Citizenship through Marriage

sherri

Jan 25, 2006
I am a Canadian living in D.R now for almost a year. My husband is Dominican. We are in the process (only recently) to obtain his P.R for Canada. However, I am interested to know more about obtaining my citizenship here. I know that you can skip the residency process all together and go directly for the citizenship since im a woman married to a Dominican Man.

1.) How do I being the process?
2.) What will I need to do this?
3.) Cost? In Dominican Pesos.
4.) Can this be done since im in the process of my husbands P.R?

I need as much details as possible. I can not find much on this in the forum or on the internet.

Thanks so much for any responses! :)

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
I am a Canadian living in D.R now for almost a year. My husband is Dominican. We are in the process (only recently) to obtain his P.R for Canada. However, I am interested to know more about obtaining my citizenship here. I know that you can skip the residency process all together and go directly for the citizenship since im a woman married to a Dominican Man.

1.) How do I being the process?
2.) What will I need to do this?
3.) Cost? In Dominican Pesos.
4.) Can this be done since im in the process of my husbands P.R?

I need as much details as possible. I can not find much on this in the forum or on the internet.

Thanks so much for any responses! :)

1= Get a good recommended lawyer in the DR, one that can speak English as a second language if possible.

2= Your papers like BC, Passport, Marriage Certificate, etc... And his as well...

3= It all depends on the fees the lawyer will charge as the fees for the actual gov side of the papers is set.

4= Can be done at any given time you so elect to do so... There's a small time lapse between the actual marriage and the time to request the citizenship, but it's legally negligible...

The #1 step is the most important and most advisable to any person seeking this kind of paperwork done in the DR. I believe you can get good solid leads about reputable English speaking lawyers here in DR1 from expat members with ease!

sherri

Jan 25, 2006
Thanks for the response..Is there anyone who has been through the process who can provide some details.

Thanks so much!