London UK to DR.....

RoblondonUK

Jul 25, 2008
Thomascook.com have quite a good deal.......I booked a flight for Jan 2009 costing 442 British pounds which is good for the DR.....i paid 100 deposit with the balance required 12 weeks before the flight.......
Obviously if you cancel you lose the 100,all other airlines i checked were over 550 and wanted it all now with no refund at all if you had to cancel for some reason.......
Maybe of use to somebody in the UK.......

Grandma Jen

Jan 16, 2008
Flights to DR

check out cheapflights.co.uk they are pretty good - saw some today for ?335 for September 1st

RoblondonUK

Jul 25, 2008
Thomas Cook provide the least legroom of any flight I've ever been on

Thompson are much better

Try : Charter Flight Centre Home page [charterflights.co.uk]

But if you're looking to go during August they will all be extra obviously

Regards,
Paul

Sorry but tour operators providing leg room?
I thought that planes provided that,plus Thompsons do not exist any more.Also Paul chaterflights.co.uk is an agency.
Rob

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I thought that planes provided that,plus Thompsons do not exist any more.Also Paul chaterflights.co.uk is an agency.
Rob

There IS a Thomas Cook Airline & also the JMC airline (as in John Mason Cook) a UK charter airline formed by the merger of Caledonian Airways and Flying Colours Airlines following the purchase of Thomas Cook Group by the Carlson Leisure Group. Then they incorporated My Travel as well.
And if Thomson's dont exist any more I wonder which flight it was delivered my friends last Wednesday :cheeky:? It's called thomsonfly.com if you want to look it up. All part of TUI.

Don't worry Freemo, we know what you meant :). And I agree about the leg room & service generally. I went DR-UK last year on Thomson & came back My Travel/Thomas Cook and there was NO comparison. And I upgraded on both.

Freemo

May 26, 2003
Rob

No ned to apologise, You're quite right about charterflight being an agency, they give good prices is what I wanted to impart to someone interested in getting a good flight deal.

They do mainly Thomas Cook flights or Thomson flights

Thomas Cook flights are real tight on legroom

We came over to the DR in January our flight was a Thompson flight.

Lovely and roomy

Paul

RoblondonUK

Jul 25, 2008
There IS a Thomas Cook Airline & also the JMC airline (as in John Mason Cook) a UK charter airline formed by the merger of Caledonian Airways and Flying Colours Airlines following the purchase of Thomas Cook Group by the Carlson Leisure Group. Then they incorporated My Travel as well.
And if Thomson's dont exist any more I wonder which flight it was delivered my friends last Wednesday :cheeky:? It's called thomsonfly.com if you want to look it up. All part of TUI.

Don't worry Freemo, we know what you meant :). And I agree about the leg room & service generally. I went DR-UK last year on Thomson & came back My Travel/Thomas Cook and there was NO comparison. And I upgraded on both.

If you look at Pauls post he stated ThomPsons not ThomSons which of course does operate flights,im not trying to start some sort of debate here i was just wondering how one 747 can have more legroom than others...and the company ThomPsons no longer operates....

rio2003

Bronze
Aug 16, 2006
Leg room v Aircraft type

If you look at Pauls post he stated ThomPsons not ThomSons which of course does operate flights,im not trying to start some sort of debate here i was just wondering how one 747 can have more legroom than others...and the company ThomPsons no longer operates....

747's are not generally used on the UK/DR routes. The majority of aircraft used by all UK companies are from the Airbus series which are a lot more comfortable and afford more leg room in general. Occasionally a 767 is used which do tend to be "sardine class" and cram in too many seats for the size of the plane. It depends on the airline as to how many seats they have fitted in and how much leg room there is. With the very very occasional cases of DVT the airlines are working towards increased leg room - some more so than others.
The following info was taken from Thomsons current flight info pages. I must admit that I have been a little peed off in the past when I have booked tickets for a DR trip on what I was told was going to be an Airbus to find that due to maintainence or technical difficulties ended up on a 767. Being 5'9" and travelling alone I don't enjoy folding myself in half and having an overweight "friendly" person sharing my seat with me! Jack Daniels usually comes to my aid, bless him!
;)

Airline Seat Pitch Economy Premium

Thomsonfly 33" 37"

First Choice 33" 36"

Thomas Cook 33" 37"

MyTravel 30" 35"

Monarch 30" 34"

Rio

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com

Aw c'mon. We all noticed the typo but we weren't going to be so pedantic as to pick Paul up on it, particularly since his wife & kids have just left UK to move here & he is clearly missing them.

And in answer to how one aircraft can have more legroom than another - the aircraft can have different configurations i.e. seating rows can be moved, can they not?

The other thing I noticed last year was that Thomsonfly have fewer rows in Premium than My Travel so it really was First Class Silver Service (as per a scheduled flight) because there were fewer of us. The My Travel staff were fine but they just had more people to attend to.

RoblondonUK

Jul 25, 2008
Aw c'mon. We all noticed the typo but we weren't going to be so pedantic as to pick Paul up on it, particularly since his wife & kids have just left UK to move here & he is clearly missing them.

