Help - More Different Bites

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
Please - I got multiple bites this time, they are like welts, all swollen, red , itch like crazy (trying not to) raised skin, bite in center.

Tried aloe, tea tree oil - swelling is worse - one on front of my leg is hard.

What do I do?

Thanks
Ro

asp44

Jan 22, 2008
Bites

This sounds like the type of reaction I get when bitten by mosquitos. THe surface area of the swelling is sometimes up to 4 inches diameter and is very hot.

I visited a doctor the last time this happened. I was told it was an allergic reaction to the bite and I had to have anti-biotics. It might be worth heading to the doctors to get a professional opinion.

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
Thanks. The one on my leg between my knee and my ankle is the size of a baseball - feels like it's going to explode.

So with Benadryl - tablets as compared to liquid?

And I am going to get to a doctor - looking for recommendations - asap - I'm in the Sosua area. I know some people to ask - they're just not up this early.

They are so huge, so swollen, so sore that I really got scared. Especially since I've been here two months and been so fine - and now this!

Welcome to the DR I guess. Trying to keep my sense of humor while I'm freaking out at the same time.

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
Update: I'm going to the doctor at 9 am today. Fingers crossed I'll be better in no time.

Thanks again for you all being there for me.

goesaroundgoes

Dec 24, 2007
Drro, hope you're doing better!
I figured I'd post here because it's in the same field.
I spent this past weekened in Jarabacoa, and I got the wierdest bites. Don't get me wrong - I'm very well aquianted with bites, I got here a little over two weeks ago, and ever since then, my legs are filled with bites and I seem to have an allergic reaction, this happens every time I come and I'm kinda used to it. I also have a tendency to scratch my legs in my sleep, so I sometimes wake up with deep long scraches on top of my ronchas. But that's another story for another time.
I've never gotten bites like the ones I got while at Jarabacoa. I didn't get to see the insect, but they leave a drop or two of my blood on the bite. And after I clean up, there's a red dot at the center of the bite. Do any of you happen to know what did this, or any other info about it?

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
I don't know what your bites are, but appreciate your post. Mine have a bite in the center of a very large round circle, no blood, but a white dot in the center of the bite. One of them is already bruising - from scratching - and the one on my leg is the only one that is the size of a baseball, must have gotten into my blood.

Taking Benadryl and trusting the process. Also massive dosages of vitamin C.

The aloe and the tea tree oil helped me with the itching, even though they're only topicals. I used both to do a comparison - Aloe wins for me hands down.

Hope your heal soon.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I don't know what your bites are, but appreciate your post. Mine have a bite in the center of a very large round circle, no blood, but a white dot in the center of the bite. One of them is already bruising - from scratching - and the one on my leg is the only one that is the size of a baseball, must have gotten into my blood.

Taking Benadryl and trusting the process. Also massive dosages of vitamin C.

The aloe and the tea tree oil helped me with the itching, even though they're only topicals. I used both to do a comparison - Aloe wins for me hands down.

Hope your heal soon.
Soooooooooooo.....
Are you better now?
The head stone salesman says it's non refundable but we did manage to stop the engraver in time.

ryuj.jpg

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
Where are the palm trees?

Am I better? Nothing physically has changed yet, but knowing the funeral has been postponed helps a lot. And I'm relieved I don't have numbered days to go.

Haven't been able to get Benadryl in town - 2 of the pharmacies I went to didn't have it. One gave me something similar - the only thing I can read on the back (since they cut two off for me) is a word that ends in "na" DF 10. Now I can imagine what DF stands for but I dont think it's accurate for the medication.

Are you familiar with this round white tablet?

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Where are the palm trees?

Am I better? Nothing physically has changed yet, but knowing the funeral has been postponed helps a lot. And I'm relieved I don't have numbered days to go.

Haven't been able to get Benadryl in town - 2 of the pharmacies I went to didn't have it. One gave me something similar - the only thing I can read on the back (since they cut two off for me) is a word that ends in "na" DF 10. Now I can imagine what DF stands for but I dont think it's accurate for the medication.

