new car warranty question

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
We just bought a new Toyota Rav4 at Ochoa in Santiago. They tell us that in order to keep the warranty in effect we need to have all of our service, including oil changes, done by them.

That is not the case in the US. The warranty is from Toyota, not the dealer, so why should that be the case in the DR?

We live in Sosua, so it seems crazy to drive to Santiago for an oil change. Please enlighten me.

Thanks - D

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I would suspect that they demand that, as there are so many fly by night mechanics and lousy quality oil products, that they cannot take the risk of you changing your oil at the local shop, around the corner from your house.
I can see how this could be inconvenient and expensive for you, but it's a whole new world for the DR to give guarantees.
When I bought my first new truck here, some odd 15 years ago, there was no guarantee.
None, nada, zip, zero.
When they started to give new car guarantees, they were generally lesser than abroad.
What is your Toyota guarantee?
How many miles, how many years?

dms3611

Bronze
Jan 14, 2002
Rocky is right....if you want your Toyota warranty on your new vehicle

....you will be taking it to Delta in STI. They do a great job actually. Don't over charge for services on our "jeeps". Once your two years are up then do whatever you want with your car...but our experience is "do what you need to do" to stay in warranty as long as you can here in the DR".

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
We just bought a new Toyota Rav4 at Ochoa in Santiago. They tell us that in order to keep the warranty in effect we need to have all of our service, including oil changes, done by them.

That is not the case in the US. The warranty is from Toyota, not the dealer, so why should that be the case in the DR?

We live in Sosua, so it seems crazy to drive to Santiago for an oil change. Please enlighten me.

Thanks - D

First, forget about the USA here, this is the DR, even if you'd happen to be an American tax paying citizen and have bought a US brand vehicle at the local "official" dealership, like SD Motors, this is still 100% the DR. And this does not only apply to vehicles.

The deal is, that here, I doubt that it really is Toyota that assumes the risk of warranty. I suspect it may indeed be the dealer (they might have a deal for big issues... I don't know). They import vehicles (even same model) from sources all around the world, like Japan, Argentina, Brazil (parts) and Thailand.
Ochoa is NOT listed as an official dealer. They are a large importer. Delta Comercial does appear on some Toyota records but not as an A-Dealer... only as an importer. So, if they assume the risk (built into the sale price) I would understand that they would a) like to see the business from the servicing, and b) not have to repair or replace parts when they can not be sure the vehicle has been serviced correctly when all the customer can produce is some kind of shady receipt from his cousin's tune'n'lube outfit.
At Ochoa and Delta, vehicles get scanned in (they have a bar code sticker) so THEY can keep up the records of maintenance.

Some small dealers in SD and STI now offer Toyota and other main Japan brand vehicles with warranties like the "big ones". If you consider dealing with them (as they tend to offer exotic versions), make very certain these dealers are NOT the ones giving the warranty and when they want to make you believe if it (for the sake of the Toyota example) is Delta Comercial SxA which assumes the risk and thus would do all servicing, HAVE THE VEHICLE CHECKED (scanned in) BY DELTA IN YOUR PRESENCE AND GIVE YOU WRITTEN CONFIRMATION THAT THEY INDEED HONOR THE WARRANTY TO YOU THE END USER B E F O R E YOU ENTER CONTRACT OR HAND OVER ANY MONIES! And then make sure the vehicle you are buying really is the one Toyota has certified you warranty coverage for! Everything else is BS. The same applies when you buy a used vehicle which may still have "manufacturers" (dealer) warranty... have it checked and scanned in by the main dealer (this may give a better idea on the actual mileage too).

I might add, that I have been very satisfied with Delta's service and warranty coverage (which is the biggest on in the country at 3 years/100'000 km). Reason why my replacement vehicle I bought yesterday, was a Toyota from Delta.

... J-D.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I've had good luck with Delta too.
Good service and good prices.
It's a long way to go, but for the sake of that guarantee, it's worth it.
If I remember correctly, Delta has the exclusivity on importing new Toyotas in the DR and is owned by Peynado, a former DR vice President.
If a new Toyota comes in here through another channel, Delta would certainly not honour it's guarantee.

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
Actually I'm in NY and my wife has the guarantee in Sosua, but I seem to remember it being the 3 year 100,000 km as well.

Is there a connection between Ochoa and Delta? We went to Delta first because I read that they were the importer, and there was no showroom and they had no cars to look at. As we were leaving, we saw Ochoa across the street, and they had hundreds of cars, including about 15 Rav4s. It was as if Ochoa was the retail arm of Delta.

At any rate, I guess we'll be changing our oil at Ochoa.

gringosabroso

Oct 16, 2004
SSangYong! CarFull Dealer! Same policies!

I just purchased a new [2007] SsangYong Actyon.
After paying for the car, I went to pick it up. I was then informed that I had a 2 year warranty with the car, but . . . I had to have all oil changes during the warranty period done @ the dealer who had sold me the car.
* The dealer? AutoFull, Autopiste, Santiago [almost opposite the HOMS hospital]. Also, I received no written warranty, nor anything in writing?
* Is this normal new vehicle auto sales procedure in the DR?
* I live in Puerto Plata; it is a minor nuisance to drive to Santiago for an oil change. 1st 1,500 K; then every 5,000 K for 2 years.
* Is this justified? Legally? Morally?
* Does it make any difference if it's justified? In the DR?
Thank you.