And in answer to how one aircraft can have more legroom than another - the aircraft can have different configurations i.e. seating rows can be moved, can they not?

The other thing I noticed last year was that Thomsonfly have fewer rows in Premium than My Travel so it really was First Class Silver Service (as per a scheduled flight) because there were fewer of us. The My Travel staff were fine but they just had more people to attend to.

Like i said,i am not trying to start a debate here but also i did not expect to be accused of being pedantic in an open thread,in fact i think that it is rude.

I hope all is well with your faminly Paul and thanks for the info but i have already booked my flight,maybe it will be of use to other UK visitors to the DR.
Rob

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Let me see if I have this clear - it isn't 'rude' to point out the most miniscule of typos? And to do so twice? Yet when someone else says most of us would not be pedantic & pick up on this that is rude? I see.

Have a wonderful holiday! :cheeky:

With apologies to the long-suffering Moderator................;)

Freemo

May 26, 2003
Handbag stolen

Well unfortunately my wife has just had her handbag stolen. Welcome back to the Dominican Republic. Someone literally popped their head round the open apartment door and lifted her bag and 2 mobiles from the hall table. She had opened the door to pop out, simply returned to the lounge to get something and quick as a flash someone took their opportunity.

She was lucky in a way, her passport was not in the bag. As I say 2 mobiles went, 1 pay as you go UK phone which is no great loss, a new mobile for my daughter was more of a pain, but basically she lost, her UK bank card, a credit card and her Dominican bank card. All 3 cards were blocked before any transactions were made luckily.

What a bit of bad luck huh? Anyway it's taught her a lesson about leaving doors open. Shaken her up quite badly though. She had just started relaxing after the flight and after having done quite a bit of running around organising things.

Fingers crossed she doesn't run into any other problems.

Paul

DOMINCAN JOE

Bronze
Aug 15, 2006
Flight for 3 month,s UK to D/R

Went to Thomson A three Month Flight always been told 4 week,s MAX ???
........................... Note Flying time UK to DR 9 Hrs
.......................Bristol To Santo Domingo Air France
Flight 1
Outbound Flight on the 1/12/08
Depart 0630 Arrive 2140
:ermm: The bad new,s Duration 33:40 ??? 2 Changes ??? Could not tell me where the Changes were ?
Return Flight on the 3/3/09 2 Changes ???
Depart 1425 Arrive 1020 ??? Duration 16:20

.............................Price ?858.90 (Inc Tax )

............................................................................................................
...........................Gatwick To Santo Domingo Virgin Atlantic

Flight 2
Depart 1255 Arrive 2339 :ermm:The bad new,s Duration 55:44
1 Change Could not tell me where the Change was ?
Return Flight on the 3/3/09 2 Changes ???
Depart 0755 Arrive 1620 ??? Duration 16:20?
Depart 0907 Arrive 1628 ??? Duration 16:28?
........................Price ?671.44 (Inc Tax )
..........................................................................................................
...........Heathrow To Santo Domingo Santo Domingo Virgin Atlantic
Flight 3
Depart 1600 Arrive 0439 :ermm:The bad new,s Duration 31:59
1 Change Could not tell me where the Change was ?
Return Flight on the 3/3/09 1 Change ???
Depart 1630 Arrive 1025 ??? Duration 14:40?
.......................Price ?549.30 (Inc Tax )

To much to type finger,s tired P/S Flying on your own it is cheap to fly, work out how many miles to the D/r From the UK ? work out how many miles per Gallon a car will do! if you could drive there in a car! on your own ??????????? Saved

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
What a bit of bad luck huh? Anyway it's taught her a lesson about leaving doors open. Shaken her up quite badly though.
Paul

Gosh I am sorry. She must have got out of DR alert mode whilst in UK. Funny thing is the exact opposite happened to me: never had a handbag stolen here in DR, visit UK in 2000 for 3 weeks & my handbag got stolen in Tesco's, High Wycombe. I was out of UK alert mode after so long here. Takes a while to click back in again.

dalila05

Bronze
Aug 9, 2008
republicadominicana.bbactif.com
flown 5 times with mytravel(thomas cook airlines) this year and for a charter not too bad!
good service also on board and never been delay also!im flying next time from brussels because the price are very high this year,last year same period was half of the price!
i also last june flown from paris at 350 euro !!!!with xl airways if you add the eurostar is sometimes cheaper than london!

wishingiwasthere

Nov 19, 2005
Is it really cheeper to do that??
The cheapest flight we ever had was a ?150 each return. This was April 07!
Now - the cheepest flight we can find is ?470 each return - 1st Sept for 2 weeks.
If there is a considerable difference it may be worth a try??

dalila05

Bronze
Aug 9, 2008
republicadominicana.bbactif.com
i flown for the first time also in april 2007 and i payed one month advance 350 pounds,one week before departure the price dropped to 170 pounds
this year i found impossible to find a price like this,is probably due to the rise of the fuel etc...
but as i say brussels is a cheaper option ,sometimes the return is 298 euro ,about 250 pounds plus the eurostar it make it cheaper!