One of them was to buy me a cheap phone and this is what she came up with. I am in the office at the moment but will definitely let you know by tomorrow after I have had a chance to ask her what my phone is! Yes, Verizon/Claro is the network. The call clarity is a lot better than the Orange network - my friends don't like it because it is more expensive - but the coverage is much better in the POP region, especially in the countryside.

Rio

Beads

Bronze
May 21, 2006
so you can now buy these cheap cellphones which come with a charger and refill them with more minutes also?