Nearest satellite?

Aug 21, 2007
I have searched the GPS threads hoping to find an answer to this question, but had no luck. I have a new mySKY star exploration instrument that uses GPS to identify stars I see in the sky and to give me a tour of the stars I see on any given night. I want to use it here in the DR.

I am trying to set my location on the gizmo. It asks for the nearest satellite. It has Dominican Republic and Santo Domingo, but then, the mySKY stops, freezes. Is there a satellite over Santo Domingo? Is it operational?

If not, the nearest satellite would be above what city, US or otherwise?

I wonder if the mySKY freezes because there are no nearby satellites, the same problem had by car GPS systems.

There is a customer service number for the mySKY, but it is an 800 number.

Hope someone can shed some light on this for me.

Thanks-

Lindsey

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
If you want to call the 800 number dial 1-880 and the number instead of 1-800. You will first hear a recording telling you the call is not free and to hang up if you do not want to pay, just stay on the line and you will be connected. The price of the call is the same as any call to the US.

Aug 21, 2007
If you want to call the 800 number dial 1-880 and the number instead of 1-800. You will first hear a recording telling you the call is not free and to hang up if you do not want to pay, just stay on the line and you will be connected. The price of the call is the same as any call to the US.

Thanks, Sky, yes I will call.

CyaBye3015

Bronze
Jan 8, 2003
Is there a satellite over Santo Domingo? Is it operational?

If not, the nearest satellite would be above what city, US or otherwise?

I wonder if the mySKY freezes because there are no nearby satellites, the same problem had by car GPS systems.

GPS satellites rotate around the earth, they are not stationary.

Aug 21, 2007
I called Meade, the company that makes the mySky. My problem had nothing to do with the satellites or GPS. My instrument has a defective chip. They are replacing it and I hope all will be well.

Thanks to everyone for the very interesting information on satellites. I never knew. To me, they were just one of the many miracles our world has to offer.

Lindsey

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
HowStuffWorks "How GPS Receivers Work"

I was surprised to read that these satellites are not geo-synchronous, but do indeed circle the earth twice per day. From the above web site:

"When people talk about "a GPS," they usually mean a GPS receiver. The Global Positioning System (GPS) is actually a constellation of 27 Earth-orbiting satellites (24 in operation and three extras in case one fails). The U.S. military developed and implemented this satellite network as a military navigation system, but soon opened it up to everybody else.

Each of these 3,000- to 4,000-pound solar-powered satellites circles the globe at about 12,000 miles (19,300 km), making two complete rotations every day. The orbits are arranged so that at any time, anywhere on Earth, there are at least four satellites "visible" in the sky. "

wow wonderful info. thanks. :glasses: :surprised:surprised