Playa Dorada Cinema Movie Times?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike.n.amy

Jun 4, 2007
Hi everyone. Well, no matter how many times I listen to the recorded message for Playa Dorada movie times (809-320-1400) I can't make out the movie times for Wall-E this weekend.

Haven't actually been to the theater yet since living in the DR (6 months now) but wanting to try it out in hopes that The Dark Knight will eventually play here. Figured Wall-E would be a good one to test it with. :)

So.....would anyone be kind enough to check and post movie times on the forum? Perhaps someone with a better ear for understanding lightning fast spoken Spanish on a recording that's been recorded over who knows how many times? :)

Thanks in advance!

~Summer Movie Buff going through withdrawal~ :)

mike.n.amy

Jun 4, 2007
Only in the DR

Thanks, Lambada! I've bookmarked that link, but only in the DR would they have movie times for the PREVIOUS week in the paper and online. LOL

Guess they don't do matinees here?

Well, my summer movie watching may be hampered (though I don't miss the $9 and up ticket prices back in the US). :)

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
The paper was up to date - it was Friday of last week's paper. There wasn't an ad. in Tuesday's paper & I don't have yesterday's paper where there will be an up to date ad. The progs change every Thursday I think. If you have a copy of yesterday's print version of El Faro you'll find an ad. with the times in there.

As for the online listing.............:cheeky: it's actually 2 weeks out of date because the films have changed twice since then....................;)

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
Adscene free shopper @ Playero & other places around the northcoast lists the movies each week.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
They have an office in Sosua but I don't know about Cabarete (I live in Puerto Plata). Newspapers are generally sold in farmacias & supermarkets. Sometimes even in bookstores :cheeky:.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
they also had a website but it has been dead for a while now which makes me think the cinema is gone as well...

london777

Bronze
Dec 22, 2005
... no matter how many times I listen to the recorded message for Playa Dorada movie times (809-320-1400) I can't make out the movie times
Apparently they are notorious. I asked one Dominican friend to interpret for me but she could understand nothing. The second I asked said it would be a waste of a phone call as no-one can ever understand them! That was a year ago. You would think that even in the DR they would have fixed it by now.

Haven't actually been to the theater yet since living in the DR ... but wanting to try it out.
Be prepared for a culture shock. I think I went there during a local motoconchistas' social outing. About twenty guys with their female companions came in after the movie started, talked, shouted, sang (it wasn't a musical), threw food about, constantly changed seats, etc. Of course I would have left after three minutes of this but my young Dominican guest wanted to stay and watch the movie and did not seem to think there was anything particularly unusual or disconcerting about the environment. Add to that minimal or no air-conditioning and a floor awash with rubbish.

This was in a cinema within an AI. The mind boggles at what cinemas in local areas must be like.

Enjoy the movie! :cheeky:

Charlielyn

Bronze
Jul 31, 2005
The movie theatre at Playa Dorada is the only one in the whole area. The old one in POP closed down a long time ago. Usually it is freezing inside.

mike.n.amy

Jun 4, 2007
Thanks for the info, everybody! Especially good to know about the "environment" of the theater you experienced, london777. Nothing more annoying than trying to watch a movie with loud folks/distractions. :)

If and when we make it out there we'll have to post how it went (good or bad).
Thanks again!

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
For the record, the movie theater at Plaza Internacional in Santiago (only about an hour's drive from POP) is comparable to theaters in the US. Tickets are 150 pesos, snacks and sodas are reasonable, and the patrons don't act like they've never been to a theater before. I think there are 6 screens. They even validate your parking ;) There are two other major cineplexes in Santiago as well, Hollywood and Colinas Mall, I assume they are similar.

Status
Not open for further replies.