I thought this might benefit the ladies

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
I recevied this e-mail:

Dear Sisters and wives of my gentlemen friends,

I was informed by the Moderator of Women's workcom. that one of her rep. had been diagnosed with
breast cancer and she is concerned that we should inform our friends about this.

Ladies - some awareness!!! Gentleman - pass on to the ladies in your life, to all the women you know.

Some time ago, I attended a Breast Cancer Awareness seminar put on by Terry & A period.
I asked why the most common area for Breast Cancer was near the armpit.

My question could not be answered at that time. This e-mail was just sent to me,
and I find it interesting that my question has been answered.

I challenge you all to rethink your every day use of a product that could ultimately lead to a terminal illness.
As of today, I will change my use. A friend forwarded this to me.

I showed it to a friend going through chemotherapy andshe said she learned this fact in a support group recently.

I just got information from a health seminar that I would like to share. The leading cause of breast cancer is the
use of anti-perspirant.

What? A concentration of toxins and leads to cellmutations, a.k.a. CANCER .
Yes, ANTI-PERSPIRANT. Most of the products out there are an anti-perspirant /deodorant combination,
so go home and check. Deodorant is fine, anti-perspirant is not.

Here's why:- The human body has a few areas that it uses to purge toxins; behind the knees ,
behind the ears, groin area, and armpits. The toxins are purged in the form of perspiration.
Anti-perspirant , as the name clearly indicates, prevents you from perspiring,
thereby inhibiting the body from purging toxins from below the armpits.

These toxins do not just magically disappear. Instead, the body deposits them in the lymph nodes below
the arms since it cannot sweat them out. Nearly allbreast cancer tumors occur in the upper outside quadrant
of the breast area. This is precisely where the lymph nodes are located.

Additionally, men are less likely (but not completely exempt) to develop breast cancer prompted by
anti- perspirant usage because most of the anti-perspirant product is caught in their hair and is not
directly applied to the skin. Women who apply anti-perspirant right after shaving increase the risk
further because shaving causes almost imperceptible nicks in the skin which give the chemicals
entrance into the body from the armpit area.

PLEASE pass this along to anyone you care about.

Breast cancer is becoming frighteningly common.

This awareness may save lives.

drtampa

Bronze
Oct 1, 2004
New Ulm, TX
American Cancer Society

Do antiperspirants really cause breast cancer?

Rumors, Myths, and Truths

Antiperspirants and Breast Cancer Risk

The Claim
A persistent internet email rumor has suggested that underarm antiperspirants cause breast cancer. It also claims that
Underarm shaving allows cancer-causing substances in antiperspirants to be absorbed through razor nicks. These substances prevent underarm lymph nodes from removing cancer-causing toxins from the breasts.
Most breast cancers develop in the upper outer quadrant of the breast because that area is closest to the lymph nodes exposed to antiperspirants.
Men have a lower risk of developing breast cancer because they do not shave their underarms, and their underarm hair prevents chemicals in antiperspirants from being absorbed.
These claims are largely untrue.

The Response

Do antiperspirants increase a person's risk of developing breast cancer?

There is no good scientific evidence to support this claim. The American Cancer Society is not aware of any strong epidemiologic studies reporting a statistical link between breast cancer risk and antiperspirant use.

In fact, a carefully-designed epidemiologic study of this issue published in 2002 compared 813 women with breast cancer and 793 women without the disease. The researchers found no relationship between breast cancer risk and antiperspirant use, deodorant use, or underarm shaving.

Another study published in 2003 reported that women who used underarm antiperspirant and shaved their underarms tended to be diagnosed with breast cancer at a younger age than women who do not. However, the study design did not include a control group of women without breast cancer and has been criticized by experts as not relevant to the safety of these underarm hygiene practices. It is probable that, in general, young women are more likely than elderly women to shave their underarms, regardless of whether they later develop breast cancer. This is a more likely explanation of the researchers? findings than the suggestion that these practices cause cancer.

Does applying antiperspirant after shaving allow chemicals to enter the body from the armpit area and increase breast cancer risk?

Razor nicks may increase the risk of skin infection. If an infection of the underarm skin is present, it is possible that some antiperspirants could cause slight irritation. But it is unlikely that this is a significant source of carcinogens (cancer causing substances) that ever reach the breast cells.

Should I be concerned about parabens in antiperspirants?

In 2004, a small study found laboratory evidence of low levels of substances called parabens in some samples of breast cancer tumors. Parabens are used in some underarm products as preservatives and may have entered the breast through the underarms in these cases. A possible concern is that in other studies, parabens have been found to have weak estrogen-like properties. Estrogen is a female hormone known to cause breast cells (normal and cancerous) to grow and divide. Some conditions that increase the body?s exposure to estrogen (not having children, late menopause, obesity, etc.) have been linked to an increased risk of breast cancer.

But there are some important points to keep in mind regarding the 2004 findings:

The researchers looked only for the presence of parabens in breast cancer samples. The study did not show that parabens caused or contributed to breast cancer development in these cases -- it only showed that they were there. The significance of this is not yet clear.
While parabens have weak estrogen-like properties, the estrogens that occur naturally in the body are hundreds to thousands of times more potent. Therefore, these natural estrogens (or those taken as hormone replacement) are much more likely to play a role in breast cancer development.
Parabens are widely used as preservatives in shampoo, lotions, and other cosmetics. This study did not contain any information useful in determining the source of parabens found in breast tissue.
Ongoing studies to date have not shown any direct link between parabens and breast cancer risk. What has been found is that there are many other compounds in the environment that also mimic naturally produced estrogen.