Are you familiar with this round white tablet?
I don't know what it is and all I can tell you that might be of assistance is that I went to the pharmacy across from PJs a couple of months ago, as I was swelling up severely from a bee sting and I simply showed them and they gave me some anti histamine pills (don't remember the name) and anti inflammatory pills as well.
Worked for me.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Diphenhydramine HCl 25 mg is the active ingredient in Benadryl, The Farmacia next door to Texaco usually has it. It's on the back shelf, she may actually have to look for it!

tambo'

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
advice from our pharmacist - you can smack some cream with antibiotic on it - baneocin is good and not expensive (hope i got the spelling right but they will know in farmacia). if the wound is infected you can try amoxicillin (or other antibiotic).
hope you feel better soon!

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
Thanks. I've written it down and will get it tomorrow.

Again, thanks for all your support and good wishes.

Kaki

Sep 18, 2005
When I have had an onset of welts I do Benadryl as many as 6 tabs a day (doctor's instruction) to keep it at bay and I have a host of topical anti-itch treatments. One of the best is an oatmeal bath, and otherwise dedicating myself to the task of applying really cold compresses.

At its worst, nothing at all helped or alleviated discomfort whatsoever. It continued to drive me near tears for my flight home and I went from the airport to my doctor who prescribed me Prednisone (corticosteroid). I could not believe the relief I felt within 12 hours after 5 days of various ineffective treatments. See if your doctor thinks it'll help you. You only want to take it for a few days, but by then, if you're like me, you'll be able to stand the discoloured skin and minor irritation--if you aren't nearly completely recovered. Really, when you find the thing that will solve your problem, you become a devoted fan.

Kaki

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
Kaki

Thanks for your input. I got prednizone -never took it before - and am starting the regime. The pharmacy told me I can take two a day, one every 12 hours; so I am hopeful my experience will be just like yours! I'm already seeing the swelling dissipate and the itching is much subdued.

Regards
Ro

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Kaki

Thanks for your input. I got prednizone -never took it before - and am starting the regime. The pharmacy told me I can take two a day, one every 12 hours; so I am hopeful my experience will be just like yours! I'm already seeing the swelling dissipate and the itching is much subdued.

Regards
Ro

I believe from my own experience with Prednisone(taken for pericarditis), that you start off by taking a little then build up and slowly reduce your dose. Like climbing a hill then going down the other side, otherwise you can have some serious issues.

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
Hi Bob

The pharmacy told me to take 1 every 12 hours - which I have done 2 pills so far. I already see improvement so I'll probably only take one more and then be done. I'm not one for medication, or overmedicating.

Thanks for your input.

Kaki

Sep 18, 2005
The pharmacy told me to take 1 every 12 hours - which I have done 2 pills so far. I already see improvement so I'll probably only take one more and then be done. I'm not one for medication, or overmedicating.

I agree fully! I'm glad that it's working for you so well and that you will be able to stop after 1.5 - 2 days. I didn't want to suffer a relapse (if it were possible) but it is a strong drug with many side effects so once I felt I could heal myself I stopped too. I think the doctor only gave me enough for 3 days anyway. But now I know what to ask for if it ever gets so bad again!

I stopped counting when I reached 67 welts on one leg. I felt like I was full of poison, I was so miserable. This drug for me was a God-send. But I think I already said something similar in my previous post!

Kaki

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
The swelling isn't completely gone but it's so so much better than it was, and my baseball which went to a ping pong ball is now smaller too. I hope I'm not stopping the medication too soon but I don't want to keep taking it, and it's stopping me from getting a good night's sleep and who knows what else it's doing to my body. But it certainly worked, and quickly, and so I am going to stop and watch carefully.

I don't think I could get a relapse? unless, of course, I got bit again. I'm keeping the remaining tablets and the name - for future reference.

This trip has me creating quite a pharmacy at home!

regards
Ro