Wish me luck, making naan bread.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Folks, I was just dying to eat some tandoori naan bread but feel so far away from atlanta or new york where some good indian restaurants are located. So I turned to youtube to see what the indian chefs are saying about making naan bread in home oven. Now after some extensive research, I have come up with a basic recipe and have made the dough according to my visual measurements and taste. This is the first time I am making any bread in my life, so I am expecting a disaster. I would have to do several trials and errors to get my recipe perfect. if this works, then I am in business.My friends will be proud of me. DMS3611 and Arild, you guys will worship me after you eat this.
AZB

here is a sample picture from the net.

1430043233_45d186151f.jpg

if mine come out half decent, I will post pictures.
wish me luck guys.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I went to grocery store and bought some dry yeast, brown in color, tiny round grains, called Levadura. Is that it? Is yeast called levadura in DR?
I also added some baking powder, yogurt and heavy cream. Oh an egg too. hahahaha, sounds like a mess but lets see.
AZB

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I did add a tb spoon of sugar but forgot to add a tb spoon of oil. oh well, its my first attempt.
AZB

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
I went to grocery store and bought some dry yeast, brown in color, tiny round grains, called Levadura. Is that it? Is yeast called levadura in DR?
I also added some baking powder, yogurt and heavy cream. Oh an egg too. hahahaha, sounds like a mess but lets see.
AZB

Yes Yeast is "Levadura" not only in the DR but in every Spanish speaking country.

RGVgal

Bronze
May 26, 2008
I love naan bread and Indian food. Good luck with your recipe.

I saw the other day at my local supermarket that they were selling naan bread in a package right next to the pita. I wonder if it's any good...probably NOT!

Lapurr

Bronze
Jan 25, 2008
:ermm: i normally add 1/4 cup sugar-you dont need oil-you can but it's not a"you have to have it"

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
Hey AZB let me know if you need some spices or ingredients for your Pakistani food from NYC, I can bring it down for you.

Sep 19, 2005
what!!!!! no disclaimer telling the dr 1 women to not even bother opening up this informative thread, because they couldnt POSSIBLY , learn anything about cooking!! ha ha ha

how about if some gringo decides for a moment that he has come up with a great idea.

how about if he goes down to the DR where there are millions of hot horny lustfull dominicans and get a future wife.... and he can explain how he JUST knows she is a great girl....

ok forget all that.......

how was the bread???

if you want to loose weight , arent you supposed to lay off the bread????

go back to the kitchen and come up with a delicous salad..ok I am waiting

PS did you hire POTATO SALAD to take the photo???

bad bad bob

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
LOL BOB., as always, you are in good mood.
Thanks all for the moral support. I am cooking spinach with potatoes in creamy sauce, indian restaurant style to eat it with the naan bread. This is all an experiment so i am worried about the bread. I don't even know how to roll it and make it unsticky and flat. I will use lots of flour to make it manageable. I should have the pictures up soon.
AZB

Lapurr

Bronze
Jan 25, 2008
roll it tennis ball size -knead it with your knuckles-on a lightly floured surface-usually the cookie sheet you bake it in!!
LOL AZB you are funny!! good luck!!

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
LOL BOB., as always, you are in good mood.
Thanks all for the moral support. I am cooking spinach with potatoes in creamy sauce, indian restaurant style to eat it with the naan bread. This is all an experiment so i am worried about the bread. I don't even know how to roll it and make it unsticky and flat. I will use lots of flour to make it manageable. I should have the pictures up soon.
AZB

adding too much flour will make it hard as a baseball

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
I love this kind of bread. I saw women using rollers to spread the dough out into proper shape before they bake it. And it did take quite a bit of time and work. I guess you have to have time and patience to do it. Please post recipe you used and pictures of results. Maybe one day I will become brave enough to try it out.

Lapurr

Bronze
Jan 25, 2008
In my Country we have something very similar-minus the yogurt!! Guess there's an awesome restaurant in Queens -we call it lepinja!!

dvh4w9.jpg

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
:( :( :(
I am depressed guys. My first prototype came out like a cardboard. The bread still looks uncooked from the top yet its burnt from the bottom. Seems like my oven is not hot enough for this type of bread to cook.The tandoor is over 800 degrees F and the oven should be at least 450 degrees F. Mine is not as hot, its a local brand oven. :(
or maybe I did a small screw up. I added more flour to the dough because it was too sticky. Then immediately I baked the bread. Could it be, why it came out like a wheat cookie because the flour is not raised with yeast yet?
AZB

Lapurr

Bronze
Jan 25, 2008
Was your first try!! dont be sad, I was looking at reciepes and all of them are different!! i was like:ermm:

try this method, might work for you considering you dont have a convection oven!

Sift the flour, baking powder and salt and make a well in the centre. Warm the milk to blood temperature and mix half of it with the yeast and let it bubble and proof. Beat the egg with the oil and yoghurt. Dump the egg/yoghurt mix and the milk/yeast mix into the flour and stir until it forms a dough. If the dough is dry, add more milk and knead until it is silky and smooth (about 5 minutes). Put it into an oiled bowl, cover it with a damp cloth and leave it in a warm place until it doubles in size. The original recipe said that this would take several hours but - this being Australia - mine was ready in about an hour (we are having a warm day, so your mileage may vary). When it?s ready, punch it down, give it a quick knead and divvy it up into 10 portions.

Now we cook!! This is where I go completely away from every other recipe I?ve seen. Most non-tandoor recipes will tell you to get your oven very hot, and heat up one tray on the top shelf only, putting the naan directly onto a hot sheet and baking it for about 7 mintues before flipping it for another 5. My way is MUCH easier.

Heat a frying pan (a lid is preferable but not required) over a low-medium heat. Roll out your dough with plenty of flour until it is very thin (almost like a pancake) and put it directly into the warm, unoiled frying pan. Cover and cook for a few minutes at a low heat. Check to see that it isn?t burning. The dough should have bubbles appearing in the top and the bottom should have deep golden spots across it. Slide it around the pan so it cooks evenly. When ready, flip it over and let the top cook until it, too, has deep golden spots. You should aim for a dark gold to deep toast colour. Try not to let it get black. Keeping a lid on the pan will make the dough puff a little more but don?t stress over it - this is a flatbread after all.

When it?s done, flip it out and start again. If you want, brush the naan with ghee or oil.

TOP TIP: For garlic naan, flavour the brushing oil rather than the dough - the flavour is better and you won?t get the bitter flavour of burned garlic when you cook.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Did you do a (forgive me) second rising? Did you cook both sides in the oven i.e. turn it over & do other side for a couple of mins? And perhaps most importantly in the DR did you check the 'expire by' date on the yeast. You see they sell old yeast here (I learned the hard way 15 years ago when I first started making bread here). You can also use the grill to cook it, although this often means getting down on one's hands & knees..............