Urgently need warfarin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
A friend of mine has to take warfarin 10mg a day. If she does not take it she will have a blood clot. She has bought it here for the last 5 years with no problems at all, under the name cumadin. Over the past few weeks it has become more and more difficult to obtain and now there is none in the whole of Juan Dolio, San Pedro de Macoris nor surrounding towns.

She only has enough for 10 days now. If any of you are going to a pharmacy over the next few days please see if they have any, and how many they have so we can get some. They are 12 RD$ a 5mg tablet usually. If necessary she can send the money - if is is too far to travel to pick it up.

Please help if you can, or if there is a medical person reading this and you know of an alternative then please let me know. We have tried for Heparin also but there is none of that either.

Thanks

Matilda

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I can't believe this. You people are pathetic. You make it sound like its a matter of life and death situation. What a drama queen.
How far is juan dolio from santo domingo? 55 mins by ca or lessr? So What is the big deal. Your friend is not in Zimbabwe, if she values her life, she can go to santo domingo and get it from the first pharmacy.
AZB

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
I can't believe this. You people are pathetic. You make it sound like its a matter of life and death situation. What a drama queen.
How far is juan dolio from santo domingo? 55 mins by ca or lessr? So What is the big deal. Your friend is not in Zimbabwe, if she values her life, she can go to santo domingo and get it from the first pharmacy.
AZB

Glad to see you are being as sympathetic as usual AZB. Have telephoned all of the large pharmacies in Santo Domingo and they have all run out of warfarin. The larger pharmacies in San Pedro have telephoned all of their branches in other parts of the country and none of them have warfarin.

Of course we could drive to Santo Domingo and spend as long as necessary going to as many pharmacies as we could, but I just thought that as most people on this forum are usually very helpful they might be able to tell me of a pharmacy that has some warfarin to save time, effort and diesel.

Obviously you are not one of these helpful people and I have been called may things but funnily enough - drama queen is certainly not one of them!

Matilda

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
This is usually the part where someone else comes in, says that though AZB is rude, crude, and generally mean-spirited, his analysis of the situation is spot on.

Then AZB would, of course, respond that pharmacies in upper middle class barrios, generally staffed by classy, lighter-skinned chicas, would always have the medicine in stock, but a greasy gringo like you wouldn't know that....:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Hope your friend finds the medication she's looking for, Matilda. Does she have a prescription? Perhaps it can be expressed into the country.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Matilda, would you like me to look in PP tomorrow - I will be visiting my farmacia anyway? PM me your latest phone number & if I find some I'll put it on Metropac addressed to you.

Obviously you are not one of these helpful people and I have been called may things but funnily enough - drama queen is certainly not one of them! Matilda

He obviously doesn't recall how you dealt with being shot, nearly killed & the subsequent ops. If I've ever met anyone who is the antithesis of a drama queen, it's you. But then AZB has never had the pleasure of meeting you, has he? You might want to a) keep it that way & b) ignore the comment :cheeky:. It says a lot more about him than it does you.

He has done your friend one favour, though. The outrage any one who knows you (& a lot of those who only know of you) might feel at your being addressed in this fashion at least should ensure that we all go out looking for warfarin..................:)

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
He has done your friend one favour, though. The outrage any one who knows you (& a lot of those who only know of you) might feel at your being addressed in this fashion at least should ensure that we all go out looking for warfarin..................:)

I was going to delete his post but you are right, that's how I feel and if I lived there I'd help out by calling and asking around. I've never met Matilda but I know she wouldn't be asking if she didn't need help. And it's not even for herself.

We look forward to his next report of what goes on at McDonald's.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I was going to delete his post but you are right, that's how I feel and if I lived there I'd help out by calling and asking around. I've never met Matilda but I know she wouldn't be asking if she didn't need help. And it's not even for herself.

We look forward to his next report of what does on at McDonald's.:rolleyes:

Thank you for leaving it there, AnnaC. Matilda's friend has a serious neurological disorder. I think his post is a splendid motivator for people to pull together to help, albeit not his intention. Maybe a good example of how in expat life one needs to turn things on their head to achieve the greater good? ;)

Forgive me Anna if I do not share your enthusiasm for McDonald's trivia. :laugh:

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Over the past few weeks it has become more and more difficult to obtain and now there is none in the whole of Juan Dolio, San Pedro de Macoris nor surrounding towns.

