KM 100 Auto....

paradise07

Jan 6, 2007
Just wondering if anyone knows anything about this care dealership....They have an office in Santo Domingo and also in Santiago.....They claim to specialize in recent used cars (approx 24 months use). Most are 2005 or 2006.

I am interested in a small VW Fox, for 245000...with they "claim" approx 60 000kms on it.....Does this sound right...Any experience with this specific company ?

THANKS !!!

joel spencer

Dec 29, 2003
You must use CarFax to buy any car in the DR. Odometers are always changed, damages hidden, and a service like carfax is a must. Then you can shop anywhere

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
Although I have seen that "dealership" Santo Domingo I am sorry to say that I don't have any first hand experience with them here in the DR.

However, Km100 is a Spanish franchiser. I had met them for development questions when they started quite aggressively marketing their franchising system in Spain about 5 to 6 yeas back.
Concept: As the lease market in Spain had expanded and turned into it's second generation of success, "almost new" vehicles started to crowd all sorts of auctioning venues around Spain, so companies started to buy these vehicles for re-sale wholesale... just like in the States. KM100 expanded that concept and built up a net work thru which customers could almost "order" common vehicles in most all colors and versions... they will just swap them around the net work.

Obviously all of the above "concept" can NOT apply to KM100 in Santo Domingo even IF it is a legitimate KM100 outpost or franchisee, as there is NO lease market in the DR yet and most "almost new" vehicles are imports.

Red Km100

A word about the questionable advantages and culprits of buying "almost new" vehicles in the DR (form my recent experience):

A year and a half ago, I bought an "almost new" vehicle (which had been sold thru the local "official" dealership when new). I got a good deal, and the "official" dealership honored the warranty they had initially given on the vehicle. However, when you buy a used vehicle in the DR, you have to go thru contracting, authenticating these contracts, police checks, buying seals and signatures at all sorts of offices, apply for a new registration (which doubles as title) and besides all theses steps adding to some costs, PAY a transfer TAX. That tax is taxed on top of it and on an "almost new" vehicle this can add up to an amount where you may want to consider buying NEW at an "official dealership". You my surprise yourself by finding out, that if you can manage to talk to corporate sales (short cut the first wave of salesmen BS) and negotiate wisely, you could buy NEW for almost the same price... no more questions about the history of the vehicle and any warranties.

... J-D.

paradise07

Jan 6, 2007
Thank you kindly for the responses and the advice....However, I need a car for my small business here in Punta Cana...It's just getting started now, so I am not ready to make a 15K investment. As well, I am only ready to put about 25% and require financing for the balance. My budget is approx 8-9K. That's why I was looking for something small, like a VW Fox or Skoda Fabia...

It is impossible to find a decent used car here even if I do the Carfax, the private inspection and all that stuff....

Feeling a little discouraged !!!!!

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
Thank you kindly for the responses and the advice....However, I need a car for my small business here in Punta Cana...It's just getting started now, so I am not ready to make a 15K investment. As well, I am only ready to put about 25% and require financing for the balance. My budget is approx 8-9K. That's why I was looking for something small, like a VW Fox or Skoda Fabia...

It is impossible to find a decent used car here even if I do the Carfax, the private inspection and all that stuff....

Feeling a little discouraged !!!!!

If you are looking to finance a vehicle, it may be a good idea to visit one of the larger "feria del automovil", as banks tend to offer special conditions at these events and you may save on the interest. Currently, car loans from major banks seem to have risen to a 13 to 20-some percents range, from what I read recently.

... J-D.

The Virginian

Bronze
Mar 16, 2007
My take on buying a car here is, contact Rocky, he knows the right people. Use autocheck, carfax would not allow me to sign up because of my domain name. Suppose you could use someone in the states or elsewhere to sign up for carfax and use it through them. BUT USE SOME CHECKING APPLICATION BEFORE YOU PURCHASE A CAR. I've always used Batista in Moca. They have good used cars, always been fair and honest with me. Good luck. Phil