Problems with trip to Barahona

bbatt

Aug 4, 2008
I just found this site. Lots of helpful info here :) Thanks!

Hopefully, someone has some advice...

I have a group of 6 college students coming to Barahona on August 14. We are working with PLAN International and we will be educating locals on how to better run their businesses and manage their finances.

The problem we are having is booking a hotel. I can communicate in spanish, but I am not yet fluent. We have made repeated attempts to book rooms at Hotel Costa Larimar, but they either dont reply, or they just respond with their price sheet.

The people we are working about at PLAN tell us not to worry, and that we'll have a place to stay, but obviously it'd be nice to know we have a confirmed reservation.

Any hints or tips on what we should do?

Also, whats the best way to get a group of 6 from the airport in Santo Domingo to Barahona.

Thanks for all your help, in advance!

RGVgal

Bronze
May 26, 2008
I stayed there last yr and I was happy with the hotel.
Here is the Number 809-524-5111 you can try calling them and check on your reservations.

Feb 15, 2005
My suggestion is to book in Maria Montez Hotel right in the heart of town and economical and very very clean. Tell the owner Dona (that's a salutation) Gladys that Richie sent you from New York sent you.

Arrica

Jun 3, 2006
Hotels in Barahona

Two hotels that are clean and both located in the dead centre of town.

Hotel Ana Isabel: tel: 809-524-4117 or 809-524-5422; Prices are DP 754 single, DP 970 double -clean and friendly, some rooms with aircon, some with ceiling fans - depends

Another, more basic but equally friendly staffed:

Hotel Cacique: tel: 809-524-4620; prices are DP 350 room with fan, DP 650 with airconditioning;

To get from Santo Domingo, Las Americas airport; since you are a group it is worthwhile taking a taxi from the 'taxi-mafia' right outside the exit doors of the airport. Have it bringing you to Caribe tours. Express Buses, three-four times a day to Barahona, approx. 3 hours travel-time, price approx. DP 300. Other bus companies also exist, departing from around Avenida Duarte and Ave. 27 de Noviembre. Ask the taxi-driver for the direction.

cheers

Last edited:

sollie

Jul 30, 2006
"we will be educating locals on how to better run their businesses "

My suggestion would be to focus your efforts on the Hotel Costa Larimar. Sounds like they have a lot to learn. : )