Matilda

Please show me where she had mentioned santo domingo in her post? I was under the impression she was talking about the towns near juan dolio. She mentioned san pedro but never mentioned SD. So I was under the impression, she was asking people in bigger cities for help. Please folks, go back and read her original post and then cast the first stone on me.
AZB

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Now that I see the problem is real. I will help. I will check tomorrow to see what I come up with.
AZB

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
Generics and names

As per Warfarin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia I am led to believe that Warfarin could be marketed and thus sold und various names, including: Coumadin, Jantoven, Marevan, and Waran.

As imports are somewhat unorganized and more base on the lowest price possible, I think it could be worth while checking up all these names. Pharmacists here are not always really trained to search up medicines by the name of the main active ingredient, and most software systems I seem to see them used are not even set up to do that.

Good luck! ... J-D,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warfarin

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I have found 30 tablets for 377
100 for 890
Wafarina 5 mg
Same thing, different name.
None of the places I called had cumadin..it IS scarce.

What do do? Your call.

HB

I called two more places and found wafarina 5 mg at 9.00 pesos a 5 mg pill in 100 pill bottles...what to do?>

The other place had them @$13.pill of 5 mg....but that was AZB's favorite place...hehehe..for light skinned yuppies??? HO HO HO...

Last edited:

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I have found 30 tablets for 377
100 for 890
Wafarina 5 mg
Same thing, different name.
None of the places I called had cumadin..it IS scarce.

What do do? Your call.

HB

I called two more places and found wafarina 5 mg at 9.00 pesos a 5 mg pill in 100 pill bottles...what to do?>

The other place had them @$13.pill of 5 mg....but that was AZB's favorite place...hehehe..for light skinned yuppies??? HO HO HO...

I looked online and in the usa it's approximately $1 per pill so at 9 peso per pill it cheaper in the DR.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Thanks all for you help. Hillbilly I will pm you.

I knew I could rely on you guys out there!!!!!

Matilda

Tarheel

Dec 19, 2005
Another way to communicate

AZB

AZB,

I am not sure you mean to be as obnoxious as you sound. It appears in many threads that you really want to help people but instead you turn them off. Why not use milder language and get your point across without offending people. For instance you could have said it this way:

"Have you tried pharmacys' in the Capitol? Perhaps they are better stocked than the ones in your area. Another suggestion is genaric equilvalents that are in the same family of drugs."

Reactions: Keith R

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
Then AZB would, of course, respond that pharmacies in upper middle class barrios, generally staffed by classy, lighter-skinned chicas, would always have the medicine in stock, but a greasy gringo like you wouldn't know that....:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:.................

J

joerusso

2 cents

Listen, this looks like a real issue! For example, I was taking methadone for a long time as well as gabatina/lyrica. one is a pain killer extended release and the other is for nerve pain. If you take such meds you cannot just stop. your body can and most likely will go into shock or convulsions. So I hope that some folks here can help this person. I'm in a bad situation as well, so I hope some folks here will post on my thread when I create it in just a minute or 2. Good luck to Matilda in her search and God bless those who help.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
A box of 30 Warfarina is on its way to you via Metropac - should arrive Juan Dolio Weds. am. Same price as HB posted RD$377. That cleared one pharmacy out! No Coumadin in Puerto Plata & because everyone has been taking Warfarina that also is getting 'super super escaso'. Warfarina is the generic so your friend can safely take it. I checked this with my doctor, the one you've met Matilda, & 3 farmacias.

I also went to the farmacia owned by one of our neighbours - he said there is no Coumadin at the distribution centre so as soon as old supplies have been sold, the problem will be the same for the whole country. No idea when distribution centre is getting any more in. Scarcity of Warfarina means I can probably get one more box of 30 if you want, but that's it! Suggest HB's farmacia with the 100's sounds a good bet for your friend to stock up. Our neighbour the owner of Farmacia Carmen said more will become available but absolutely no-one has a timeline. It might raise the issue of unfairness to other patients but to stop any panic attacks your friend had better get in a supply of Warfarina from wherever she can. And maybe look into arrangements to ship in from abroad (like I do with my brand of HRT which isn't sold here or the US). I wish her well.

FYI Heparin acts differently, I'm told, so she might want to check out with her doctor if it would be suitable (that's IF she can get it).

margaret

Bronze
Aug 9, 2006
Thank goodness... I was half expecting the resident DR1 bush doctor to get on and suggest she try rat poison or drink massive quanitites of vanilla extract. LOL

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
You guys are great!!! Can i get a 'vestida de novia' presidente beer? right a way? :cheeky: I need one badly because if i don't uhm uhm i will be sick.....yeah that.:cheeky:

Status
Not open for further replies.