Lynchings???

suzannel

Jun 7, 2006
Hi everyone,
I am somewhat surprised that not one person has picked-up on the articles concerning the increase in lynchings going on these days.

I remember many comments from frequent users hoping that the criminals involved in incidents reported on this forum were wishing that the bad guys would be dealt with swiftly. It seems that this is what is happening more and more frequently and nobody is commenting about it.

Personnally I find frightening the fact that people are taking the law in their own hands!!! When considering the number of personal firearms in the country it becomes even more scarry.

What do you think????

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Hi everyone,
I am somewhat surprised that not one person has picked-up on the articles concerning the increase in lynchings going on these days.

I remember many comments from frequent users hoping that the criminals involved in incidents reported on this forum were wishing that the bad guys would be dealt with swiftly. It seems that this is what is happening more and more frequently and nobody is commenting about it.

Personnally I find frightening the fact that people are taking the law in their own hands!!! When considering the number of personal firearms in the country it becomes even more scarry.

What do you think????
We've been through this before.
The general consensus is that most are glad to see the criminals dealt with in a swift blow, commensurate to the crime, while most agree that there are inherent dangers to vigilante justice, in case there is a mistake in identity, and then there are those who feel that it is completely unacceptable and that justice should only be dealt with by the justice system.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Hi everyone,

What do you think????

I guess everybody's out celebrating. I'm all for it.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
It seems that this is what is happening more and more frequently and nobody is commenting about it.

There is plenty of comment i.e. readers' letters in online newspapers etc. I don't think you need be personally too worried for your own safety, suzannel. Seems to me it's pretty rare the lynch parties make a mistake on identity, although there is always the danger of collateral damage if weapons are in untrained hands.

I don't think there is any conspiracy of silence on DR1 about this - as Rocky says it has been discussed before. Mostly expats have their protection in place against a range of things here & then just get on & enjoy their lives. If I was to worry about such things I'd personally be more worried about a weapon in the hand of a crackhead desperate for his next fix than one in the hand of a sober (if angry) citizen chasing down someone who had just robbed him.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Just look where these events tak place in the first place: No where near you, or any of us for that matter.
Then thiink about this: The people who are doing the "lynching" are neighbors of the 'alleged' victims, and in many cases know who the "alleged" criminals are. There are scarcely much chance of make a major mistake.

Then, notice how the police and even the local prosecutors are asking for stiffer justice.

then read today's AM editorial in the Diario Libre. It says , basically, that when people do not trust any of the institutions charged with carry out justice, then they do it themselves...

So, lynchings? Okay...okay it might be a nasty way to go, but so what? I was not stealing some woman's purse....

And did you see where an angry mob beat up and shot a former cop who was beating up a woman after what may have been a fender-bender??? The people flocked to defend the woman!!! shot the guy and stoned an AMET guy who tried to put a stop to it all (Now there was a truly innocent by-stander..

HB

fightfish

Jan 11, 2008
I would say lynchings are a pretty safe way to administer justice without having any bystanders getting hurt, unless a tree branch breaks and falls. Better than bullets and just as cheap. If a community is willing to clean up one neighborhood at a time, I applaud the initiative. It also sends a pretty strong message to the would be criminals, and makes the police look as ineffective as they really are.

ben oregon

Apr 20, 2008
in the island the punishment never fit the crime!So far that i am concern they can hang those gang bangers very hi and short,i'll provide the rope my self if needed.From time to time this politic is needed to keep us a little safer.No justice is equal even in the USA.

Bob Boyd

Feb 3, 2004
I don’t know if you want to call it a lynching or not, but the killing by police of one of the banditos that attacked Craig Honeyman and left him for dead, on El Choco Road last week, is justice without a court hearing. Same is true of the police killing the guy who killed Hugh Gannon last year.

bluemoonnyc

Oct 4, 2007
maybe there are not as many guns around,which is a good thing, and since the lynchers know the lynchees there is no mistaken identity.Sounds like the citizens are solving the problem themselves.

May 12, 2005
What do you expect when the police and courts are corrupt and largely ineffective?? If you can't do the time, don't do the crime. I am sure this street justice is a far better deterrent to crime than any prison sentence.

suzannel

Jun 7, 2006
Mob Justice!!!!

I have read through the comments and I can see most of you think that this is a solution to the problem of ineffective police work.

I have read articles about this and even the top police official is quoted in a recent newspaper article as blaming a poor justice system which is too soft on sentencing, for this mob justice.

When you read about this it is one thing, however, the video on You Tube in the previous quote is truely disturbing. Other You Tube videos indicate that this trend is not solely a DR based probleme, some other videos are from Mexico and Guatemala.

As a sidebar, the fact that we can now see killings on home computers through You Tube is even more disturbing!!!!!

Gabriela

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
Not Good for Tourism or Investment

I'm sure lynchings will do the DR as much good as they did the American South, and the blacks there. A mob requires no proof of guilt. Shame on you all for your glee. If white folk were being lynched, I'm sure you'd all be outraged.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I'm sure lynchings will do the DR as much good as they did the American South, and the blacks there. A mob requires no proof of guilt. Shame on you all for your glee. If white folk were being lynched, I'm sure you'd all be outraged.
Shame on you for assuming that we are all racist.
The thought never entered my mind, and surely none of the other posters either.
People who play the race card, are usually the racist ones, as it's always on their minds, so they think of things like that.
While we're thinking of the criminals being taught a lesson and punished for their crimes, you could give a damn about it and are busy spreading your racist hatred.
People like you disgust me.

suzannel

Jun 7, 2006

I don't know where your comment is coming from, no one here ever mentioned race, why are you?????

You are the one who is looking like the racist........

Gabriela

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
Fine, forget race

Lynching and mob justice are barbaric. People who advocate either are barbarians, and ignorant of the consequences. As for race and class, let me know when they start lynching expats, lawyers or rich people.:rambo:

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
There's a huge difference between advocating something & accepting that it happens. I don't advocate it but I do accept it & I think I have some understanding of why it happens. By & large expats aren't lynched because most of them don't rob homes. I wouldn't like to be in the shoes of the British alleged pedophile currently in Fortaleza though............. Maybe rich people & lawyers get kidnapped rather than lynched?