Need english translation for a type of wood

Taylor

Buy the ticket, take the ride
Jan 28, 2005
I was out at a Dominican farm today, and the owner was showing me his kiosk. It was made of a really hard tropical hardwood, but I could not figure out what it was. He called it kola (not sure how to spell it).. can anyone tell me what it's called in english

Thanks in advance!

J

joerusso

I was out at a Dominican farm today, and the owner was showing me his kiosk. It was made of a really hard tropical hardwood, but I could not figure out what it was. He called it kola (not sure how to spell it).. can anyone tell me what it's called in english

Thanks in advance!

My wife say's its pine because it's more cheap. The stores around here go to the farms

ben jammin

Aug 3, 2007
there is a brazilian koa woodhttp://www.lumberliquidators.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=5618&categoryId=41&sectionId=1&subCategoryId=0

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
all dark , hard, woods are called caoba by most dominicans. it may be walnut, mahogany, mystery wood, it will be called caoba by all but a few who really know the difference.

Taylor

Jan 28, 2005
it is not caoba, but it looks like it. it it much harder and water resistant. it is a native wood usually used for floors.

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
lignum vitae is so hard and heavy that it doesn't float in water, it's native to the DR, could be.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
Ive been told there's a brazilian wood that may be found here, much harder and water resistent than caoba/mahogony usually used for flooring and outdoor decking...called Ipe...

Taylor

Jan 28, 2005
not ipe, nothing mentioned yet. It's a native wood that is not available for sale. Can't find the name on the internet. I may have to ask the Jardin Botanico next time I'm there.