More Parasite Talk

Beergirl

May 3, 2008
Okay, so I was recently diagnosed with entamoeba histolytica and I'm freaking out a little bit. There must be more people like me around dr1!? (I know there are... I have seen some of the other threads) Thought I would start a little "support group" here so we can discuss these types of things, share stories, and keep each other upbeat.

I know I'm not the only one with a parasite! Don't be shy...

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Amoebic dysentery, bad luck, keep taking the metronidazole (or whatever they have prescribed). You'll be over it soon as long as you take the medication for a sufficiently long period of time. Some info here:
Amoebic dysentery

The other thread you posted on is still going strong sounds like dv8 is also suffering (albeit from a different item). Maybe you can support each other?

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
And try looking on the bright side of your parasite ...........
You DON'T have to become a mathematician & work it out with a pencil!!! (Yeah ..... I know - Old joke!!! But it might give someone a smile)

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Okay, so I was recently diagnosed with entamoeba histolytica and I'm freaking out a little bit. There must be more people like me around dr1!? (I know there are... I have seen some of the other threads) Thought I would start a little "support group" here so we can discuss these types of things, share stories, and keep each other upbeat.
I know I'm not the only one with a parasite! Don't be shy...

dear beergirl, i had it twice (or was it three times?). you should feel better after taking few rounds of pills, that is in one-two days :cheeky:
look at it like this: WEIGHT LOSS. without diet and exercise. ;)
most important thing - even if you feel great take all medicine prescribed, usually it's 5 to 7 days treatment.
feel better soon!

Lapurr

Bronze
Jan 25, 2008
OK...what is entamoeba histolytica?
how do you get it?
where does it come from?
what are the damages?
who does it do?
are we talking tape worm?
sounds nasty!!

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
The things I have learned.

People are different.
1) Some people are more prone than others. I can eat something that is a bit funky and get sick, while others at the table will not.

Bad meat #1.
2) Bad meat was the biggest known cause for me. I bought a cat and let her smell my meat before eating it (cats will not eat bad meat, while dogs will eat anything) and that marked the beginning of seriously diminishing occurrences (I've had it way over 100 times)

Many doctors, many tests, no real answers.
3) There was never a 100% foolproof way of establishing the causes, nor a perfect way to avoid ever getting sick.

Fight it naturally.
4) The day I discovered the lime and/or apple cider vinegar treatment, also marked a big step forward in combating the problem.
I even maintained myself for years by having a bit, once or twice a day.

Steer clear of other people's germs.
5) I wash my hands before every meal, no matter how inconvenient that might be, even if I have to use my table water to do so. I keep my hands away from my face, particularly away from my mouth.

Control your intake.
6) My "shytty" life did not stop altogether, until I got full control of my food sources. I rarely eat out and when I do, only in a place in which I have 100% confidence.

Smell your food.
7) I learned to smell my food before eating it. If something gives me even the slightest hint of maybe being "off", I will not eat it.

Don't delay.
8) At the slightest hint of a gurgle from my stomach, I'll get onto the lime or apple cider vinegar treatment. If it progresses, then the Immodium. If I get feverish, then Ciprobiotic 500, 3 times daily.
Full recovery is double the amount of time you are sick, so don't delay.

Sanation

May 21, 2007
I was diagnosed with Amoebic Dysentery this week, so I can empathise!!! I've just finished the plethora of medication that the hospital prescribed and am feeling much better. :knockedou

Keep hydrated, take electrolytes if available (check with your Farmacia), or drink Gatorade to replenish body salts.

I'm pedantic about food and personal hygiene, so I guess I was just unlucky. On the personal hygiene topic, get a little bottle of the antibacterial hand gel (most supermarkets stock it). I always carry some in my handbag and use it when we are out and about.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i don't really take precautions and maybe this is the reason i used to get sick so often. it's getting better now, my first encounter with longanisa made me sick for a week, second time - 3 days and third time - only 1 day being sick :cheeky:
i get de-parasited thou, just like my cat (btw, he will only eat the best steak and will never touch any other meat) few times a year.
believe me, it gets better in time as you get aclimatized in DR....

Beergirl

May 3, 2008
Meds/ Treatment

I religously wash my hands before and during food preparation and also ALWAYS after going to the bathroom and sometimes before as well. I wouldn't say that I'm OCD about it, but I'm not far off. I used to carry purell but I haven't had it in awhile because I travel carry-on back and forth from PR to DR and the no liquid rules are pretty strict.

Anyway... my doctor prescribed a 10-day treatment of metronidazole, but I thought (both from other posts here and other things I've read) that you are supposed to take 2 drugs simultaneously to get rid of these buggers. I went to 2 doctors and neither of them mentioned the second one though. Anyone have any experience with this? I'm really really really scared of these little things that I have eating away at my intestine and I want to make sure these pills get every last one!!! How do you know how long you've had it for anyway?

I'm already feeling better physically (except now I think I'm getting migraines as a side effect from the treatment), but mentally as another issue!

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Did you read the link I posted at post 2, Beergirl? Metronidazole is the treatment. I don't know what the 'second drug' is - never heard of that. The only people who can tell you how long you've had it for are the lab. who analysed the stool sample. Ten days is the usual treatment time but...........it wasn't long enough for me, so the darn thing came back (I had giardia). That's why the second time I took the metronidazole for a month. A trifle OTT but I DID kill it that way. Wait 4/5 days after finishing course of metronidazole then go back to lab. with another stool sample. It is the only way of knowing if you're clear or not.