propane update and thanks to rocky.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
My propane system's problem in my car has been resolved. It seems I was not following the manufacture's recommended procedure to run my propane system in my car. I was not letting the car engine rpm change over to propane, instead I was forcefully gas peddling the engine to raise RPM to 2k and then have the propane click in and thus save my gasoline from being used. This old gasoline clogged up my fuel injectors and stopped my fuel pump from working normally.
The fix: I drove my car on gasoline for 4 days and put in new fuel, added injectors cleaner and now I am all normal. I start my car on gasoline, drive a bit and let the car change automatically to propane like it was designed to do so in the first place.

Now how is rocky involved in this business? He suggested I should have my catalytic converter inspected in case it was clogged. this would certainly effect my fuel consumption, temperature of the engine and also might even burn my engine without even noticing any temp change in the gauge. This got my attention because i trust rocky's intuition and his experience in repairs from computers to cars to inverters etc. Seems like this man really gets down and dirty and figures out all there is to know about any problems or malfunctions. So I went to have my cat. converter checked. Upon superficial inspection, the mechanic insisted my cat. converter was not blocked and I didn't need to do anything. I didn't take his words as coming out of bible, I insisted to have the converter removed and have some sort of silencer installed in its place to avoid any loud noise from muffler. The cat. converter was removed and in place, got a 1200 peso silencer installed to reduce the noise to original level. The switch was simple and the car noise was not affected at all. Now I asked the mechanic to reinspect the cat. converter again from inside now. To his surprise, the cat converter was almost 80% + blocked. It was just a matter of time before the converter would block up 100% and kill my engine.
Now the converter is out, my car runs better and my fuel economy has improved. I use less gasoline and the car runs smoother.
Thanks to rocky for his genious in this matter. I am a happy chappie once again.
AZB

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Is this going to be another one of those? And, I think if you check AZB, it should be spelt genius :)

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Yes i think it is whirley, I for one am super super pleased that it all worked out and was thrilled to read the step by step process...not at all dramatic!

I agree that it was fantastic that it all worked out so well - like we all need that info anyway!! Could it be the 'drama king' talking?

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I agree that it was fantastic that it all worked out so well - like we all need that info anyway!! Could it be the 'drama king' talking?
Drama is having to rebuild your engine 3 TIMES.... Yes 3 times, I rebuilt my Toyota's engine, back in the early 90's and would have been doing it a 4th time if a fellow in POP hadn't insisted that I needed to "punch out" my catalytic converter, and he was right.
I screamed out of the muffler joint like it was a sports car, mileage and performance almost doubled and I never had to rebuild it again.
At the tine, nobody could ever give me a good reason as to why I kept burning the engine.
The catalytic converter was the reason.
Clearly, AZB's was not as bad as mine, but with time, it would have destroyed the engine, all while giving him poor mileage.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
I can't imagine a " high class guy " ( AZB ) making a line with all those Choferes de carro publico ( chopos ) to fill up his propane tank.

JJ.

DOMINCAN JOE

Bronze
Aug 15, 2006
Catalytic Convertor What,s Inside

Catalytic converter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

:bunny:contains precious metals.:ermm: Platinum Palladium Rhodium, but Nickel is not legal for use in the European Union it makes you think why a catalytic exhaust is so expensive ermm :bunny:TO KILL PEOPLE

I was not following the manufacture's recommended
changes came about in 1975 with an interesting device called a catalytic converter.
So I went to have my cat. converter checked. Upon superficial inspection, the mechanic insisted my cat. converter was not blocked and I didn't need to do anything. I insisted to have the converter removed the
converter was removed and in place, got a 1200 peso silencer installed
Now I asked the mechanic to reinspect the cat. converter again from inside now. To his surprise, the cat converter was almost 80% + blocked. It was just a matter of time before the converter would block up 100% AZB

:bunny: and kill People Now the converter is out, why a catalytic exhaust is so expensive ermm :bunny:TO KILL PEOPLE Catalytic Converter are put in not to kill people Over the years, automakers have made many refinements to car engines and fuel systems to keep up with these laws. One of these changes came about in 1975 with an interesting device called a catalytic converter. The job of the catalytic converter is to convert harmful pollutants into less harmful emissions before they ever leave the car's exhaust system. :ermm:Read it here HowStuffWorks "How Catalytic Converters Work" :eek: :speechles :dead::dead:
Good grief, Charlie Brown.
My SECOND mistake for the year.
Now I have to make it to August '09 without a slip... Ughhhhhhh.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
My propane system's problem in my car has been resolved. It seems I was not following the manufacture's recommended procedure to run my propane system in my car. I was not letting the car engine rpm change over to propane, instead I was forcefully gas peddling the engine to raise RPM to 2k and then have the propane click in and thus save my gasoline from being used. This old gasoline clogged up my fuel injectors and stopped my fuel pump from working normally.
The fix: I drove my car on gasoline for 4 days and put in new fuel, added injectors cleaner and now I am all normal. I start my car on gasoline, drive a bit and let the car change automatically to propane like it was designed to do so in the first place.

