come pan

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
This evening I was offered and ate some ?come pan?. It was good, apparently boiled and served with drizzled aceite verde ( virgin olive oil). BUT what is it in english ? Don?t say the obvious - eat bread- nor - a barrio in Las Terrenas. I checked out ?breadfruit? but the vegetable/fruit was too big for Wikipedias description, the picture did not even look like it!

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Sure it wasn't 'buen pan"?

buenpan_max_resized.jpg

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
Sorry, grovel, grovel, I just checked and yes it was buen pan but I?d still like to know what its called in english. Muchas gracias.

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
Gracias, thank you, merci. danke, obrigado, gracias, tak, multumesc. Silly me!

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
We eat breadfruit fairly often prepared in a similar way that you would make mashed potatoes. It's very good that way. I would be interested in hearing about other recipes.

You know, you can prepare a breadfruit shake too :bunny: like a papaya shake or banana shake, it taste delicious.

Lapurr

Bronze
Jan 25, 2008
There are many recipe ideas on google for bread fruit, this is one of them!
Fire, BBQ, or Gas Grill
Breadfruit can also be cooked over a fire or on a BBQ or gas grill. Place a whole breadfruit, mature or ripe, on the fire or grill, turning until it is uniformly blackened and tender. Remove from heat and use the flat side of a wooden spoon or knife to tap the skin and soften the fruit. Carefully peel and add butter or coconut cream and salt to taste. Another rich, delectable dish is to take the cooked fruit from the fire, remove the stem and core, and pack the cavity with coconut cream or canned corned beef. Return to the heat for 5-10 minutes until the oil has penetrated the flesh of the fruit. Peel and enjoy.

Looks yummy, I have never tried it!!