Best "sastres" (tailors) for men. Best men's clothing stores in DR.

Robee

Dec 2, 2005
I think dominican executives, musicians and politicians are some of the best dressed men in the caribbean. What are the best men's clothing stores in the DR? How about tailors ("sastres") for custom made men's shirts and suits?

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
Hmmm... I don't yet know it all about Santo Domingo or Santiago, but I must repeat my dismay in finding only so few people of trade doing things when comparing to what I found along trade streets of most any major city of Ecuador... shoemakers, tailors, furniture makers, mechanics, etc.

Yes, there are a few tailors, but judging by the conditions of most of their outfits, they don't seem to do all to well, so maybe they're not top notch either.
"Fine" Dominicans seem to to prefer to dress at Florida's and NYC's discount malls, like TJMax, Sawgrass Mills, SIMS and so forth and some of the more exclusively "Latin traditional" dressers in Panama or from stores supplied from there. I have seen small luxury men's (insider) boutiques in Santo Domingo where one can find a quite surprising display of high end Guayaberas... some in the 6000 Peso + range(!). I suspect many may be imported from Panama, but that's just my suspicion. But I would think that some of these boutiques may be set up to take measurements and have them sent to a suitable tailor, maybe even outside of the country.

As I said many times, "we" (in the DR) are producing too little for the local market... obviously, the governments are failing dearly at providing incentives for that to happen and the delicate energy situation would also have to be fixed together with education and professional formation.
Thus "we" import too much, of which a great part could safely be manufactured locally, making the US Dollar our biggest export good.
But that wasn't your question, now was it... ;) So, I rest my case.

... J-D.

chola1978

Bronze
Mar 20, 2006
hey we have very good artesanos de la costuras, Arcadio Diaz, Hipolito Pena..among a few..
I cna speak for Arcadio since...family we are one of the fisnet makes of Guyaberas for men in the country.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
There is a Hugo Boss store on Lincoln a few blocks upfrom Augusto Sanchez towards JFK. I bougfht avery nice suit there in Oct that was 40% off od the $2000usd sticker price

Bryanell

Bronze
Aug 9, 2005
Don't know if this business is still going but........

I think dominican executives, musicians and politicians are some of the best dressed men in the caribbean. What are the best men's clothing stores in the DR? How about tailors ("sastres") for custom made men's shirts and suits?

This was highly recommended a couple of years ago, the store is still there...

Name: La Coruna
Reason why?:
Don Santiago will make you the best suit in the country with the best fabrics from England or Italy. His suits will stand up anywhere in the world in front of the very best.

Regards

jayde217

Jan 25, 2009
t-shirts and jeans

Can anyone tell me where can i get good quality jeans and t-shirts in Santo Domingo or anywhere on the island?. what prices can i expect to find for each?

donmobay

Say what ! ???
Dec 10, 2005
shopping

i got a 300$us suit the other day for under ten bucks. but thats just luck. i have shopped for one before and always out of stock when i get there. only problem is it is in the laundry. not ready. this was at the flea mkt. i was laughing at some of the beautiful things available for 2-3 $. if you want a good hand made suit you might try the capital of haiti.. port au prince...