Now how is rocky involved in this business? He suggested I should have my catalytic converter inspected in case it was clogged. this would certainly effect my fuel consumption, temperature of the engine and also might even burn my engine without even noticing any temp change in the gauge. This got my attention because i trust rocky's intuition and his experience in repairs from computers to cars to inverters etc. Seems like this man really gets down and dirty and figures out all there is to know about any problems or malfunctions. So I went to have my cat. converter checked. Upon superficial inspection, the mechanic insisted my cat. converter was not blocked and I didn't need to do anything. I didn't take his words as coming out of bible, I insisted to have the converter removed and have some sort of silencer installed in its place to avoid any loud noise from muffler. The cat. converter was removed and in place, got a 1200 peso silencer installed to reduce the noise to original level. The switch was simple and the car noise was not affected at all. Now I asked the mechanic to reinspect the cat. converter again from inside now. To his surprise, the cat converter was almost 80% + blocked. It was just a matter of time before the converter would block up 100% and kill my engine.
Now the converter is out, my car runs better and my fuel economy has improved. I use less gasoline and the car runs smoother.
Thanks to rocky for his genious in this matter. I am a happy chappie once again.
AZB
My LPG conversion system automatically switches to propane at 1000rpm. The techs specifically said to blip the throttle BEFORE putting it in gear.

What year is your Toyota? Did you even have any of the engine componets modified or disconnected? I'm scratching my head a little about the CatConv being clogged. In a properly tuned engine a CC has almost an unlimited life. I've driven 2 vehicles over 200,000 miles and never had one problem. But I never altered any system in them.

Not at all saying it can't happen, but It's new to me.

FWIW-our MotoCaribe Motorcycle Adventure Touring in the Dominican Republic on V-Strom 650's All-Inclusive guided tours Suzuki V-Strom 650's were built in Colombia, and do not have CC's. One of our guests whom also owns a V-Strom...but made in Japan that has a CC...said our bikes sound and feel more powerful.

As a side note, are there laws in the DR prohibiting any tampering with emission systems?

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I can't imagine a " high class guy " ( AZB ) making a line with all those Choferes de carro publico ( chopos ) to fill up his propane tank.

JJ.

If you don't live here, then shut up and learn from us, the residents.
You would be surprised to see how many SUVs are also in line to fill up at the propane station. Your info is old, conchos are not the only ones with propane now.
AZB

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
AZB:

Bachata was born and raised in Santiago bro....and happens to be a good dude!

What's up with you lately?

I think he was making a joke, did you lose your sense of humour in the catalytic converter.

tio tambo'

ggparts

Mar 20, 2003
I have driven over 500,000 kms using propane

Catalytic converter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

:bunny:contains precious metals.:ermm: Platinum Palladium Rhodium, but Nickel is not legal for use in the European Union it makes you think why a catalytic exhaust is so expensive ermm :bunny:TO KILL PEOPLE

:bunny: and kill People Now the converter is out, why a catalytic exhaust is so expensive ermm :bunny:TO KILL PEOPLE Catalytic Converter are put in not to kill people Over the years, automakers have made many refinements to car engines and fuel systems to keep up with these laws. One of these changes came about in 1975 with an interesting device called a catalytic converter. The job of the catalytic converter is to convert harmful pollutants into less harmful emissions before they ever leave the car's exhaust system. :ermm:Read it here HowStuffWorks "How Catalytic Converters Work" :eek: :speechles :dead::dead:

Here in Canada in the 80's (and maybe stil) the federal government subsidised the conversion to propane due to the much lower emisions when using propane as a fuel in automobiles. Based on some of these facts:

Tests conducted by the U. S. Environmental Protection Agency show that properly tuned propane engines produce 30% to 90% less carbon monoxide than properly tuned gasoline engines.

Propane emits about 50% fewer toxins and other smog-producing emissions than gasoline.

Propane is an approved alternative fuel listed in the Clean Air Act Amendments of 1990 and the Energy Policy Act of 1992.

I drove a taxicab for over twenty years and had my vehicles inpected every six months (taxi regulations) and if the car was propane or natural gas equipped, no catalitic converter was required to pass. I am very confident that any vehicle driven while using propane as a fuel with no cat is certainly cleaner than the same one using gasoline and a cat converter, not to mention a partly clogged one or a poorly tumed engine, (like we have never seen one of those in the DR)
ggparts

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
AZB:

Bachata was born and raised in Santiago bro....and happens to be a good dude!

What's up with you lately?

I think he was making a joke, did you lose your sense of humour in the catalytic converter.

tio tambo'

Ok, maybe I didn't understand his humor. Its just, whenever I try to give out info that can be useful to some people, someone always throws in "high class, white chicks, rich folks etc" crap. So I thought he was taking a cheap shot at me. But if he is a cool dude and a santiaguero, then I take my post back. Fair enough?

AZB

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
cat. converter is not needed in DR. I was told, the fuel is of such a low quality here that cat. converters clog up after a few years. The radiator also gets clogged up in DR because many people use water in the radiators. Just go to a radiator shop, have the guy take out the radiator, flush it, open it up, clean the coils, take out oxidation with chemicals and have him repack and reinstall in it car. The job was 500 pesos before, I don't expect the prices to raise so much. This will also save you from burning your engine.
AZB

Last edited by a moderator: