Legal framework on development project

Organizational

Jul 3, 2008
(This was originally written as an e-mail to Mr. Fabio Guzman, but I am curious of the range of opinions I may receive on the idea through posting it here.)

I am presently in the late planning stages of a fairly large-scale development project for the North Coast of the Dominican Republic, the purpose of which is to, alongside helping the community develop itself along locally-defined lines, to set into motion a new, heavily community-inclusive approach to development that brings with it the possibility for a positive "domino effect".

Now, one of the most important questions at this stage of the project is "who is going to own the land". While many ideas have already been put forth - the government, the Church, or a non-profit organization - in my own opinion, if we are planning to build a structure that is communal (such as a modular community centre), I feel it would be in the best interest of all involved were the land to become the "property of the community", most especially since one of the most important aspects of the project is gaining the involvement and interest of the community members. I believe that one of the best methodologies would thus be to "incorporate the community", giving it the legal framework of a corporation, the hierarchical framework of a cooperative, and providing "shares" to all community members. These shares would allow community members "free" access to the self-produced social infrastructure mechanisms (preventing a general taking-advantage-of-the-system), would ensure that all members have a vested interest in the upkeep of the existing systems, and would allow for the formation of a system of accountable local self-governance for the by-that-point sufficiently self-sustaining, self-led and less impoverished barrio.

I can provide you with whatever details you require regarding the project at your request, but at this point I did not want to inundate you with minutiae. To start with, I was hoping you could tell me whether, legally, this system would work in the D.R, as well as how effective you think it would be and, of course, the most efficient way to set up such a system.

Thank you in advance.