A few small questions.

Organizational

Jul 3, 2008
Hello! I have a number of questions, and was hoping someone here might be able to help.

At present, we are in the final planning stages for a fairly large-scale development project meant for the North Coast of the country. While waiting for answers from a few contacts, writing questions here seemed at least worth a shot! I was wondering:

-If someone could tell me about whether the university system in the D.R. allows for any sort of co-op programs or program involvement in aid projects, most especially relating to agronomy, medicine or architecture,
-If someone could tell me about whether any trade schools in the North Coast (or the rest of the D.R., I suppose) have any preexisting programs for "active training" through involvement in projects,
-If anyone knows of any possibilities for getting someone local to make fairly sophisticated maps of our operational area (hydrological survey, topological map, sun/wind accessibility mapping, soil sample + readout)
-What recommendations people have towards "involving the community in the project planning and implementation". Areas we plan to operate in are the 'standard' urban barrios that flood on a regular basis.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
For the last two questions especially, I suggest you contact Interm?n Oxfam and Plan International who are working on disaster preparedness in the southwest of the country (Plan) and marginal urban areas in Santo Domingo (IO). I will send you the contact details by Private Message.

Organizational

Jul 3, 2008
Thank you; I have no doubt it will prove most helpful!

I suppose I should also add that we're in the process of seeking out an anthropologist with experience in the D.R. and a fairly in-depth knowledge of the culture. If anybody knows of such a person, it could prove of great assistance, and would certainly take less time than the channels we're going through presently.