Update on sexual harrasment thread

laurajane

Bronze
May 23, 2005
www.thecircusofdreams.com
Just recently the young lady in question accepted an out of court settlement. The gentleman in question was advised by his lawyer very early on to settle up as he was fighting a loosing battle. Now i know originally i was defending the yooung lady, but i did have my doubts if it was worth a lengthy and expensive process especially as she had very little documentation to support her claim.

She did not fight the sexual harrasment problem but as i originally stated she was more interested in getting the salary owed and liquidation. The gentleman was investigated quite heavily by the Secretaria de trabajo and incurred a very large fine due to some other finding's unconnected with the case in question all though i am unable to say exactly what those were.

My point is that many, probably based on experience advised to drop it and i am as surprised as you maybe to learn she actually got what she wanted and has had the money paid in cash already and it only cost her RD$5,000!!!!
So if anyone ever has a similar problem, especially a woman told to drop it because men rule (i think was a comment), listen to constructive advice by those here that can deliver their point with experience and knowledge even if maybe you don't agree, but also your morals and conscience are also very important to listen to too and in this case david was triumphant against Goliath. We can not moan about corruption and the lack of morality here if when it comes to it we fail to stand up for our beliefs.

Also it was suggested a few times that it was unbelievable or wrong or me to ask for advice on behalf of a friend, I did not agree with some of the choices she made and was frustrated that she could be so naive, but all of us at some time or another need a friend or (i would hope) have helped a friend out in return. I think it would be a pretty sad exsistance if you couldn't help someone or be helped by those you call your friends. I have recently met some wonderful people on DR1 that have been very helpful and kind to me and that is the reason i still post here regardless of lots of negative and angry people which at one point made me think twice about being apart of DR1 however thank you to all those that have been kind enough to help and maybe the above topic may give even the most sceptical a glimmer of hope that justice can be achieved even if few and far between.

Thanks again :)

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
You are leaving out most of the story.

Was the gentleman a Gringo and if so how much did he pay?

Who recomended this settlement ?

Who were both Attorneys ?

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Laurajane: La Secretaria de Trabajo is always biased towards the workers in some way, given the knowledge of the many cases that it must undertake from workers fired without any reason other than misconduct by the employers.

I'm happy to hear that the employer got fined as he should had, given that he hired a worker without the required Cedula or permit to do so.

Sadly, She decided to drop the sexual harassment charges (a bit too hard to prove but always good to try) from the litigation process. Most of the times, the employers charged with those kind of charges and are understood by the def lawyer to have some grounds, are always settled before heavier damages are awarded via public shame.

I hope your friend will get her documentation up to day in the DR. In the DR is easier than most countries for foreigners to adjust their status...

She can use the experience for her own education and personal growth...

Congratulations for her perseverance against all!!

I bet you that the employer will be on a short leash now, since the Secretaria de Trabajo will continue to do checks on that particular firm for a good long time...