Can This Be Possible?

richmex

Apr 9, 2008
AIDS prevalence in Dominican Republic is stable, the UN reports

Santo Domingo.- The Global Report of the Joint United Nations Program on HIV/AIDS (UNAIDS) yesterday said the epidemic in the Dominican Republic is stable, ranging between 0.8 and 1.2 percent, with a prevalence estimated at one percent.

UNAIDS official in the country Ana Maria Navarro noted that there are groups with increased risk to exposure, such as sex workers and drug users, although the most vulnerable are men who have sex with other men and inhabitants of the bateyes, where the figures are higher than in the general population.

She highlighted the Dominican Government’s efforts to respond to the epidemic, citing among the important achievements the increased coverage of antiretroviral treatment, as well as the increase in the number of patients who are under comprehensive care.

Taken from http://www.dominicantoday.com/dr/lo...n-Dominican-Republic-is-stable-the-UN-reports

I found this on Dominican Today, and my question is, do you think it is possible that there is only 1% of the population that is exposed to Aids? I find this hard to believe, taking in account of more than 50,000 Dominican Women are "WORKING THROUGHOUT EUROPE", in Dominican Today, which when based by population, is unbelievable. What makes it even worse is that there are countries throughout the caribbean that does not come close to the D.R. by percentage of population as far as women that are "working" outside of their country.

Last edited by a moderator:

sollie

Jul 30, 2006
"Santo Domingo.- The Global Report of the Joint United Nations Program on HIV/AIDS (UNAIDS) yesterday said the epidemic in the Dominican Republic is stable, ranging between 0.8 and 1.2 percent, with a prevalence estimated at one percent."

Err ... the article stated "...in the Dominican Republic... " makes me wonder if the percentages given are still accurate? :paranoid:

Sollie

Last edited:

Theforceinme

Oct 19, 2007
www.facebook.com
A stable epidemic? Hahaha, the oxymorons.

I don't believe our rate is 1%. That's just far too low an estimate. I have no idea, but in a world were prostitution is rife, where caba?as are all the rage, and where men don't use condoms because it doesn't feel as good... that's a bit unrealistic.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
A stable epidemic? Hahaha, the oxymorons.

I don't believe our rate is 1%. That's just far too low an estimate. I have no idea, but in a world were prostitution is rife, where caba?as are all the rage, and where men don't use condoms because it doesn't feel as good... that's a bit unrealistic.

:surprised:speechles:disappoin:dead:...........

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
Just as it may be incorrect to claim these estimates as being anywhere near factual, it is also incorrect for people to assume that the island is rife with HIV.

I hear this all the time about the DR-"Oh, be careful-AIDS is really doing a number on the DR!!!"

I highly doubt the people who have done these studies have the means to do a thoroughly conclusive and accurate study, with the state of public healthcare being what it is.

So one way or another it is difficult to get a really accurate picture.

Speaking of men not using condoms, here is another thing-dominican women also play a role in this condom issue. I have met quite a few who say they do not use condoms because they don't like the way they feel.

And when asked about pregnancy concerns, the consensus seems to be "Que sea lo que Dios quiere!!!"

These weren't necessarily chicas that I've been with and my questionnaire was far from conclusive:cheeky:, so don't take this as gospel.

But this attitude also needs to be taken into account to explain the many chicas walking around with kids at a young age and no father in sight and the spreading of any diseases.

ritagillison3

Aug 10, 2008
I'm living this nightmare right now. My soon to be ex-husband hooked up with a DR woman and they didn't use condoms. Now she's claiming to be pregnant and that he is the father. She also claims he is the only one she has had sex with. My biggest concern is the risk and exposure to me. I'm also concerned about AIDs and HIV.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I'm living this nightmare right now. My soon to be ex-husband hooked up with a DR woman and they didn't use condoms. Now she's claiming to be pregnant and that he is the father. She also claims he is the only one she has had sex with. My biggest concern is the risk and exposure to me. I'm also concerned about AIDs and HIV.
You need only avoid unsafe sex until you are both tested and get negative results.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
I could believe that, AIDS isn't that easy to pass by contrary of what people think, now the goal is to maintain that figure in that same level or to lower it. Have in mind that the places most affected are tourist towns and Ingenios de Ca?a.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I am sorry. Ihave friends that work with HiV+ and AIDS patients. No way that figure (1%) is accurate....
While the rate might be steadying, I very much doubt that it is less then 3% and in some specific areas as high as 10%.

HB

Sep 19, 2005
You need only avoid unsafe sex until you are both tested and get negative results.

I hope you werent suggesting with each other!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ha ha

that could be deadly at a much rapid rate than the aids virus!!!!!!!:ninja::ninja::ninja:

bad bob

Princesa777

Apr 13, 2008
I am sorry. Ihave friends that work with HiV+ and AIDS patients. No way that figure (1%) is accurate....
While the rate might be steadying, I very much doubt that it is less then 3% and in some specific areas as high as 10%.

HB

While 1% might not be exactly accurate it is a fairly reliable. There are a number of researches that come down to this same number. And yes it is true that the people that did the study didnt have the means or recourses to do a completely thorough study, HOWEVER this counts for many many countries and the numbers are still accepted.
1% may seem like a low number (I've read Haiti had a much higher number with 8%) But this is actually quite a lot. A percentage of 1 or more, means that AIDS has become an epidemic spread to the general population (as opposed to just the high risk groups)

The spread of AIDS in some specific groups or areas might be a lot higher than 1% though!! I've heard of (not scientific) numbers of 50% among sex workers in some areas... But these are just some (small) groups, they are not represenative for the whole country.
The 1% is from all people; young, old, rich, poor, educated and uneducated etc.

margaret

Bronze
Aug 9, 2006
UNICEF - At a glance: Dominican Republic - Statistics

USAID Health: HIV/AIDS, Countries, Dominican Republic

1.1% - 66,000

I read somewhere that it's 3.9% with female sex workers and then amongst the Haitian sex workers within the DR it's much higher.

But if you look at this abstract on a recent study on mother-to-child HIV transmission, of the 23,067 pregnant women tested, 581 (2.5%) were HIV positive.

http://cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=15349333

It's also interesting to note the sexual risk behaviour of the HIV-positive patients in this clinic.

Most patients (72.4%) had been sexually active since their HIV diagnosis. Following their diagnosis, 72.8% of sexually active patients used condoms more frequently, 21.7% used condoms with the same frequency and 5.4% used condoms less often. The most common reason cited for not using a condom after HIV diagnosis differed by gender; men cited decreased sexual pleasure (70.0%) and women reported that their partner had refused to use a condom (71.8%). Sexually active patients who believed that their partner did not have HIV were much more likely to report using a condom at their last sexual encounter than those who did not know their partner's HIV status (OR=16.9). HIV-positive patients reported using condoms more frequently following their HIV diagnosis and were more likely to use a condom if they believed their partner did not have HIV. Increased HIV testing may lead to reduced sexual risk behaviour in the Dominican Republic.

Sexual risk behaviour among HIV-positive patients ...[AIDS Care. 2008] - PubMed Result

I would be interested to hear more about your contacts who work in this field Hillbilly. I'm sure they must know what is going on and can see the trend long before it gets published and where energy should be focussed to tackle this problem.