The bottom line is that larger studies are needed to determine what effect, if any, parabens might have on breast cancer risk. This topic will undoubtedly continue to receive scientific attention.

Is it true that antiperspirants keep a person from sweating cancer-causing toxins out through their underarm lymph nodes and this results in a build-up of these toxins in breast tissue?

Lymph nodes help clear some toxins in the body; however, the lymph nodes do not release these toxins through sweating. Sweat glands are not connected to lymph nodes. Sweat glands are located in the skin, not in the lymph nodes. Most cancer-causing substances are removed by the kidneys (and released into urine) and by the liver (and released into bile, which mixes with and is eliminated with feces).

Are there lymph nodes located in the upper outer quadrant where most breast tumors occur?

Lymph nodes are located throughout the breasts and have an important role. The axillary nodes carry most of the lymph flowing out of the breast. These nodes are located in the underarm along the chest in the ?axillary tail,? which is near the upper outer quadrant of breast tissue.

The breast quadrants are not actually all the same size. About half of all breast cancers develop in the upper outer quadrant, probably because most breast tissue is located in this quadrant. The number of breast cancers in the upper outer quadrant is proportional to the amount of tissue in that area.

There is no evidence, to suggest that the location of cancers within the breast is related to antiperspirants use or underarm shaving.

Are men less likely to get breast cancer because antiperspirant gets caught in their underarm hair and is not absorbed by their skin?

No, men are significantly less likely than women to develop breast cancer because men have much less breast tissue than women. Women have about 100 times more breast tissue than men do and are about 100 times more likely to develop breast cancer. Hormonal factors also play a role. Men with metabolic or genetic conditions that lead to increased estrogen (female hormone) levels have an increased risk of developing breast cancer. Underarm hair and antiperspirant absorption have not been linked to male breast cancer risk.

Why does my doctor tell me not to use antiperspirant or deodorant on the day of my mammogram?

The reason for this is that many of these products contain aluminum, which is a metal and can show up on a mammogram as tiny specks in the area. These specks can look like microcalcifications, which are one of the things doctors look for as a possible sign of cancer. Avoiding the use of these products helps prevent any confusion when looking at the mammogram films.

How did this rumor get started and spread?

We don't know who is responsible for starting this rumor. Most people who forwarded the e-mail did so with good intentions. We do know that this rumor is posted on several internet Web sites that sell deodorants that are not antiperspirants and so might benefit financially from spread of this misinformation.

margaret

Bronze
Aug 9, 2006
Thanks bronxboyatheart. I used to think this claim was a myth but increasing the cosmetics industry is moving away from using preservatives -- Methylparaben,
Ethylparaben, p-Propylparaben, Isobutylparaben, n-Butylparaben and
Benzylparaben -- to paraben-free products and I doubt they would re-formulate on their own unless there was serious concern. Mind you their products will be cheaper to manufacture and have to be stored in the fridge and tossed out earlier.... hmmmm.

I wonder where death from breast cancer falls in the mortality of women in the DR? Does anyone have that information?

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
DR1 women members and Dominican women!!!!!

Todas las mujeres

You are a funny guy, its DR related because Dominicans are reading it. Instead of spreading rumors and myths try a little research before spreading fear. I know you meant well but we all receive garbage by e-mail all the time and with a little homework we should filter the stuff.:cheeky:

Email Rumors
Email Rumor Links Anti-perspirant to Breast Cancer

ACS :: Email Rumors

Study disproves e-mail hoax linking antiperspirants, cancer

USATODAY.com - Study disproves e-mail hoax linking antiperspirants, cancer

Antiperspirant Use Does Not Increase Risk Of Breast Cancer
Study Proves Pervasive Rumor Is Not Fact
Article date: 2002/10/23

There is no proof that the use of antiperspirants or deodorants causes breast cancer, contrary to widespread rumor, according to a new study reported in the Journal of the National Cancer Institute (Vol. 94, No. 20: 1578-1580).

ACS :: Antiperspirant Use Does Not Increase Risk Of Breast Cancer

Antiperspirants/Deodorants and Breast Cancer: Questions and Answers

Antiperspirants/Deodorants and Breast Cancer - National Cancer Institute

margaret

Bronze
Aug 9, 2006
That was my reaction when I first received an email a couple years ago, but there are some new studies that call for MORE research and I read something recently that the cosmetic industry is reformulating everything and soon all products applied to the skin will be paraben-free.

Darbre PD, Harvey PW. Paraben esters: review of recent studies of endocrine toxicity, absorption, esterase and human exposure, and discussion of potential human health risks. J Appl Toxicol. 2008 Jul;28(5):561-78.

Paraben esters: review of recent studies of endocr...[J Appl Toxicol. 2008] - PubMed Result

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Thanks for posting the research A. Hidalgo!!!!

This is first time I saw something like this and I thought maybe a few might benefit from it.

It is all good!!!:bunny::bunny:

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
Agreed more studies are needed, but nowhere in that study linked by margaret is there an indication that cancers are the result from using said products.

Last edited:

Charlielyn

Bronze
Jul 31, 2005
I say it again. Breast Cancer starts in the breast and goes to the Lymph nodes. You can have breast cancer and not have cancerous lymph nodes under the arm.

Also, don't men use anti-perspirants????