Condos as investments via tourist rentals?

paladino

Jan 4, 2007
I would really appreciate any input from investors who specifically bought condo's or homes and are now renting them out via management companies. Are there any DR1 participants who have been thru this experience?

Any area would be nice to know but of course I am most interested in tourist areas.

Thanks
Pal

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
I would really appreciate any input from investors who specifically bought condo's or homes and are now renting them out via management companies. Are there any DR1 participants who have been thru this experience?

Any area would be nice to know but of course I am most interested in tourist areas.

Thanks
Pal

I am not RE investor but for your info - I know alot of people from different countries who often visit DR and always need rental appartment or small free standing villas. So, demand for rental property seems to be strong and growing. I am talking about Sosua, to lesser degree - Boca Chica. Right now I have three ready family looking for appartments/houses to rent for four weeks - six months. All - from Europe.

giallo

Nov 17, 2006
I Have Bought A Couple Of Apt In Juan Dolio As Investments From Metro And Have Done Very Well. And I Am Planning On Continuing My Investments In Juan Dolio

paladino

Jan 4, 2007
Thanks to those who posted. I will be down to the Boca Chica area in October. I expect to do a little looking around and talking to someone in that area.

ace

Apr 11, 2004
I am not RE investor but for your info - I know alot of people from different countries who often visit DR and always need rental appartment or small free standing villas. So, demand for rental property seems to be strong and growing. I am talking about Sosua, to lesser degree - Boca Chica. Right now I have three ready family looking for appartments/houses to rent for four weeks - six months. All - from Europe.
Sosua : Dominican Republic Rentals : Condo For Rent

KeithF

Jul 9, 2006
www.cabarete.org
I bought a three bedroom apartment in Cabarete as an investment. I rent it out either via my manager in Cabarete, my web site and I advertise on DR1.
Royal Residence Cabarete

As a distant owner it is always going to be more difficult than living there, especially as you have to trust 'someone' and of course, pay people to handle rentals for you. Living there, you can manage your own property so have a greater chance of being successful.

I purchased the property instead of a pension scheme. There are two key elements to this. Firstly, the money that it is costing me is what I would be paying in to a pension scheme anyway, so I am not relying upon the rental income to cover the costs. Obviously, I would *like* to break even or make a profit but I don't *need* to do so.

Secondly, it's a long term investment which I hope will grow in value substantially.

If you are relying on the rent to cover the cost, expect to get a stomach ulcer pretty quickly! I hope that I will start to cover costs in another two years time at the earliest.

giallo

Nov 17, 2006
I know that the rental plan that you run is very good,but the apt that i own is for sale

abarker

Aug 30, 2008
1st time posting at a forum

I am sure of all the etiquette involved in posting, but I do have a Question that hopefully someone out there may be able to help with. I bought fractions of hotel condos in Cofresi and Juan Dolio. I was given "Trust Certificates" as evidence of my ownership interests. Is there a governmental agency that I can go to in the D.R. to verify the authenticity of the Trust Certificates. At the time, I just Trusted the people who directed me to this investment, and now there is some evidence that the investment is much much riskier (and possibly shady) than I was led to believe. I have been to the hotel condo units in Cofresi (Maxim Bungalows) and they are beautiful, but the Juan Dolio project has been put on hold...we were led to believe it was going to open early 2007. I just want to do everything I can to protect my investment. I heard something about the "Registrar of Titles". Is that where I go? I will probably go to the DR late Sept. So, if anyone has info about where I can go to verify the authenticity of my certificates, I would really appreciate it.

AnonTraveler

Aug 6, 2008

AnonTraveler

Aug 6, 2008
Rental Property Investments

Thanks
Pal

In Sosua, call Richard at Amber Guardian (Realty Sosua Realtors Real estate Cabarete Villa Condo Rental Dominican Republic). That company manages a large number of condos and a few villas.

In Cabrera, call North Coast Management (Dominican Republic Villa Rentals, Luxury Dominican Villa Rentals and Vacation Rentals by Owner in the Dominican Republic). They manage and rent a large number of the best villas in the country.

Probably those two can point you to investors who have some experience.

abarker

Aug 30, 2008
Thanks for the info. Have you...or anyone else out there used Mr. Ariza or Mr. Hache, and know them to be not only good at what they do, but are they honest and fair? I have heard a few horror stories of attorneys in the DR.

susan77

Jan 19, 2008
Have you...or anyone else out there used Mr. Ariza or Mr. Hache, and know them to be not only good at what they do, but are they honest and fair?

We retained Sr. Cesar Calderon with Guzman Ariza to purchase our house in Las Terrenas and can HIGHLY recommend him and his firm!
He was helpful, prompt, knowledgable, and a real professional.
I also believe his fees were very reasonable.

Thanks for the info. Have you...or anyone else out there used Mr. Ariza or Mr. Hache, and know them to be not only good at what they do, but are they honest and fair? I have heard a few horror stories of attorneys in the DR.

Should have used an attorney before you just laid out money into an investment property that wasn't even built yet? Your worried about it 2 years later?

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
Raymundo Hache and Julio Brea (Guzman Ariza) are two of the most honest and professional attorneys I've met in the Dominican Republic. You would do very well to rely upon them.

I've also used Jeanette Garcia, who is very good. She used to work at Guzman Ariza where I met her but she has since gone 'solo.' She is a legal translator as well so this comes in handy.

Any of these lawyers I highly recommend!

AnonTraveler

Aug 6, 2008
Can you PM me the contact information for the Hache attorney? I know Jeanette Garcia and she is very good...and remarkably pretty!

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I've also used Jeanette Garcia, who is very good. She used to work at Guzman Ariza where I met her but she has since gone 'solo.' She is a legal translator as well so this comes in handy.

Any of these lawyers I highly recommend!

Is that the same Jeanette Garcia who was at one time attached to the British Embassy in SD? If yes, I'll PM you for her contact details. It's always nice to catch up on old aquaintances.

I am sure of all the etiquette involved in posting, but I do have a Question that hopefully someone out there may be able to help with. I bought fractions of hotel condos in Cofresi and Juan Dolio. I was given "Trust Certificates" as evidence of my ownership interests. Is there a governmental agency that I can go to in the D.R. to verify the authenticity of the Trust Certificates. At the time, I just Trusted the people who directed me to this investment, and now there is some evidence that the investment is much much riskier (and possibly shady) than I was led to believe. I have been to the hotel condo units in Cofresi (Maxim Bungalows) and they are beautiful, but the Juan Dolio project has been put on hold...we were led to believe it was going to open early 2007. I just want to do everything I can to protect my investment. I heard something about the "Registrar of Titles". Is that where I go? I will probably go to the DR late Sept. So, if anyone has info about where I can go to verify the authenticity of my certificates, I would really appreciate it.

Trust certificates in a bananacountry??????
You trust that?
In Maxims Bungalows, they are constructing NOTHING, already for long time.
WHY NOT???????

Last edited:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Is that the same Jeanette Garcia who was at one time attached to the British Embassy in SD? If yes, I'll PM you for her contact details. It's always nice to catch up on old aquaintances.
I agree, it will be fun to reminisce about old times, old friends!